bodyfitbrian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Maintenance Calorie Intake question

I have been working out for years but have never been able to shed the dreaded love handles and lower abdominal fat. I eat clean but could I be possibly eating way too little.? I currently weigh 204 lbs and I am aiming for 195 ish. I eat roughly 2000 cal per day (which Imo seems like it may be slowing down my metabolism) But I think I finally found out how to use the nutrition calculators on this site and they say that 3400 cals is a maintenance intake for me. Now my question is, if I up my callorie intake to 500 less than my maintenace intake (which is recomended for a dieting athlete), which would be 2900-3000 cals a day, will I gain weight because I have been at such a low calorie intake for so long or will my metobalism outamaticly kick in and start burning those extra cals right away since that is what I should have been eating in the 1st place.? I just get so confused with it all. And after eating so little calories, I find it really hard to eat that much in a day.
    Eatin Turkey, Chicken and Eggs until I $H!T Feathers!!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It could do either. At worse, you may gain a few pounds, mostly water, before it settles out after a few weeks. Either way, it's what you need to do. Some will advocate upping the cals slowly, while I personally just took the full plunge.

It is hard to get all of the food in at first. It took me a good 2 months to adjust. There was a lot of force feeding and incidences of feeling like it was all going to come back up. Just suck it up, or in, and do what you gotta do.

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bodyfitbrian View Post
    I have been working out for years but have never been able to shed the dreaded love handles and lower abdominal fat. I eat clean but could I be possibly eating way too little.? I currently weigh 204 lbs and I am aiming for 195 ish. I eat roughly 2000 cal per day (which Imo seems like it may be slowing down my metabolism) But I think I finally found out how to use the nutrition calculators on this site and they say that 3400 cals is a maintenance intake for me. Now my question is, if I up my callorie intake to 500 less than my maintenace intake (which is recomended for a dieting athlete), which would be 2900-3000 cals a day, will I gain weight because I have been at such a low calorie intake for so long or will my metobalism outamaticly kick in and start burning those extra cals right away since that is what I should have been eating in the 1st place.? I just get so confused with it all. And after eating so little calories, I find it really hard to eat that much in a day.

Do you actually track calories? Do you have a written plan or are you assuming you eat 2000 cals a day? And what nutrient ratios are you using?

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

same here

I have been working out for years but have never been able to shed the dreaded love handles and lower abdominal fat. I eat clean but could I be possibly eating way too little.? I currently weigh 204 lbs and I am aiming for 195 ish. I eat roughly 2000 cal per day (which Imo seems like it may be slowing down my metabolism) But I think I finally found out how to use the nutrition calculators on this site and they say that 3400 cals is a maintenance intake for me. Now my question is, if I up my callorie intake to 500 less than my mayointenace intake (which is recomended for a dieting athlete), which would be 2900-3000 cals a day, will I gain weight because I have been at such a low calorie intake for so long or will my metobalism outamaticly kick in and start burning those extra cals right away since that is what I should have been eating in the 1st place.? I just get so confused with it all. And after eating so little calories, I find it really hard to eat that much in a day.
    hey brian,I got the same problem here if i eat like they tell me i'd weight 700lbs....this is going to be about "You"...you've got to find your balance with diet.If i posted what i ate people would flip (not a lot)..No rule is going to apply to you,no generalazation either.If your trully like me it's the first place it goes on.(Pain in the ass),and the last place to come off (pain in the ass).generally it's just a pain in the ass.I'm doing the extra now to get it off,and i will adjust my diet afterwards to keep it off.as i'm getting to old for this stuff.Make peace with your diet.The rest should follow.....happy crunches....Sac
    Land of Honalee

Originally Posted by Fifty+ View Post
    Do you actually track calories? Do you have a written plan or are you assuming you eat 2000 cals a day? And what nutrient ratios are you using?
    In the begining I tracked my cals and my diet has not changed much at all!!! What I do know is yesterday I ate like horse (bout 700 cals) before chest and bi's and I felt like I could go all day!!! I usually really load up on breakfast and it tapers off as the day goes on.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks like you have a two fold question both caloric and energy. 2000 calories a day of protein only is a whole lot different than 2000 cals of simple carbs. On the first scenario you would be peeling fat off like a mo fo but would be a little bit KRANKY. You would lack energy until your body went into Keto and learned to use dietary protein and your body fat for it's fuel/energy. On the second scenario you would atrophied valuable muscle.

Experiment with various protein/fat/carb ratios and consider food timing and multiple smaller meals (5-6). Incl/ pre/post workout. And then...Only if you have the xtra coin...amino acid supplementation. This will provide energy, recovery and amazing muscle growth if to train correctly. Pre workout BCCAs, Beta Alanine. In your workout drink both CEE and L-Glutamine. After workout 60+ grams whey protein. Lipotropics twice a day (Methionine/Choline/Inositol) Bedtime Arginine/Ornathine. All natural and effective.

Who said this was going to be easy or cheap? Natural Bodybuilding my ass.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    BRIAN: I am only 5 foot 7 inches, and my maintenance is about 2800 calories these days......

I diet with 500 less per day, bringing me to about 2300.....

there is NO WAY 2000 is proper for you....has to be far under your maintain amount....

I don't know if the 3400 is completely accurate or not, but once you start going 1000 or more under, you are asking for trouble as a bodybuilder.....

if someone is grossly obese, or not a lifter at all, they could get away with that, but since we are taxing our bodies on a daily basis, it is a different situation.

and even at 2300 per day, I will have days where I up that a bit, then return to where it is......typically, something like this:

day one: 2300
    day two: 2300
    day three: 2700
    day four: 2000

and then recycle that......

also, everything Baldie said about nutrient timing is very important.

ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ExCompetitor is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Brian: It can get confusing at times because there are so many differing diets and opinions out there.Mostly good advice here and as they say there is more than one way up the mountain.Here is what i would do,Take your bodyweight 205 x 8= 1640 cals.This is what you should be taking in daily for 2 weeks while strict dieting.Now during the 2 week strict diet phase do 3 days of high protein 300gms per day (this will leave you with about 440 calories left to be made up by carbs and EFA`s) followed by 3 days high carbs 300gms per day(make up the remaining daily calorie intake with Protein and EFA`s). Now after 2 weeks strict dieting you should go to bodyweight eg. 200 x 12= 2400 cals per day.During this second two week "easier" diet cycle don`t be concerned with the macros just eat fairly clean foods with a cheat meal on Sundays.After 2 weeks of this go back to the strict diet of your new bodyweight x 8 and continue on from there until your goal is achieved.

waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) waco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This may sound nuts but what if a person can only eat one time a day? What will happen to his or her body? Calories intake would be in the low thousands I believe, so whats the consequenses if he or she works out too, Im curious.
    11B

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am maintaining 210 with 2600 calories, lifting 5 days a week and doing 7 days of at least 90 min of cardio a day. Everyone's different, you have to keep experimenting.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

aneas
    How did you figure out your caloric needs? Do you get your BF tested by someone impartial on a regular basis. When I am cutting I will have my trainer friend measure me every week. If I measured myself I think I am too tempted to cheat. I just had mine tested last night and am at 12%. I have no love handles or lower abdominal fat to speak of at that level.

Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000) Analyst is just really nice. (+1000)
    First of all, double-check your caloric intake. If (by any chance) you're not religious with recording calories, it's amazingly easy to be way off.

Second, if you regularly lift and do cardio then I doubt your metabolism has slowed significantly. Keep track of calories carefully over several weeks (don't just estimate), as well as your weight. If your weight is holding steady, try reducing calories by 250 per day or so. Does anything happen? If not, try raising the calories above your maintenance by 250. What about then?

The bottom line is truly calories in vs. burned, and there's a minimum your body can reduce your metabolism, especially if you're active (if not, no one would ever starve to death). My guess is your daily calorie intake is higher than you think.

Edit: after checking out your profile, it does look like you've lost some weight over the last year or so, but not a whole lot. How much energy do you have in the gym? Are you able to put in good efforts? Also, are you gaining strength?
    Last edited by Analyst; 04-09-2009 at 08:09 AM.

grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grillin77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i know how you feel. going so long at eating less makes you feel that when you do eat at maintenance, it feels like over eating. the past 2 weeks, ive been eating 2000 with no weight gain and fat loss is lowering little by little every week. maybe around .2-3 percent. i was previously eating 1500-1600 for 3 months and was making good progress. i then lowered to 1300 for 2 weeks and made 0 progress. now i am eating at 2000 and making slow progress. my maintenance is around 2500-2700 a day. i am around 170lbs with ~15% BF.

Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    First of all, double-check your caloric intake. If (by any chance) you're not religious with recording calories, it's amazingly easy to be way off.

Second, if you regularly lift and do cardio then I doubt your metabolism has slowed significantly. Keep track of calories carefully over several weeks (don't just estimate), as well as your weight. If your weight is holding steady, try reducing calories by 250 per day or so. Does anything happen? If not, try raising the calories above your maintenance by 250. What about then?

The bottom line is truly calories in vs. burned, and there's a minimum your body can reduce your metabolism, especially if you're active (if not, no one would ever starve to death). My guess is your daily calorie intake is higher than you think.

Edit: after checking out your profile, it does look like you've lost some weight over the last year or so, but not a whole lot. How much energy do you have in the gym? Are you able to put in good efforts? Also, are you gaining strength?

As for energy in the gym, I didn't really have alot until I would carb overload before my workout. But I have been seeing improvements in strength. I am just really trying to cut and I don't like to carb overload like I do before a workout, but I am afraid if I don't, my workouts will suffer.

Originally Posted by aneas View Post
    How did you figure out your caloric needs? Do you get your BF tested by someone impartial on a regular basis. When I am cutting I will have my trainer friend measure me every week. If I measured myself I think I am too tempted to cheat. I just had mine tested last night and am at 12%. I have no love handles or lower abdominal fat to speak of at that level.
    I know what your saying. I take my own body fat % I do the same 3 different points every test (abdominal, chest and thigh). I weighed 230lbs this time last year and even then I was at 18-20% bf. Imoa I should be getting it done by someone else other than myself but the last 4 times I did it, the readings were all very consistant. I also use a cheaper Accu Measure bf calipers (are they crap or what?) Bill Phillips, former EAS owner claims they are as close as the more pricey brands.

aneas
    I know what your saying. I take my own body fat % I do the same 3 different points every test (abdominal, chest and thigh). I weighed 230lbs this time last year and even then I was at 18-20% bf. Imoa I should be getting it done by someone else other than myself but the last 4 times I did it, the readings were all very consistant. I also use a cheaper Accu Measure bf calipers (are they crap or what?) Bill Phillips, former EAS owner claims they are as close as the more pricey brands.
    Well as long as your doing it consistenly its at least a good way to measure progress. In the end though the mirror is what matters most.

I like others doing it so I am sure I am not cheating. I get much lower when I do it myself. My older brother did his told me he was 8% BF. I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard. He had love handles and no visable abs.

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just went through this myself.

I'm 6'2", and was 205 lbs at the beginning of the year. I started reading all these boards and I was like what the hell, I'm pretty strong, but I feel like I eat like a bird...but somehow, I still have this annoying tummy flub.

After tracking my caloric intake on fitday I realized my diet was all screwed up. First, I never ate breakfast. Hardly a morsal before 12-1. Then, I'd gradually increase my eating until night. My total caloric intake was probably 2500 calories even though at my size, it should be more like 3200.

So, I started to follow some advice on the board. At carbs in the morning (oatmeal), pre and post workout meals, protien around 1.5g per lean lb of bodymass and gradually increased my calories week by week. I felt like I was force feeding myself, but my body must have figured it out...especially since I was feeding a new 5 x 5 program that was kicking my ass.

So now, I'm eating 3200+ calories. I feel like my body is "accepting" this fuel easier to the point where I actually feel and look a little tighter. I've been so satisfied with this that I've started going into surplus at 3500 to try and pack on lean muscle.

In short, I'd try to get the diet right and "find" your maintenance. From there, you, your body, and your routine can decide where to go from there once it's all in equilibrium.

KY

BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BJE is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have been working out for years but have never been able to shed the dreaded love handles and lower abdominal fat. I eat clean but could I be possibly eating way too little.? I currently weigh 204 lbs and I am aiming for 195 ish.
    I know what you mean about the lower abdominal fat. You are only talking about losing ten pounds. I don't think you metabolism would slow too much cutting back on calories to lose just that much.
    Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how complicated people try to make it to lose a little fat. I agree with the above. I never count calories, I work hard, workout hard, and if I want to lose fat I eat less, it's pretty simple if you're not trying to lose a hundred pounds or something.
    I know what your saying. I take my own body fat % I do the same 3 different points every test (abdominal, chest and thigh). I weighed 230lbs this time last year and even then I was at 18-20% bf. Imoa I should be getting it done by someone else other than myself but the last 4 times I did it, the readings were all very consistant.
    I use calipers on those three spots as well. I always do it myself because I know I can do it consistantly I don't trust others. The number I come up with may not be totally accurate, but it's consistant.

Originally Posted by aneas View Post
    In the end though the mirror is what matters most.
    I agree it's what you see that matters, not a number on the scales or BF%.

I also guage my food intake by how I feel, not a number. Why should I stuff my mouth with X number of calories just because some chart says I should be eating that much. If I go to bed feeling a little hungry I'm getting leaner, If I go to bed feeling really full I'm putting on fat.
    "Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum - Whatsoever is rightly done, however humble, is noble." Sir Henry Royce