Closed Thread
    Registered User WonderlandRabbit88's Avatar
    WonderlandRabbit88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight watchers scale...is it accurate

So I have this weight watchers digital scale from Wal-mart (or target)...

It measures body fat as well as weight.

well my body fat is always 19.5-21.5%

Now I know I am not a "sexy abs" kindas guy, but I am fairly scrwany besides my gut....

Does anyone have experience with these home scales and how accurate the body fat readings are????

I am willing to accept 20% BF if that is correct, but I do not want to be going off a inflated measurment.

Recap: are these home scales accurate (especially the WW scale)??
    Also based off of my few progress pics I have up, does my body composition look like 20% BF?

Thanks in advance all!!!!
    "Escapin' through the Lily fields I came across an empty space. It trembled and exploded, left a bus stop in its place. The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

"The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. "

"Are you experienced?"

Fat Man Little Head DJStevieRay's Avatar
    DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the weight watchers scale, and for the most part it is very accurate. 2 things that affect the accuracy of this scale, is your internal hydration. Make sure you drink plenty of water daily, and it seems to make the scale more accurate.....
    Also sweaty feet seem to change the reading. I have weighed in after a work out with sweaty feet, then dried them off and my % changed a little bit. For the most part they are accurate within 1-3%. Just remember to use it as a guide. You can't measure on the scale, then use a different scale or calipers as a comparison. If you use the same scale week in, and week out, if you see the numbers going down you are heading in the right direction, if the bf% #'s are increasing it usually means you are going the wrong way.
    Body Transformation Group.... http://groups.bodybuilding.com/body_transformation

Trying to get back on that horse.....again.

interesting

Originally Posted by DJStevieRay View Post
    I have the weight watchers scale, and for the most part it is very accurate. 2 things that affect the accuracy of this scale, is your internal hydration. Make sure you drink plenty of water daily, and it seems to make the scale more accurate.....
    Also sweaty feet seem to change the reading. I have weighed in after a work out with sweaty feet, then dried them off and my % changed a little bit. For the most part they are accurate within 1-3%. Just remember to use it as a guide. You can't measure on the scale, then use a different scale or calipers as a comparison. If you use the same scale week in, and week out, if you see the numbers going down you are heading in the right direction, if the bf% #'s are increasing it usually means you are going the wrong way.
    ----
    I never realized the sweaty feet thing!
    I weigh myself in the morning after bathroom before breakfast.

okay so the 20% BF range could be right on....

Anyone else?? Keep it coming!
    "Escapin' through the Lily fields I came across an empty space. It trembled and exploded, left a bus stop in its place. The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

"The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. "

"Are you experienced?"

Your Body group

Originally Posted by DJStevieRay View Post
    ----
    I noticed in your signature you are part of a body transformation group...do you find it productive to be a part of? I do not have much experience with the groups yet...

"Are you experienced?"

Fat Man Little Head DJStevieRay's Avatar
    DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10) DJStevieRay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started the Bodyspace group, as a support group for a thread ...(The Body Transformation Group March-May. I do find it motivational to see others going through the same as you. Everyone in the thread, and group support each other while trying to achieve our goals....
    Body Transformation Group.... http://groups.bodybuilding.com/body_transformation

Trying to get back on that horse.....again.

Anyone else...please feel free to share your thoughts on BF readings from home scales...experiences/stories/opinions!!!!

"Are you experienced?"

barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WonderlandRabbit88 View Post
    Anyone else...please feel free to share your thoughts on BF readings from home scales...experiences/stories/opinions!!!!
    I stopped doing it at home due to inaccurate readings. I now go to some diet doctors place and use his bf machine, it's called Tanita Body Composition Analyzer, I'm hoping it's somewhat accurate. I do however still measure myself, which is good to do, along with pictures, which i believe are the best indications of fat loss you can get.
    6 week PSMF cut log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124060021

Originally Posted by barook View Post
    I stopped doing it at home due to inaccurate readings. I now go to some diet doctors place and use his bf machine, it's called Tanita Body Composition Analyzer, I'm hoping it's somewhat accurate. I do however still measure myself, which is good to do, along with pictures, which i believe are the best indications of fat loss you can get.
    How off was the home scale compared to the docs measurments??

I agree pics and also just how you feel are the best ways!!!

"Are you experienced?"

CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50) CarbonKILL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah a scale can be decent but for an accurate reading getting it done is the best way.

BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't trust these electronic scales to measure bodyfat at all.

I bought an omron body fat monitor and the reading has stayed static at around 30% (although it can go up or down as much as 1% when using more than once at the same time!), but I have lost weight and using another body fat monitor my fat level has dropped significantly in the last few months.

I also have weight watchers scales with a foot pad and I don't trust them further than I can throw them...... even the weight measurement is usually 4lbs lighter than anywhere else and it can vary by as much as 2lbs from one moment to the next.
    Start 28th August 2014 = 291 lb.

Dec 1st to Feb 28th cut:
    Dec 1 = 266.5.
    Feb 28 goal = 248

barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10) barook is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WonderlandRabbit88 View Post
    How off was the home scale compared to the docs measurments??

I agree pics and also just how you feel are the best ways!!!
    while at home, i calculated my bf using a tape measure, so no experience with the scale your using in particular. as of now, i'd be 23.79% with the tape measure, but i should be about 21.5ish at least atm, so like 2-3% diff.
    6 week PSMF cut log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124060021

markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have a weight watchers scale, and i dont think the measurements are as accurate for people with lots of muscle mass. i weigh a lot, but i have pretty defined abs, and its showing me at 17. false.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by markney View Post
    i have a weight watchers scale, and i dont think the measurements are as accurate for people with lots of muscle mass. i weigh a lot, but i have pretty defined abs, and its showing me at 17. false.
    what exactly do you think your scale is using to measure your bodyfat? how does it differentiate between a 6'2 225 that is jacked and one that is obese? No
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some scales, even some weight watchers scales, also do bodyfat testing. Not the most accurate in the world, but it probably gives you an idea of progress over time, similar to calipers or other methods.
    --- Nick ---

tfalk19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

WW BF scale

I have use the Conair weight watchers scale and it seems to be accurate for weight and BMI but for body fat it's completely off. I actually took it with me to my hydrostatic water body fat test and weighed in right next to it and it was about 15% off. That's too much!! The hydrostatic body fat test said I was 8.3% and the weight watchers scale said 24.3%!!!!! So now I just measure the difference between my body fat from week to week, as opposed to the total number. I wish there was a way to calibrate it! I hate that it is gender&age specific. What difference should that make?! Right?!

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tfalk19 View Post
    So now I just measure the difference between my body fat from week to week, as opposed to the total number. I wish there was a way to calibrate it! I hate that it is gender&age specific. What difference should that make?! Right?!
    But those scales don't actually "measure" bodyfat, they measure resistance which is effected by a number of things ( quantity of body fat being one of many). From what I've seen, they tend to rely a lot on population averages, hence the need for entering all sorts of info like height/age/gender and the most annoying of all "athletic" vs. normal. If these things actually measured bodyfat in any remotely direct fashion, that info wouldn't be necessary.

15% is a huge swing, though, but I am sure that's because contest-lean women are real outliers in the scheme of things.

JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    But those scales don't actually "measure" bodyfat, they measure resistance which is effected by a number of things ( quantity of body fat being one of many). From what I've seen, they tend to rely a lot on population averages, hence the need for entering all sorts of info like height/age/gender and the most annoying of all "athletic" vs. normal. If these things actually measured bodyfat in any remotely direct fashion, that info wouldn't be necessary.

15% is a huge swing, though, but I am sure that's because contest-lean women are real outliers in the scheme of things.

got one today.. taking it back. My avi photo is pretty up to date and it said I weighed 183.7 in underwear and read a 22% bodyfat...
    ♡♡ѾѾѾMiscers That Love Dat Ass CrewѾѾѾ♡♡

1* 2 GIVE

Those who say more than they do can count on a well exercised mouth and a weak body.

I always rape back. PM if I dont.

andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andyat11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JoCoLoCo View Post
    got one today.. taking it back. My avi photo is pretty up to date and it said I weighed 183.7 in underwear and read a 22% bodyfat...
    You on creatine? I find myself to be much higher % when on creatine.

JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JoCoLoCo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by andyat11 View Post
    You on creatine? I find myself to be much higher % when on creatine.
    nah been off for 6 months
    ♡♡ѾѾѾMiscers That Love Dat Ass CrewѾѾѾ♡♡

1* 2 GIVE

Those who say more than they do can count on a well exercised mouth and a weak body.

I always rape back. PM if I dont.

nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000) nickyfondz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah I'm really happy that some people say this isn't accurate. It has me at 179 and 26.4%. I don't think I'm even close to that. Maybe more around the 16% area

axellence has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Happy

Wow - I am so happy to have found this.

I know I still have a lot of work to go, and I certainly can pinch an inch or two, but I know I'm not OBESE!

Originally Posted by nickyfondz View Post
    Yeah I'm really happy that some people say this isn't accurate. It has me at 179 and 26.4%. I don't think I'm even close to that. Maybe more around the 16% area

JFin80 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Inaccurate

I don't think it's accurate in the least. I use it several times a week and it notes I'm 24% bf. There is a professional machine with the hand and foot sensors and it shows I'm 14%.

stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stingray72 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    They need to make a sticky about these darn scales haha.
    Why do I do this weightlifting thing for the last 34 years with all its ups and downs life has handed me? Because each time I came back stronger. NEVER GIVE UP. Gym life is about more than muscles getting bigger and weights going up. Its wisdom discipline dedication humility you name it.