Thread: *Yoga*

pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000)

*Yoga*

I've seen a couple of people hating on yoga...not many...but enough to make me want to start a discussion and get the practitioners to come out of the woodwork.

So do you do it, why or why not?

I do. Helps me sleep way better than any pill ever did. My posture is better, I have more energy, and it has all but eliminated the tendonitis in my elbow and shoulder. Also great for DOMS.

Those are just the physical benefits. I could prattle on for days about the others.

Aside from that, I think there's just something beautiful about the grace of a yogic body (so I dig the hippie chicks, sue me). I think as bodybuilders, that's something we can appreciate.

...and go...
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ...will probably be my last words

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136720821
    more misadventures in physical culture

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Its not a bad thing if you are looking for some mental stability and flexibility. However I do not do it. Not enough patience for it.

ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShanksForte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yoga has it's benefits, so does Tai Chi and Qi Gong (the latter of two I've been known to enjoy in my spare time). However, fat loss and muscle growth are not two of their benefits, therefore they don't quite fit into this forum.
    "The only reason that you're getting in shape is that so you can get through the workout." - Seinfeld

pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000) pFuzzz is just really nice. (+1000)
    It doesn't have anything to do with fat loss or building muscle, but is good for flexibility, injury rehab and prevention and minimizing soreness...which are of direct relevance to bodybuilding...I'm not trying to evangelize, just to get a discussion going.

Maybe re-framing the question in a manner more specific to bodybuilding: Do you do it and have you seen any benefits in fitness and your weightlifting/bodybuilding persuits?

Incidentally, I was just thumbing through Mens' Health & Chad Waterbury's "Huge in a Hurry." He's got one chapter of "limbering exercises" to be done as a warm-up and on non-lifting days. Most are described in conventional lifting and stretching terms, but a couple are referred to in yoga terms. The whole routine looks suspiciously like the qigong and yoga routine I go through every morning.
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ...will probably be my last words

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136720821
    more misadventures in physical culture

ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ramrod63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ShanksForte View Post
    Yoga has it's benefits, so does Tai Chi and Qi Gong (the latter of two I've been known to enjoy in my spare time). However, fat loss and muscle growth are not two of their benefits, therefore they don't quite fit into this forum.
    that depends how you look at it, its hard to burn fat and grow muscle if youre injured alot, most of my injuries are because my muscles are too tight
    no injuries = no long breaks = greater gains

gonna start yoga probably this summer

RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10) RickyBoxler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ShanksForte View Post

You're crazy, my heart monitor says I burn over 700+ calories an hour while doing bikram yoga, and the classes are for 1 1/2 hours.

I might not be a AWESOME thing to do for building muscle, but its definetly good to throw in there every once in a while to shock your body and use some muscles that you might not normally. Also I am very very inflexible and am hoping it will help me on that.

My friend who works out/runs lost 20 lbs in like 2 months doing bikram 3-4 times a week.
    5'11" 200 lbs(ish) 12%

Right Arm-16 3/4" Left-16 1/8"=(
    Right Forearm-13 1/4 Left-12 3/5
    Chest 43"
    Right Leg-24 1/4" Left -24"
    Right Calf-15 1/2" Left-15 1/2"

Bench Max as of July-335, probaly around 300 now, but going up

Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The time is now. Tear into this bag of Doritos Nacho Cheesier tortilla chips and get ready. IT'S now better tasting Nacho Cheesier flavor and crunch. So what are you waiting for? Stop reading the bag and...CHEESE THE DAY! R U in the Know?

wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10) wantfirmcurves is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Yoga Rox! :)

I practice Bikram yoga. Tried it once a couple of months ago, and I love it! I've tried other yoga practice in the past, but to be honest, they didn't take. Bikram is such a challenge at any level of fitness & tests your mental strength, focus and determination as well as the physical. It improves balance and flexibility, which, as previously mentioned, are key to injury prevention not only in weight lifting, but day to day tasks as well.

Yoga is tough, and certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea but anyone who thinks you don't make strength and health gains from doing it should try just one 90 minute session...then come talk about it.

Okay, I'll get off the soap box now...