Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Recovering Addicts.....Find Strength in Lifting!!

Lets hear it for those of us who have battled addiction with alcohol and drugs.....hit rock bottom in our lives and have come to find an understanding of how we cant let addiction control our lives and who have found lifting/bodybuilding/working out, a source of strength and motivation to rise above the demons that once dragged us down!!!

i came back from a couple combat tours from iraq, and found my life spiraling out of control because i couldnt control my binge drinking problems.....and it nearly killed me!!! i got help and went back to hitting the gym, and i find that relief, that motivation, and that sense of strength and will to maintain my sobriety and feel good about moving on with my life!!!

If youre a recovering addict and use lifting as a source of support and motivation as i do.......lets hear it!!! BE PROUD OF YOURSELF...i know i am!
    i support you...so lets support each other!
    "Give them nothing...But take from them.......Everything"

jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    While Im not a recovering addict, just wanted to stop in and wish you all the best on your recovery. Unlike a few guys I know, you have made a decision to change your life through weight training. More power to you brother.

Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    been clean for over 16 years. discovered bbbuilding after i cleaned up. actually, rediscovered.. when i used, i lived to use and used to live.wasn't much time for anything else except work. i am grateful i was able to stop and stay stopped just for today. a lot of my friends in program keep coming and going. i would rather die than do that. so, i just don't do it.
    what doesn't kill you,makes you stronger.

331stroker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey, whats up players. lol. comming up on 6 years clean. and trying to tear it up here in brockton mass.its great to hear for some fellow recovering addicts.. well i hope this topic sees some more action... later for now

sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgt_kelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i thought it would too....but congrats you guys on recovery, and i definately have found the gym as a support channel!!

Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been without alcohol or drugs since 23.9.2008.
    That is nearly seven months then. I have been working out since I was 15, but until now I can actually start to see the results in the mirror.
    Check out my BodySpace!
    Last edited by Spacehead; 04-20-2009 at 03:19 AM.

keep coming back...it works if you work it!! alright!!

B-Ballin Booker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-Ballin Booker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B-Ballin Booker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sgt_kelly View Post
    keep coming back...it works if you work it!! alright!!
    God has granted me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference!!
    "Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe."

@bookertnabors

bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyform88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    one day at a time

progress not perfection

easy does it

let go let god

Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000) Spacehead is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anybody others who have recently got clean?

i guess its possible that there arent that many recovering addicts of drugs/alcohol that are lifters!! its possible!

bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdkpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    4 years sober addict alcoholic

PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Edit: why didn't my neg put this ^ douche in the red? Little help?

Second edit: pics and post were deleted.

I slowly got to the point where I realized I couldn't control my drinking a couple years ago. I've had a number of setbacks, nasty benders, but I'm sitting at 3 months sober right now, feels really good.

I've always lifted but this site helped me get more serious about it. Methylated ph/ds's ftw! Just kidding, kind of. But really, taking lifting and diet seriously enough to do ph/ds has helped me be serious enough about sobriety to not turn back.
    Last edited by PBateman; 04-30-2009 at 06:39 PM.

i dont know if you were referring to me?? i was the one who started the thread, cause i am recovering as well!! i would just like to see more people come on here, and give their shout outs to their sobriety programs!!
    so i made the comment, that truly their might not be that many addicts on here that are lifters!!
    take back the neg!!

MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a soon to be ex husband who is trying to beat the addiction to drugs and he lifts mostly every day......It has been a long battle for him and I hope he beats it..Good luck to you and the many others with have this deadly addiction.
    Newbie at ******** :p...MalibuDebi1972@aol.com

MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MalibuDebi1972 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 331stroker View Post
    hey, whats up players. lol. comming up on 6 years clean. and trying to tear it up here in brockton mass.its great to hear for some fellow recovering addicts.. well i hope this topic sees some more action... later for now
    Ahhhh...Crack Town Mass.....I went there many of times trying to find my ex, because he was either pimping out his car or walking to streets to get his next high...Those were very sad days. I always said, if I ever won a large lottery. I would open a safe haven for addicts to get clean..I still pray to God that I never get that call that something bad has happened.
    Last edited by MalibuDebi1972; 04-30-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Newbie at ******** :p...MalibuDebi1972@aol.com

PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PBateman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sgt_kelly View Post
    i dont know if you were referring to me?? i was the one who started the thread, cause i am recovering as well!! i would just like to see more people come on here, and give their shout outs to their sobriety programs!!
    so i made the comment, that truly their might not be that many addicts on here that are lifters!!
    take back the neg!!
    Haha, the post I was referring to has since been deleted. It was making light of this thread and addiction. I repped you already, btw. The poster who was deleted got the neggzzz.

Great thread, I hope to see more posters.

cool beans...thanks for coming to this post!! its good to see people on here getting better and finding lifting as a good source of motivation and strength!

Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gjobsin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thouht i was wierd. I am a recovering addict too. Bing drinker for the past 5 years, I'm 22. I also Took tons of vicodin and Oxy contin, i can't believe I'm alive. after mixing pills and alcohol in order to enhance the effect that seemed to be gone, Id go to sleep thinking I probably won't wake up. and ofourse there is all the ***** and atleast a half ounce of weed every 5 days or so and coke on the weekends here and there. I had my heart broken and was forced to get to the bottom of what is making me so self destructive and i turned to fitness. I have lost 25 pounds in 5 months and my body fat is down 8 percent. I drink a few beers here and there, somthing like a six pack a week. I plan to even get rid of that, the appeal is completley gone. I can't thank that rotten hood rat any more for breaking my heart!

I really would like to see the mountain of substances I've taken in a pile.....

oh yeah and last summer i got a DUI arrest, I had excasty, vicodin, *****, ******* and alcohol in my system. My girl drove me home and my dumb ass walked the mile back to my car and got pulled over in front of my house. In the cell i was certain my blood would break the machine or have the analyst positive there was a mistake. low and behold i show up for my court date and the charges were dropped.Now i can't explain here to you how lucky i get in brushes with the law but right then I knew the gig is up and it was time to get my life straight.
    Last edited by Gjobsin; 05-01-2009 at 03:10 PM.

bump

djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) djwolford has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm clean because I still use random substances on occasion but the more serious I get about lifting the cleaner I get. I've already seen a huge improvement in my personal/social life because of it, and wouldn't go back for anything.

Good luck to all of my clean living brothers and congrats. Being a quitter is a huge accomplishment friends.
    💪💪💪Dirty South Crew💪💪💪
    �Possibly DRunk Posting Crew�
    ☆Building a Peel of Steel☆

foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't know if all recovering addicts find a home in bodybuilding/powerlifting.

I used to have a workout partner who used to be a former drinker and drug user. He got off those vices and got into bodybuilding. Then he got hooked on steroids big time. He went from 169 lbs at 5'10 to 247 lbs. in two years.

Once he had a freaky body, he had lots of women which became his new vice. But then he meet one into religion. He dropped bodybuilding and then got heavily into her religion.

It seemed to me that he got hooked very easy on vices and anything that was presently going on in his life. He was too easily influenced by others.
    Still want to be a 300-pound freak!

well the root of his problem really might not of been his addictions to things, but possibly the underlying need to be a part of something and be accepted by it for his own personal comfort. who knows...
    youre right not every addict finds a home in lifting, but the hope being for those that do....that there is a community out there who has had the same issues and found lifting to be a sense of strength and recovery where one can feel good about making their body and hopefully their life better.

thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000) thedudesdad is just really nice. (+1000)
    I will be sober for 2 years at the end of the month. I am just glad I finally got the gift of desperation and sought help and actually listened this time.

ooohh good...thought we had lost some posts on here!!

just passed my 120 days of sobriety this past week!!!! woot woot!!
    combat vets out there with the same issue....ive been in combat, ive felt the pain, used to numb, and found it didnt work!! i pray for every one of you!!

psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50) psychopath. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was addicted to ******* and oxycontin for three years, hardcore alcoholic for 6 years and weed for 13 years. I went to three drug inpatient rehabs and only recovered when doing time in prison. Lifting weights changes my life and since 2003, I have been lifting 20 hours a week and have been 100% clean off everything since October 2006 when I got out. Since 2003, I went from weighing 116 lbs. to getting as heavy as 210 lbs. My progress pics show the progression of a sick weak strung out individual into the dedicated bodybuilder I am today. Lifting weights gives me a channel to transfer all the negative energy I carry with me at all times into something positive because I feel like I'm on the verge of snapping from the second I get up till I go to sleep.
    Deadlift more than you can shrug

well im proud that you maintain the sobriety...it definately takes alot, and its great to hear that lifting has done you well...you look great man!

Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tim Maloney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    need some prayers my way. fighting depression again. when i get this way all i can do is work. and only that cause i have too. don't want to use and not going to either. i learned a long time ago. i have never have to use against my will, just for today.

off topic, where are all the women addicts. maybe they don't train as much.

thanks brothers for being there.
    what doesn't kill you,makes you stronger.

leatherpuke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    April 22nd, 2007. Last time I took a drink. Never looking back.

10 more days left in Iraq, then it's back to a decent gym at Baumholder, Germany.