Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Putting together a diet 101

I thought it might be valuable to create a thread for the throngs of people that ask for everyone else to put a diet together for them. I am not going to argue over semantics...for the sake of this thread lets all try to agree that ones diet will focus on 1 of 2 tasks...losing fat and maintaining muscle or building muscle. Lets also agree that the MINIMUM protein intake for someone weight training is 1gr per pound of lean body mass. Ok lets begin...

Step 1
    Decide if you want to gain weight or lose weight

Step 2
    Track everything you eat for a week. You can do this using many sites fitday.com, sparkpeople.com etc...and the end of the week weigh yourself.
    Did you gain or lose? Did you want to gain or lose? Adjust calories by 500 either way depending on goal.

Alternate step 2
    Find out how many calories per day you should consume. There are plenty of calculators on this site for example
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=114980801
    also you can find many on the internet...use Google...it works.
    Add or subtrack 500 cal based on goal.

Step 3
    Where do I spend my calories? Let's assume a 2000cal diet.

Protein
    Well we have already agreed that you need AT LEAST 1gr protein per pound of lean body weight. So if you weigh 180 pounds at 20%BF that's 144gr protein. (180*20%=36)(180-36=144) Again this is the minimum! Protein has 4 calories per gram so that 144*4=576cal per day on protein.

Fat
    I think most here will also agree you should get AT LEAST 20% of your daily calories from healthy fat. So assuming the same 2000 calorie diet thats 400cal of fat per day...AGAIN MINIMUM! Fats are 9 calories per gram.

Carbs
    Well here is where the flood gates open! CARBS! So far we have agreed that at minimum you should have AT LEAST the following on a 2k diet
    576cal of protein
    400cal of fat
    total
    976 calories...that leaves 1024 calories. Carbs are also 4 calories per gram.

Step 4 (optional)
    Decide macronutrient breakdown. Why is this optional? Because I am a firm believer that as long as you meet the MINIMUMS you can eat those other 1024 calories on whatever you want and reach your goal.

Now taking a line from Wave Length's cutting guide: these rules are for optimal body composition NOT optimal health.

Step 5 adjust calories accordingly
    Have you stopped losing or gaining? Adjust calories on weekly basis till desired rate of loss or gain continues.

What foods should I eat? Calorie density explained here!

Are you trying to lose weight?
    Then you want as much physical volume of food you can get in your stomach for the least possible calories.
    Example
    100 calories of Broccoli takes up WAAAYYY more space in your stomach than 100 calories of chocolate.
    Try to eat fiberous veggies, FRESH FRUIT, lean meats, and healthy fats.

Of course you can eat whatever you want...but remember you have a calorie budget!

Are you a hard gainer trying to gain?
    Then you need to eat food that packs a big punch of calories in a small package. Think nuts, dried fruit, pasta, bread, red meat, rice.

Please feel free to add to this guide!

NOW GO OUT THERE AND BUILD YOUR OWN DIET!

goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodfella0729 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    definetly a good start for someone just starting out. ill add once you have figured out what your calorie needs are, make a shopping list of foods you like and go shopping. if you arent sure how many cals or what the macros are of a certain food use sites like calorieking.com or thedailyplate.com. main things you will probably need to pick up are:

lean meat:
    chicken
    steak
    any fish
    pork
    turkey

veggies:
    any frozen veggies, just try and avoid the ones with a lot of sauces.

fruit:
    get what you like, fruits good and it wont make you fat like some people seem to think

snack foods:
    almonds
    yogurt
    anything you like just make sure it fits in your daily calories

heres a link with a lot more options:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stella9.htm

id also recommend making meals a few days to a week in advance and following your diet will be a lot easier espeicially for people short on time or for people that just want to get their diet down pat, this will help.

Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Minolwen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Step 2
    Track everything you eat for a week. You can do this using many sites fitday.com, sparkpeople.com etc...and the end of the week weigh yourself.
    Did you gain or lose? Did you want to gain or lose? Adjust calories by 500 either way depending on goal.
    Do you think that a single weigh-in at the end of the week is sufficient enough to base where or not you should adjust your diet on? Are you suggesting that the diet be adjusted after just one week?

I only ask because I know my weight fluctuates throughout the week, and although it usually follows a pattern it has taken time to learn that pattern and apply that knowledge to know where I really am.

Step 3
    Where do I spend my calories? Let's assume a 2000cal diet.
    Why does this matter? I feel that most people (especially those trying to lose weight) are stressed enough with their calorie counting and so forth to worry not only about where their calories are coming from but now where they are going...

-----

With that said... I have not been around long enough to tear apart your "dieting template", nor do I desire to do any such thing. These are just two things that stood out to me that could maybe use revision or simply and explanation. In any regards, efforts like these for the good of the community are always appreciated.

Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Minolwen View Post
    Do you think that a single weigh-in at the end of the week is sufficient enough to base where or not you should adjust your diet on? Are you suggesting that the diet be adjusted after just one week?

I only ask because I know my weight fluctuates throughout the week, and although it usually follows a pattern it has taken time to learn that pattern and apply that knowledge to know where I really am.

If you weigh yourself on Saturday number 1 and track ALL calories for the week on Saturday number 2 (weigh at same time)SOMETHING WILL happen. Either you will gain, lose or stay the same. Adjust calories accordingly.

Why does this matter? I feel that most people (especially those trying to lose weight) are stressed enough with their calorie counting and so forth to worry not only about where their calories are coming from but now where they are going...

If all you want to do is lose weight...then fine count calories and dont worry where they are coming from. But is you want to maintain muscle and lose fat then you must spend them on at least the minimums....

-----

With that said... I have not been around long enough to tear apart your "dieting template", nor do I desire to do any such thing. These are just two things that stood out to me that could maybe use revision or simply and explanation. In any regards, efforts like these for the good of the community are always appreciated.

Please see responses above.