treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Moms and finding the motivation/time

I am a mother and wife. After a year of moving fouir times and issues with my back, I am ready to get back into the gym.

I just want to know how others find that motivation/time after a long day with the kids and a house to run. How do you get that energy at the end of the day?

I can't work out in the morning. I have my own gym but my husband is off to work in the mine for 5am and after that my children of 2 and 3 are up. At least in the evening my husband is home, but is often so tired. I tend to feel bad and skip out to keep my family happy.

Any tips to get over this hurdle?

Thank youi, Treener

MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000)
    personally my night time workouts, i go omg i get to get a break from my toddler and my husband for awhile :-P Its your "you" time and as a stay at home mommy, I know you dont get it during the day lol.

also you can do workouts during the day with your kids...my lil one loves to play aorund with me while i work out
    ~Proud Army Veteran, proud Army wife, Proud supporter of our military~

"Right now is not your fate, only your state."

"Drink water and drive on"

~Aim for the stars, you might catch a cloud. Aim only for the clouds, you will catch the top of a tree~

~~I love my husband, I love my daughter, I am blessed ever day to have them~~

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    get a work out tape . Order one line or find one like that muscle confusion one.

I mean what did people do when there wasn't gyms? When my son was little and I worked all the time there was no way I would bring him back to a sitter just to work out. Actually it was so cute we would work out together. Now my son is 14 and loves it when I leave the house! He is an athlete and we still work out together.

ps
    Pilate's is great. There are ladies on here who know a lot more about w/0 DVDs
    ask about them .

sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000) sacha2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get outside and play :-) One of the best things a mom can do for her kids is model a healthy, active lifestyle and introduce them to sports and other social activities (ie. running around in the park!). Plus, a healthy active mom is one that will be around for much longer - I see a lot of extremely overweight women and wonder about their health, and think, "are you going to be around to watch your child graduate?"??? Do it for yourself and you will also be doing it for them.

treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10) treener is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everyone. I think I may of written what I meant wrong.

I want the weight training to be a part of my life. I'm not to worried about cardio and such. I would do my weight training during the day if it wasn't for my gym being set up in the basement with everything known to man in their as well. It's not a safe environment for my kids to be in. I would go to the gym but in the community I live in, they don't have a babysitting service.

I was just wondering how moms who do run around all day with kids get that boost to get a workout at the end of the day? I don't mind doing it once I'm doing it but it's getting that kick to do it.

Ha ha sacha, that is why I'm tired when it comes time to workout. Too much during the day!

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy..."

You need to make time to take care of yourself. 3x a week for about an hour at a time is plenty to start seeing positive changes.

It's really just a matter if breaking the habit of making excuses for working out. I can think of tons without young children, so you can bet when my daughter was very young I could think of even more. Finding energy gets easier once working out in the evenings is habit. My body just "knows" it's still going to be expected to work until my workout is over. If I'm ever REALLY sleepy, I'll take a power nap before my pre-workout meal and then go hit the weights...but that's about as much leeway as I'll give myself unless I think I'm getting sick or something.

"Scales Anonymous" Tinkerbell78's Avatar
    Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tinkerbell78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey... I know excactly what you mean.. I am also a mum of two (2 year old and 3 month old) and its not even about finding the time to work out but its about getting my arse in the gear after I have fed the kids, sorted them into bed, cleaned the house and done the washing etc etc. After all that all you want to do is sit down on a settee and put your feet up or have a early night and crawl into bed

Tonight I did my workout in the front of the telly whilst watching my fav soap. I am not lucky enough to have a gym ( no room in this tiny house) but I got my dumbbells and barbel hidden under the settee. My motivation is to shift this excess baby weight and tone up this body. If I dont do my exercises then no point moaning about my fat bum

Hard work it is, no doubt... but hopefully by summer I will see some results.

Heli

lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lasirena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Finding motivation

For me, I started off with writing a journal and taking photos of myself. I charted my meals, workouts, and moods. At first, it was tough to w/o, but once I got a schedule and stuck to it I could see that physically and mentally I felt much better. Now, I look forward to my w/o and the time alone. If I feel like making excuses or skip a w/o I know that I will feel like crap later, so I get up and make it happen.
    Also, my five-year-old son loves that mommy exercises. And, he knows about my food journal and is very interested to talk about what foods give you. In fact, this morning at breakfast he said, "what does protein do?" Getting started not only helps you but it teaches your kids life long lessons about the value of good nutrition and exercise.

Best of Luck to you!

mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is one of the things I struggled with most. I have six children, and a deployed husband. And I've learned that if I don't take care of me, that nobody will. As for the timing of it, yeah, sometimes I'm exhausted in the evenings, but I tell myself if I still feel too tired after ten minutes I'll stop.

I've never felt too tired after ten minutes.

Just doin' my thing... BuffedWildCat's Avatar
    BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by treener View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think I may of written what I meant wrong.

I want the weight training to be a part of my life. I'm not to worried about cardio and such. I would do my weight training during the day if it wasn't for my gym being set up in the basement with everything known to man in their as well. It's not a safe environment for my kids to be in. I would go to the gym but in the community I live in, they don't have a babysitting service.

I was just wondering how moms who do run around all day with kids get that boost to get a workout at the end of the day? I don't mind doing it once I'm doing it but it's getting that kick to do it.

Ha ha sacha, that is why I'm tired when it comes time to workout. Too much during the day!
    I have a 3 yr old and a 6 1/2 month old and a house to keep up as well so I know what you mean. I'm constantly on the move except for the few minutes I sit down here at the computer. I don't seem to have an issue with not having the energy or feeling tired by the time my hubby comes home but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I HAVE been on a regular exercise routine since the 6 wk post-partum point. In other words, once you make it a regular routine, and I know that's the toughest is getting started, I think you will find that you have more energy and won't be so tired when it comes time to workout. Either that or perhaps you need to be getting more sleep at night? I keep my kids on my sleep schedule so that we all sleep at the same time therefore I am able to get enough sleep. Oh, and heh, I do usually drink one or two cups of coffee during the day so I'm sure that helps as well.

Anyway, I totally understand where you're coming from, I'm in the same boat. Ya just gotta go do it and it'll get easier. Ya gotta find some ways to motivate yourself to do it. I just want it bad enough, my pre-pregnancy physique that is, so I somehow manage to find a way to get my training in and eat right. Plus there is a beach party coming up next month that hubby and I will be going to so that is a big motivator for me as well. Dig deep and find it within yourself to just go do it.

Just doin' my thing... BuffedWildCat's Avatar
    BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000) BuffedWildCat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mp.wife View Post
    ...sometimes I'm exhausted in the evenings, but I tell myself if I still feel too tired after ten minutes I'll stop.

I've never felt too tired after ten minutes.
    Awesome advice! Been there done that too, and same here, once I get going I get a second wind, I get energized!

Yeah, and having the hubby gone makes it REALLY tough to get training in, been there done that too, and will be doing that again soon. Gosh, I thought it was tough for me and I only have TWO kids!! Kudos to you!

I love that, ten minutes! I usually don't feel bad after starting to work out its getting downstairs..ha ha.

Thanks everyone! It's nice to know that it isn't that easy and that I really should have this time without feeling guilty!

Now to get a journal started, really look forward to being a part of this community!

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I usually work out in my garage in the mornings. I'm way too tired in the afternoons. I try to get up before everyone else. If my daughter gets up, she'll come out in the garage with me and keep me company. She brings her blanket and a dvd player and watches a video. Sometimes she tries to work out with me.

aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aragonmod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Try AM, get up 1hr before hubby leaves and do your thang. This is your time, you need to find the time.
    MS V

MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000)
    hereis some motivation....

kids learn by example. not what you say....

if they see you busting your butt, going after your ideal fitness dream...and being motivated and healthy..they will want to follow suit
    ~Proud Army Veteran, proud Army wife, Proud supporter of our military~

"Right now is not your fate, only your state."

"Drink water and drive on"

~Aim for the stars, you might catch a cloud. Aim only for the clouds, you will catch the top of a tree~

~~I love my husband, I love my daughter, I am blessed ever day to have them~~

njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a mother and wife. After a year of moving fouir times and issues with my back, I am ready to get back into the gym.

I just want to know how others find that motivation/time after a long day with the kids and a house to run. How do you get that energy at the end of the day?

I can't work out in the morning. I have my own gym but my husband is off to work in the mine for 5am and after that my children of 2 and 3 are up. At least in the evening my husband is home, but is often so tired. I tend to feel bad and skip out to keep my family happy.

Any tips to get over this hurdle?

Thank youi, Treener

Hi,
    I'm a mother of 3. A 17 year old daughter, 7 year old son and a soon to be 2 year son. I have to get up at 4:30am every morning to get up for work, I leave my house an hour after that then commute 1 1/2 hours to work. Work for 8-9 hours days then commute another 1 1/2 hours back home, pick up the baby from daycare, walk in the door by 5:00pm, get dinner ready and feed the kids. I get out the house between 6:00-6:30pm to make my drive to the gym. My 17 year old will watch the boys for me until my husband gets home which is about 30 mins after I leave. Before I joined the gym I said to myself "how the hell I'm I going to find time for the gym with this schedule?" I did that for months and kept putting off joining the gym. After my vacation to Cancun Mexico I looked at my pictures in MY BIKINI no less and said. OOOOOOOOOH HELL NO..I'm going back to the gym. LOL I found someone who was willing to met me at the gym when I was there to help me with training and MOST IMPORTANTLY motivation. I have lost 4 pounds since I joined Feb 28th I went from 129 to 125. I go about 3-4 times a week. I do some weight training, tons of ab work, and 1 mile on the treadmill everytime I go. My eating habits have changed drastically was well. Once I saw the results that was enough motivation to keep me going even after my long days of working and commuting.

You can do it. Once you get started and see those results..you will FIND the time, motivation abd energy to keep going. TRUST ME.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks! I started yesterday with the proper diet, supplements and a good arm workout.

It was nice to get back into it from the last 6 month hiatus. I do have to change my ipod music but besides that doing good. Now to get past that 3 week period and I should be laughing.

I think my biggest problem was feeling guilty. My husband works hard and comes home, I wanted him to have his time but after going away this weekend on a ladies hockey tournament, I know my hubby realized that I need to do this (I need my hour away from the kids) and he's helping out in any way.

That makes the motivation even easier!
    Last edited by treener; 04-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think when you're so busy, you have to schedule work out time the same way you schedule everything else you have to get done. I have a 6 yo and a 2.5 yo and work full time. I get to telecommute 2 days a week, but the other 2 I have to go to the office. The days I go to the office are my gym days. I make it a priority to go those days and I schedule everything else around it. I have also noticed that after several weeks of keeping that schedule, I actually have increased energy at 4pm even on the days I'm home. It's like my body knows that it would normally be gym time.

On saturday morning, I like to put on a 30 minute dvd in my room for the kids and let them watch it in my bed. I go to the living room and do a 30 minute workout dvd.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1st let me say I'm jelous, I wish I had a home gym.

You need to workout at the time of day that is best for you. If you are tired in the evening, then it'd not the right time to wo. Try to get the kids involved if you can. I struggle too, I have a 4 year and a 1 year old. I try to wo when the baby sleeps and I give my 4 year old 1lb DB and she tries to follow along.
    www.livewellbefitcoach.com
    www.********.com/livewellbefit

"If you believe, you can achieve." JLS

njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) njlatina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! I started yesterday with the proper diet, supplements and a good arm workout.

It was nice to get back into it from the last 6 month hiatus. I do have to change my ipod music but besides that doing good. Now to get past that 3 week period and I should be laughing.

I think my biggest problem was feeling guilty. My husband works hard and comes home, I wanted him to have his time but after going away this weekend on a ladies hockey tournament, I know my hubby realized that I need to do this (I need my hour away from the kids) and he's helping out in any way.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Those first few weeks WILL BE HARD. You may even think for a split second to give up. I know I did after 2 weeks. I felt like I was so dedicated to making the time out to go to the gym, eating right, taking my supplements with NO results that I said to myself "why am I doing this?" but I kept at it and eventually I started to see some slight results. I continue to go 3-4 times a week, starting tanning and I feel SO MUCH better about myself.

It also helps when you have a husband who helps out in any way and is supportive. My husband has been going to gym for years. He goes about 6 times a week. He never pushed me to go. He said it had to be something I WANTED to do on my own. Here I am now..going to the gym and he is extremely supportive of me and helpful with the kids when he gets home from work and I'm already at the gym.

KEEP IT UP!!

smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do the babies take naps?
    If so that is aperfect time to have a w/o even if it ends up as 2 15 or 20 min sessions in the day.... you can take the monitor if you have/need one to you gym and work out guilt free....
    Getting there slowly.... and slowlier

OK... so all my stats are rubbish at the moment...

DL - 220lbs.... finally... still aiming for 330....

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Kids need some quality time with their dad and vice versa. It's GOOD for both of them to get that.

Glad you've gotten the ball rolling!

Jentx30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you have a home gym then try to workout before the kids get up. I have two kids..one is three and the baby is just 10 months. I go the gym five days a week at 6am..and only because that is when it opens. If they gym opened at 5am, I would be there at 5am. I am the type of person that has to workout first thing or I won't do it because I'm wiped out by the end of the day. Getting up early to workout is hard but after a week or so you start waking up ready to get to your workout.
    Real women wear muscles

reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50) reboot42 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi trenner,
    My kids were older (youngest was 7) when I started-so I wasn't trying to keep an exercise routine with tots running around.

Though when mine were tots-they napped @ the same time, and I could get a ton of stuff done when they were sleeping. Do your kids nap?

As far as the evening time goes-mom needs time....My gym time is just that: It's my mom time. As far as being tired goes-I am loving the 10 minute idea!!

I will use a similiar internal "self talk" on days I am not motivated or tired (fortunately there aren't many-I love going to the gym)....I say to myself I'll just "show up", and even if I just do a shorter workout...at least I did it.

Well-usually once I get there and start moving.....I feel awesome and I do the whole workout.

A healthy mom who takes a little time for herself every day is a happy mom!
    You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your brow.

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    your husband sound great !! What a great example he is to your kids showing how precious you are to him by supporting you this way.

I love hearing about married people who can work stuff out.