ShortOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cannot lose the last 5 lbs

I have hit a plateau and am having trouble losing that last 5 lbs. I workout about 5-7 days a week but I am having problems getting the last of the fat off those typical trouble spots (stomach - butt). I have 21% body fat. I know that my diet needs some tuning -- and I am working on it (my main problem being quantity not quality). What amount of time should I be spending on cardio versus weight training at the gym? I currently do 2 days of each (give or take) and a couple days where I do a bit of both. Does anyone have any tips on how to change my training to overcome this plateau?

Crys'

UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCSC12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I'm kind of in that same boat. I fear that since the last few pounds are so hard to lose, even if you get lucky enough to lose them, once they're gone and you let your diet go (even only slightly) they will come back. To compensate, I would say focus on doing more cardio. I personally do a lot more cardio now than I do weight lifting. Instead of doing insane muscle workouts, I do just enough to make sure they're still active and there. For example, instead of doing one muscle each day for 6 days, I do 3 muscles in one session, two different sessions, and don't do as much work on those muscles. Instead I aim to burn 400-500 calories each session from cardio. Good luck, it sucks.

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    3 days a week of lifting (at least). Add cardio when it is convenient.

Get your diet in check. As you said, it comes down to quantity. To continue losing, you may have to slightly reduce the amount of food you are eating.

Read this for in-depth info:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...postcount=1305
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000)
    Completely critique your calories. If you TRUELY think you are eating the correct amount. Take a week off and eat above maintenance. I would also relax on the workout. Give your body a break. Then crank it back into gear. It's what I had to do. For 3 months, I haven't lost a single pound. Did that and I'm now at 206(could be higher as my weigh in is Sunday after a cheat day).

Shock the body and metabolism is what worked for me.
    I Rep back always. Put it in comment.

500+ will 100% get repped back.

Life Progress

Started: 279lb 43% body fat
    1st Cut: 191lb 16% body fat
    1st Bulk: 231lb 26% body fat
    2010 Summer Cut: 193 10% body fat
    Bulking Currently 202 13% body fat.

ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10) ski23man is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It definitely like the other posters said up above, either a drop in calories slowly, nothing critical but talking something out of the equation, at this point most bodybuilders will start dropping carbs but keep the high protein intake to reduce as much muscle loss as possible. It is rough but there a lot of ppl that have show great results in shredding the last tid bit from slowly reducing the cals or dropping the carb ratio in the macros.

Also if you're not doin this all ready tapered the carbs towards the end of the night get most of them in during the day. Some ppl might be able to do it cals in vs cals out but for me the carb tapering has work miracles.

ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1) Get your diet in check (this is 75% of the battle).
    2) Lift heavy weights (in the 8-12 range) four days a week for 12-16 sets for legs/chest/back/shoulders and 6-8 sets for biceps/triceps/calves/traps. Make adjustments to the number of sets as dictated by your body.
    3) If you are doing 3 sets of 4 exercises as an example, make sure you reach absolute failure on the third set of each exercise after 8-12 reps. If you could do more than 12 reps, use a heavier weight next time.
    4) None of that dumbelina garbage. You couldn't grow large muscles overnight even if you wanted to.
    5) Either do cardio in the morning or after your weight training, whatever is more convenient. I find that I have to do my cardio in the morning because I don't have enough energy left after weight lifting.

put'n the ILL in ILLinos redbirdfan1's Avatar
    redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) redbirdfan1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ZidaneValor View Post
    1) Get your diet in check (this is 75% of the battle).
    2) Lift heavy weights (in the 8-12 range) four days a week for 12-16 sets for legs/chest/back/shoulders and 6-8 sets for biceps/triceps/calves/traps. Make adjustments to the number of sets as dictated by your body.
    3) If you are doing 3 sets of 4 exercises as an example, make sure you reach absolute failure on the third set of each exercise after 8-12 reps. If you could do more than 12 reps, use a heavier weight next time.
    4) None of that dumbelina garbage. You couldn't grow large muscles overnight even if you wanted to.
    5) Either do cardio in the morning or after your weight training, whatever is more convenient. I find that I have to do my cardio in the morning because I don't have enough energy left after weight lifting.
    mostly agreed but

1.I'd say diet is 90% of the battle. you can make changes to your diet and do nothing else and have results.

2. lift heavy. there are various schools of thought. I like the 4-6 rep 25 total reps the best for heavy days. also shortening your rest periods are a good boost. you can lift lighter w/ more reps but shorten your rest period up to 30-60 sec. you can work down to 30sec.

Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimspeed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Up your calories.

I was stuck at 197 for 5 weeks- then i upped my calories 200 cals and it's melting again! LOL..almost too fast..

ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000) ZidaneValor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by redbirdfan1 View Post
    1.I'd say diet is 90% of the battle. you can make changes to your diet and do nothing else and have results.
    Same difference really. We are both picking arbitrary numbers. The important factor is that it's high.

Originally Posted by redbirdfan1 View Post
    2. lift heavy. there are various schools of thought. I like the 4-6 rep 25 total reps the best for heavy days. also shortening your rest periods are a good boost. you can lift lighter w/ more reps but shorten your rest period up to 30-60 sec. you can work down to 30sec.
    This works too.

ZackTosterone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShortOne View Post
    I have hit a plateau and am having trouble losing that last 5 lbs. I workout about 5-7 days a week but I am having problems getting the last of the fat off those typical trouble spots (stomach - butt). I have 21% body fat. I know that my diet needs some tuning -- and I am working on it (my main problem being quantity not quality). What amount of time should I be spending on cardio versus weight training at the gym? I currently do 2 days of each (give or take) and a couple days where I do a bit of both. Does anyone have any tips on how to change my training to overcome this plateau?

Crys'
    I guess you answered your question. decrease the amount of food by 50 carbs or some fats anything that's going to bring it down by 200 calories... and you should be weight training 4 times a week and doing cardio for 20 minutes everyday directly after weight training..... I'm working out 4 times a week intensly and doing 40 minutes of cardio afterwards now instead of 20 in the morning and 20 after.... My food is 6 times daily and completely clean, and my calorie deficite is large but i reached it gradually. I'm 190lbs 10% bodyfat and i'm trying to get to 8%. I have a problem you don't. You have to want this as bad as sleep, as bad as breathing. Get out there and train. this is a lifestyle change. Not a quick fix.

spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    stop eating

that is all

spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000) spanishbrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jimspeed View Post
    Up your calories.

I was stuck at 197 for 5 weeks- then i upped my calories 200 cals and it's melting again! LOL..almost too fast..
    the law of thermodynamic, do u even know it ?

lol at thinking that eating more calories, somehow increased your metabolism, and made you lose fat

lmao

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    eating too much food, you arent in a deficit if you arent losing weight. Fix your diet now and dont make excuses that you are working on it.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?