Thread: 5-3-1 workout

amberjbox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5-3-1 workout

Can anyone explain the 5-3-1 workout and do you think it helps with strenght

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    5/3/1 is a very basic workout that is fairly similar to 5x5. The basic skeleton of this program is upper/lower/upper/lower split, or even just bench day squat day deadlift day. You have your main movement (bench, squat, deadlift, and military press) which you follow an actual periodization schedule for. After that you pick 1-3 assistance movements to work on your weaknesses and do about 5 sets of 10-20 reps for each.

The main lifts (the actual important part of this workout) are started fairly light. You find your 1rm, then use percentages based off of 90% of that 1rm. So say you bench press 200 lbs for a 1rm, if the workout calls for using 80% of that 1rm, you would actually be using about 145 lbs. There are 4 weeks used for each 1rm value so again using the 200 lb bench as an example, week one would be based around 5 reps, getting progressively heavier for 3 sets. The final set you go for a rep record, as it will be fairly light so 5 reps shouldn't be a problem. Week 2 would be based around 3 sets of 3 reps, week 3 would be 1x5, 1x3, then the last set would be 1x1+ again doing a rep record but not necessarily going to failure. Week 4 is a deload meaning you most likely won't use more then 50-60% of your 1rm values for the workouts. You still get the work in but it allows for active recovery. The next cycle is based on slightly higher 1rm values, 5lbs for upper body(bench, military) and 10 lbs for lower body (squat, deadlift)

Explaining it makes it seem a lot more complicated then it is, i suggest you got to elitefts.com and download the e-book.

Just like the first month or so of madcow 5x5, you start lighter then you would normally train. This not only allows you to go for some new rep records with weight you might have only been warming up with, but also gives you a longer duration of actual progress. If you were to begin at week one using your actual 5RM, you would stall very quickly. This way by the time you reach your current 5rm on the workout, you will have gotten fairly stronger already and surpass it.

Assistance can be done in a variety of ways. I use basically the same strategies with 5/3/1 as I did with all my training, pick exercises you hate to do or know you are weak with (for me floor presses, bench lockouts, lower back and single leg quad stuff kill me) I just do a bit more volume with this program than I have been.

So basically:
    -4 days per week
    -upper/lower split
    -base training %'s on 90% of your current 1rm
    -weekly rep records
    -monthly weight progression
    -3 sets of 5,3 or 5/3/1
    -5 sets of 10-20 for assitance
    -assistance exercises are your choice and you can change them every workout if you'd like

I like it a lot so far.

Thanx for the answer. What are the % for each of the weeks?

Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are a few different ways to go about it but its basic stuff, work above 70% etc. If you need more info buy the book or find a more detailed writeup somewhere :P

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Last month's Men's Fitness has the full breakdown or you can buy the book from elitefts
    *No Crew*

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And then there is this which I turned up with a real minimal amount of searching:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112382761
    *No Crew*

the perfect thanks

PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PJRolls has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    5/3/1 is a very basic workout that is fairly similar to 5x5. The basic skeleton of this program is upper/lower/upper/lower split, or even just bench day squat day deadlift day. You have your main movement (bench, squat, deadlift, and military press) which you follow an actual periodization schedule for. After that you pick 1-3 assistance movements to work on your weaknesses and do about 5 sets of 10-20 reps for each.

The main lifts (the actual important part of this workout) are started fairly light. You find your 1rm, then use percentages based off of 90% of that 1rm. So say you bench press 200 lbs for a 1rm, if the workout calls for using 80% of that 1rm, you would actually be using about 145 lbs. There are 4 weeks used for each 1rm value so again using the 200 lb bench as an example, week one would be based around 5 reps, getting progressively heavier for 3 sets. The final set you go for a rep record, as it will be fairly light so 5 reps shouldn't be a problem. Week 2 would be based around 3 sets of 3 reps, week 3 would be 1x5, 1x3, then the last set would be 1x1+ again doing a rep record but not necessarily going to failure. Week 4 is a deload meaning you most likely won't use more then 50-60% of your 1rm values for the workouts. You still get the work in but it allows for active recovery. The next cycle is based on slightly higher 1rm values, 5lbs for upper body(bench, military) and 10 lbs for lower body (squat, deadlift)

Explaining it makes it seem a lot more complicated then it is, i suggest you got to elitefts.com and download the e-book.

Just like the first month or so of madcow 5x5, you start lighter then you would normally train. This not only allows you to go for some new rep records with weight you might have only been warming up with, but also gives you a longer duration of actual progress. If you were to begin at week one using your actual 5RM, you would stall very quickly. This way by the time you reach your current 5rm on the workout, you will have gotten fairly stronger already and surpass it.

Assistance can be done in a variety of ways. I use basically the same strategies with 5/3/1 as I did with all my training, pick exercises you hate to do or know you are weak with (for me floor presses, bench lockouts, lower back and single leg quad stuff kill me) I just do a bit more volume with this program than I have been.

So basically:
    -4 days per week
    -upper/lower split
    -base training %'s on 90% of your current 1rm
    -weekly rep records
    -monthly weight progression
    -3 sets of 5,3 or 5/3/1
    -5 sets of 10-20 for assitance
    -assistance exercises are your choice and you can change them every workout if you'd like

I like it a lot so far.
    Hey...thanks for this info. I actually just saw this workout in the new Muscle and Fitness Magazine. I am very interested in trying it out. In muscle and fitness it only has 2-3 assistance exercises (sometimes the assistance is abs, lower back etc). So really, on leg day for example they post:

Back Squat 5/3/1
    Barbell Lunge 3 x 6
    Inlcine Sit-up 3 x 20

So my question is..that's only 6 total sets for legs (on deadlift day its Deadlift 5/3/1, Goodmornings 5 x 10, hanging Leg raises 5 x 10).

So in the week you arent doing much AT ALL for legs.
    Would you put in more assistance? Just curious as to why M&F put in SUCH low volume.
    Also looking online I found a Mens Fitness post that looked like the following for Leg Day

# 1 Squat
    Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
    # 2 Leg Press
    Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
    # 3 Leg Extension
    Sets: 4 Reps: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.
    # 4 Leg Curl
    # 5 Situp
    Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec

So one is normal/high volume, one looks pretty low.
    Which do you think is best? Goal is to gain size and strength (who doesnt want that though haha).

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great program, the thing that keeps it more interesting than something like Texas method imo is that you don't know how many reps you're gonna be getting on your final set. Although from week to week it's prescribed as 5 then 3 then 1, because you start light and rep out on the last set it may very well end up being 10 then 7 then 4 and you try to match that on the next cycle once you've added 10%. Keeps every work out interesting and challenging and also I'd imagine stops your body adapting to just doing 5s all the time. 5/3/1s the kind of thing a person could stick with for years.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PJRolls View Post
    Hey...thanks for this info. I actually just saw this workout in the new Muscle and Fitness Magazine. I am very interested in trying it out. In muscle and fitness it only has 2-3 assistance exercises (sometimes the assistance is abs, lower back etc). So really, on leg day for example they post:

Back Squat 5/3/1
    Barbell Lunge 3 x 6
    Inlcine Sit-up 3 x 20

So my question is..that's only 6 total sets for legs (on deadlift day its Deadlift 5/3/1, Goodmornings 5 x 10, hanging Leg raises 5 x 10).

So in the week you arent doing much AT ALL for legs.
    Would you put in more assistance? Just curious as to why M&F put in SUCH low volume.
    Also looking online I found a Mens Fitness post that looked like the following for Leg Day

# 1 Squat
    Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
    # 2 Leg Press
    Sets: 4 Reps: 10-15 Rest: 60-90 sec.
    # 3 Leg Extension
    # 4 Leg Curl
    # 5 Situp
    Sets: 4 Reps: 25 Rest: 60-90 sec

So one is normal/high volume, one looks pretty low.
    Which do you think is best? Goal is to gain size and strength (who doesnt want that though haha).
    I'd cut the leg extension and leg curl silliness, tbh, why waste your time? If you wanna add extra lifts add calf raises and glute ham raises or good mornings.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    I'd cut the leg extension and leg curl silliness, tbh, why waste your time? If you wanna add extra lifts add calf raises and glute ham raises or good mornings.
    Wendler actually recommends leg curls in one of his assistance templates

frh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Kinda off topic but can the 531 routine be done with hammer strength equipment? I just started a new gym and that is all they have other than DB's.

Originally Posted by frh View Post
    Kinda off topic but can the 531 routine be done with hammer strength equipment? I just started a new gym and that is all they have other than DB's.
    This thread is 5 years old but it popped up for me since you replied so I'll give you an answer anyways. If that is your only option I would say do what you can. It will be easier to adjust the weights on the hammer strength equipment as the dumbbells are only increments of 5 ( 10 some places) lbs and sometimes you really just can't add 5 whole lbs per side to a dumbbell exercise that rapidly.

If I was in hypothetical land and I only had a room with hammer strength stuff and dumbbells, I would do the main lifts on the hammer strength to the extent that I could ( probably hard to finagle a deadlift setup on anything like that) and do anything I could for assistance with the dumbbells.

It is far from ideal, as the movement patterns and exercises themselves are far less effective for strength gain, and that's really 5/3/1 focus is steady long term progression on the 4 barbell lifts listed. You can easily follow the same basic concepts and methods and be successful, I just can't see a hammer strength press translating to an actual flat bench very well, as well as their squat machines and overhead equipment. You will improve and get better at lifting for sure, it just might not be at the same rate or develop your muscles the same way you might with access to everything.