stall101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Routine for Aesthetic Gains?

Hello all.

I am looking for a weight routine that will give me the most aesthetic gains for a beginner. Does anyone have any recommendations for either an already developed program, or a suggestion for a routine I could do to look better.

I have access to a barbell and weight, and a bench with leg levers.

Thanks

Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hostage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A great pleasure in life is doing things people say you cannot do. - Walter Bagehot

I don't think I am strong enough to do anywhere near 150 pounds on any lift...

I guess I am more concerned about hypertrophy, opposed to strength. Should I attempt to set a routine to get a full body workout? Three days a week, with something like legs, chest, arms? 12 - 10 - 8 for reps?

_Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by stall101 View Post

I guess I am more concerned about hypertrophy, opposed to strength. Should I attempt to set a routine to get a full body workout? Three days a week, with something like legs, chest, arms? 12 - 10 - 8 for reps?
    So don't start with anywhere near 150lbs.. :P
    Career Mod Negs: 4

Originally Posted by _Ishy View Post
    So don't start with anywhere near 150lbs.. :P
    True...

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP,

The beginner programme recommended will work, if you do. I know you want hypertrophy more than strength, but you also have to realize that building yourself up requires a base of strength to work from. All of the old-timers, even Steve Reeves (who to my way of thinking had the best natural physique of all time) trained on the basics. Having "shape" and "aesthetics" is largely genetic--if you have a wide waist and hips (as I do) or high calves, then no matter what you do, you'll never look "perfect" in the classical sense.

No biggie; the whole idea is to build yourself up ALL OVER--beef up first, then carve off the steak, as the saying goes. If you have naturally slim hips and wide clavicles, then whatever you do will accentuate those traits; if you don't, just pack on as much muscle as you can and worry about it later.

FWIW, start with this programme, eat well and often, develop your strength and you will get size--all newbs do IF they train hard AND eat right. After six months to a year, step back and analyze what's lacking. If you're objective enough, you'll figure what needs more work and what needs less.

Good luck.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I guess I am more concerned about hypertrophy, opposed to strength
    Better change your mindset here.

If you're not hungry (or conerned) to increase bar weight (strength), hypertrophy will be a longgg drawn out process. I'm not saying stength = hypertrophy but there better be a concern there as it leads to hypertrophy more than any other single variable in the hypertrophy mix.

Guyjin has it right, and you better get the lifts over 150 if you want your hard work to reflect on your physique.

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Look here for workout templates:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm

Start with full body routines, three workouts a week, 3 sets of 10 reps, 1 minute rest between set. Add weight when you can do 10 reps for all 3 sets. Do 20 reps for calves and abs.

E.g.,

Squat (medium or close stance - do hack squats or use DBs if you don't have a rack)
    Leg Curl
    Standing Calf Raise (both feet simultaneously)
    Flat Bench Press
    Pullup/Pulldown (or Barbell Row if you don't have a lat tower)
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Curl
    Lying Triceps Extension
    Crunches

When you stop gaining size from the above routine or find you can't train three times a week anymore because you are getting too tired, take a week off. After your layoff start another cycle but with a different rep range, either 8 or 12, or you can stick to 3x10 but use different exercises. Alternative rep ranges for calves and abs are 15 or 30.

When you've outlived the usefulness of full body routines (you'll know as size gains will stop coming) then move to an upper/lower split routine, 4 workouts a week, 3 sets of 8 reps for the first workout and 3 sets of 12 reps for the second workout. Stick to 1 min rest between sets.

E.g.,

#1:

Squat
    Leg Extension
    Lunges
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    Leg Curl
    Crunch
    Front Plank
    Lunge Position Calf Raise (equivelent to a seated calf raise)
    Standing Calf Raise (one leg at a time with a DB)

#2:
    Incline Bench Press
    Flat Bench Press
    Pullup/Pulldown
    Barbell Row
    Side Lateral Raise
    Overhead Press
    Incline Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Overhead Triceps Extensions with DBs
    Close Grip Bench Presses/Close Grip Push Ups

When you stop gaining size from the above routine or find you can't train four times a week anymore because you are getting too tired, take a week off. After a week restart the cycle with different a rep range or switch the exercises.

The next level is a 3-way split done once every 5-7 days.
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

Wow, thanks for the useful post Leyton Stone!

And gathering from the other posts, I should also work on increasing the weight at every workout. If I was to do a routine similar to the first one Leyton Stone suggested, how should I progress the weight? 5 pounds each week, but add 5 pounds each day on the squats? Or something else?

Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wow, thanks for the useful post Leyton Stone!

And gathering from the other posts, I should also work on increasing the weight at every workout. If I was to do a routine similar to the first one Leyton Stone suggested, how should I progress the weight? 5 pounds each week, but add 5 pounds each day on the squats? Or something else?
    Add weight when you can when you can complete the prescribed number of reps and sets. I won't specify a weight because sometimes you will feel stronger and other times weaker. So some weeks you might be able to lift 10lbs more, other weeks you might not be able to add any weight.

As a bodybuilder your goal is to get bigger muscles. Don't get into the mistake of fixating on how much you can lift. Weight is just a means to an end, not the end itself. Measure progress by what you see in the mirror, photographs of yourself and the measuring tape.
    "I not only don't use gloves, I file the skin off my palms before each workout. I also wrap double sided tape about the bar, sprinkle broken glass on it, dip it in acid, then wrap it in razor wire. I also plug the bar into an outlet, and stand in a bucket of water." - Defiant1

Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chase16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stones advice was great. Negatives, Isometrics, Forced Reps also help bust plateus and are very useful. You can try supersetting some of the exercises as well once you've gotten used to the routine. For example, identify your Core Lifts by evaluating which stimulates the most muscle/growth, requires the most intensity, and whether or not it is a compound lift. Super Set them by imediately choosing a supplemental exercise. Take Bench Press. After completing 1 set, go to dumbbell Bench, or a (Tricep Extension) type exercise imediately after and do a set of THAT.

For your question about how to add weight. On squats. I swear by straight sets of 7-10. example. Squats 3x10 add 5 lbs to your 3rd and Final Set. When you can complete all 3 sets succesfully, start you next workout with the weight that you previously ramped to.
    Below is an example of a successful work out and how to increase the weight.
    1. Squats 3x10 225-225-230/(maybe 235)
    2. Squats 3x10 230-230-235/(maybe 240)
    3. Squats 3x10 235-235-240/(maybe 245) See where I am going?...

Hope this helps =)

"Everybody want's to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift some heavy ass weight"! -Ronnie Coleman
    Last edited by Chase16; 04-13-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

_Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here is something similar to the routine Leyton suggested written by all pro. I'd go with that over the two..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    Career Mod Negs: 4

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It's very appricated. I've started to make steps nutrition wise (cleaner eatting, and getting most of my calories from protein opposed to carbs), and I already do cardio (jogging or biking), so I am finally ready to add the piece de restance.

One final, quick question. I should do calf raises on stairs with dumbbells, correct?

Thanks agian everyone.

Yes

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've started to make steps nutrition wise (cleaner eatting, and getting most of my calories from protein opposed to carbs)
    I am not sure how cutting out carbs will help you to bulk, unless you are on a ketogenic diet. You see, there is a limit to how much protein can be effectively utilized to build muscles. Excess proteins will get converted to carbs and used up for energy. So, why cut out carbs in the first place?

Eating a balanced diet will be much easier too, as opposed to eating excessively high protein low carb diet. 1g of protein/lb of bodyweight should be more than enough for you. So get that much of proteins and then bump up the carbs to get the required calories.

Just my 2 cents, although I am not really a nutrition expert.