Thread: ACE vs NASM

backn2it has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) backn2it has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ACE vs NASM

Here is my decision on what cert to get based on the following:

Based on what I've researched, I narrowed my choices between ACE, NASM, ACSM, NCSA.
    ACSM and NCSA workshops and test sites were not available close to home. (Which was surprising, I live in the Tampa, FL area.)

I was all set to go with NASM, until I found out that ACE has partnered with AARP to provide referrals for AARP to receive personal training with ACE certified trainers at reduced rates. I'd be getting around $36 an hour. I live in an area where the 50+ demographic is the majority. Once you are ACE certified, you need to take 2 additional courses in training for the older population, pay $49 and you are part of the AARP program. I also play to market myself with flyers, small ads, etc.

I also found out that as an AARP myself, (I'm 52), I can get 20% all study materials, exam fees, etc. if I get my ACE cert as an AARP member.

Here is the link to the AARP program: www.aarp fitness.com takes you to http://products.aarp.org/discounts/fitness/

I live in a fairly large development, with a fitness room: cardio machines, a couple of weight machines, some free weights, bench. The management has agreed to let me train people there for free. I hope to eventually set up my garage properly to train people there. I already have rubber floor, muti-purpose bench, free weights, eliptical machine.

So it seems to me that ACE would be the way to go. I am ready to get started, but really wanted to hear feedback from the members here before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance.

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by backn2it
    The management has agreed to let me train people there for free.
    That is the best way. Much better than working for someone else at a commercial gym.

CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If ACE is going to be the most convenient for you then by all means go for it. It's been said too many times to count: the certification doesn't make the trainer. It's your own knowledge and dedication that will make you a good trainer. You chose very good organizations to get certified through, and ACE is a very good one as well. I was studying for the ACE exam before I decided to get ACSM certified (I noticed that the ACE books often quoted ACSM). I say go for it. It's a solid certification and it seems like it will provide you with a good way to get started. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'd be happy to help you out.

backn2it has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) backn2it has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks CSmit...