Lovin' Thickums since '88 Cheesin's Avatar
    Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000)

why does a flat bench press hurt my shoulder?

but inclining doesn't hurt it at all? I don't get it. I'm already afraid to flat bench without a spotter (bad experiences), so it makes me want to do it even less.

At the moment I'm focusing on Inclining to get my upper chest to catch up, but I still do one flat set. Do you think I should: A)suck it up and lower the weight or B)try out machines and dumbells until it doesn't hurt or I get a spotter?

I noticed that my shoulder doesn't hurt nearly as much, if at all, when I'm inclining or using machines. Haven't tried dumbells yet, since I'm just recovering from a wrist injury.

I am almost completely concerned with mass (specifically upper and mid chest mass and definition), but i would still like to build my bench strength (everybody thinks I can bench more than I can).

Tanners21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2nd that..depending on the weight, my L shoulder hurts from the flat bench, but mine could be from playing football for 14 years..

kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well the above statement shows a lot of ignorance areas of lifting other than bodybuilding (training for aesthetic reasons). There are many reasons to use a barbell bench and (barring underlying conditions mentioned below) absolutely NO reason to avoid a PROPERLY performed bench. First off what are your goals (i.e. are you training for aesthetics or strength, and while they are not mutually exclusive it will determine the route you take).

With that said lets look into the bench. The bench is generally considered to have the highest injury rating or all the major lifts. This is generally a combination of the above statement (many do use it as an EGO lift, and therefore press far more than they should) and the underlying issues causing your problem.

The main reasons (beside egos) that leads to shoulder injuries during the bench is poor form and lack of shoulder strength. Barring any underlying shoulder problems (injuries or bad joint structure) there is NO reason to avoid the bench if used and performed correctly.

I cannot determine which of the two reasons is the primary reason for your pain, but it is generally a combination of BOTH to some degree or another. Take weight off the bench for now, and focus on correct form (sadly the vast majority of lifters in the gym have NO idea of correct form when it comes to bench. For a basic overview check out this (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...he_Bench_Press) and search around here on BB.com. The bench is a greatly misunderstood lift. Add some shoulder strengthening exercises (standing press specifically) and focus on your form. I used to have similar problems until I slowly trained myself out of my bad habits and properly trained to lift correctly. I now max over 300# with NO pain during or after.

Now with that said, if you are only concerned with aesthetics than you can do away with the barbell bench and use the dumbbell as advised above, but it will NOT give you the true strength of a flat barbell bench.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bull****. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Rippetoe

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

Lovin' Thickums since '88 Cheesin's Avatar
    Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000) Cheesin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kziwarrior View Post
    Well the above statement shows a lot of ignorance areas of lifting other than bodybuilding (training for aesthetic reasons). There are many reasons to use a barbell bench and (barring underlying conditions mentioned below) absolutely NO reason to avoid a PROPERLY performed bench. First off what are your goals (i.e. are you training for aesthetics or strength, and while they are not mutually exclusive it will determine the route you take).

With that said lets look into the bench. The bench is generally considered to have the highest injury rating or all the major lifts. This is generally a combination of the above statement (many do use it as an EGO lift, and therefore press far more than they should) and the underlying issues causing your problem.

The main reasons (beside egos) that leads to shoulder injuries during the bench is poor form and lack of shoulder strength. Barring any underlying shoulder problems (injuries or bad joint structure) there is NO reason to avoid the bench if used and performed correctly.

I cannot determine which of the two reasons is the primary reason for your pain, but it is generally a combination of BOTH to some degree or another. Take weight off the bench for now, and focus on correct form (sadly the vast majority of lifters in the gym have NO idea of correct form when it comes to bench. For a basic overview check out this (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...he_Bench_Press) and search around here on BB.com. The bench is a greatly misunderstood lift. Add some shoulder strengthening exercises (standing press specifically) and focus on your form. I used to have similar problems until I slowly trained myself out of my bad habits and properly trained to lift correctly. I now max over 300# with NO pain during or after.

Now with that said, if you are only concerned with aesthetics than you can do away with the barbell bench and use the dumbbell as advised above, but it will NOT give you the true strength of a flat barbell bench.
    Thanks bro. As I said, I am mostly concerned with aesthetics. Strength is a bonus for the most part, but I DO think I'm more concerned about my bench strength WAY more than strength for any other exercise. However, I think I'll stick to dumbells until I get a spotter, IF it will not slow down the mass building process.

kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cheesin View Post
    Thanks bro. As I said, I am mostly concerned with aesthetics. Strength is a bonus for the most part, but I DO think I'm more concerned about my bench strength WAY more than strength for any other exercise. However, I think I'll stick to dumbells until I get a spotter, IF it will not slow down the mass building process.
    No, the dumbbells will not slow the mass building, and can actually increase it (better isolation). But they won't translate directly into bench #s, so if you are concerned with being able to put up big numbers than there's no alternative. As for a spotter, there's really no need unless you're doing 1RPM (which should only be every few weeks). I do my personal workout at home with no spotters, guest lower the weight and focus on your form (and add the standing press for your shoulder). Actually no using a spotter will HELP your numbers (it's one of those mind over matter things, with a spotter it's easy to give up, when you know the bars coming at you it's a different story ). Happy lifting.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bull****. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Rippetoe

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

jamiemclean984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kziwarrior View Post
    No, the dumbbells will not slow the mass building, and can actually increase it (better isolation). But they won't translate directly into bench #s, so if you are concerned with being able to put up big numbers than there's no alternative. As for a spotter, there's really no need unless you're doing 1RPM (which should only be every few weeks). I do my personal workout at home with no spotters, guest lower the weight and focus on your form (and add the standing press for your shoulder). Actually no using a spotter will HELP your numbers (it's one of those mind over matter things, with a spotter it's easy to give up, when you know the bars coming at you it's a different story ). Happy lifting.
    I've read all the previous comments but have but the problems that have I have don't seem to be resolved by the eb ove statements nor are they the reasons of which I sustained the injuries . I usually have no problems with joints or structure but revecently my joints have been giving me great problems whilst exercising my elbo seems to click when extending yet the pain occurs when I contract with even minimal weight and my shoulder has has recently started to play up aswell . I am quite literally surrounded by personal trainers who all ask the same question .. " have I recently injured myself ?" I have good form and hold a steady pace but recently have had to drop we sights by 20% still for my elbo and shoulder to give way if anyone could help me It would be greatly appreciated many thanks j

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    5 year old thread

I had shoulder problems benching - then I started shrugging regularly with a decently heavy weight - now I never have such problems.

skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) skel1977 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had shoulder pains benching as well. Switched to using chains(less weight at the bottom, less stress on shoulder) and training more with dumbells as well. After a few months no more problems doing flat bar bench

unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) unstrong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jamiemclean984 View Post
    I've read all the previous comments but have but the problems that have I have don't seem to be resolved by the eb ove statements nor are they the reasons of which I sustained the injuries . I usually have no problems with joints or structure but revecently my joints have been giving me great problems whilst exercising my elbo seems to click when extending yet the pain occurs when I contract with even minimal weight and my shoulder has has recently started to play up aswell . I am quite literally surrounded by personal trainers who all ask the same question .. " have I recently injured myself ?" I have good form and hold a steady pace but recently have had to drop we sights by 20% still for my elbo and shoulder to give way if anyone could help me It would be greatly appreciated many thanks j
    Good form by what standard? If you're letting your elbows drop far below the bench due to lack of shoulder retraction, and/or using a large amount of elbow flare, the stress on the shoulder and elbow is going to be much greater due to increased torque and less efficient leverage.

Check out "so you think you can bench?" on Youtube and watch Dave Tate take a guy suffering from shoulder problems and get him benching more than ever without any pain.