Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500)

Need advice fighting someone (street, but some rules and 4oz gloves) (Serious)

Ill cut to the chase. I got into an argument about how BJJ counters wrestling because even if the wrestler end up on top he is still in serious trouble. The guy who is sort of a friend says in grappling yes but when you can "drop bombs" from ontop its a whole new world. Guy was a mid level HS wrestler for 4 years and now he thinks he is Matt Hughes (also a BJJ BB).

Anyways in a not so friendly challenge we agreed that this Friday we are going to put this theory to the test. He has 4 yrs wrestling and some basic boxing.

I have 5 months BJJ.

You can see my stats in BS, this guy is a big time meat head hes is about 5'10'' 225 and into PL now.

What are your strategies or advice?

Rules are no elbows on the ground, no knees or kicking to the head. 1 5 min Rd or until someone quits.

Going to be surrounded by friends, fighting on grass. We are irritated but this isnt to kill anyone just a friendly challenge.
    Last edited by wannabepl47; 04-05-2009 at 07:11 AM.

VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wannabepl47 View Post
    Ill cut to the chase. I got into an argument about how BJJ counters wrestling because even if the wrestler end up on top he is still in serious trouble. The guy who is sort of a friend says in grappling yes but when you can "drop bombs" from ontop its a whole new world. Guy was a mid level HS wrestler for 4 years and now he thinks he is Matt Hughes (also a BJJ BB).

Anyways in a not so friendly challenge we agreed that this Friday we are going to put this theory to the test. He has 4 yrs wrestling and some basic boxing.

I have 5 months BJJ.

You can see my stats in BS, this guy is a big time meat head hes is about 5'10'' 225 and into PL now.

What are your strategies or advice?

Rules are no elbows on the ground, no knees or kicking to the head. 1 5 min Rd or until someone quits.

Going to be surrounded by friends, fighting on grass. We are irritated but this isnt to kill anyone just a friendly challenge.
    on the street wrestling > BJJ and he did that for 4 years where u son, have done it for 5 months,

YOU GONNA GET RAPED.

CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000) CutLoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    your friend is right. BJJ is a new game when punches are being thrown. go for the oil check to finish.
    True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mister-Lean is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've had a bunch of these mma street fights but they've almost always stayed on the feet.

I'd have to agree with what the other guy said about wrestling conquering BJJ in a street fight though not by much and you probably still have a good chance.

5 months isn't very long though and you'll probably be on you back for most of the fight.

Look for the guillotine when he shoots in.

newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newparadigm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like you have got yourself into a little trouble, I doubt your 5 months of training is going to do much unless he gifts you an easy sumission.

My advice, knock him out on the feet.

BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG_1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well just be thakfull its not a street fight, because bjj never works in street fights.

lol 4year of wrestling V 5months of bjj.

Learn how to freelance online @ www.workthai.afarangabroad.com

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with the above, you got yourself into some ****. Your 5 months of BJJ compared to his years of wrestling coupled with some boxing, his size difference and strength advantage? My advice is to postpone it for a couple years. Please take a vid and post it up.

Registered User HotDamnItsDavid's Avatar
    HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HotDamnItsDavid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It doesn't look to good for you.

hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hullcity is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    look for an early choke or armbar, keep it simple and try to end it quick or you might just get thrown around.

VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50) VenomER will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ummm i forgot........

INB4 OP GETS HIS HEAD KICKED IN.

injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) injured44 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    so
    hes bigger
    he lifts weights and is stronger
    he has 4 years wrestling
    you only have 5 months of BJJ

this aint the karate kid brah he probably gonna fuk you up

manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Unless you've got one hell of a sprawl and can sink a choke in, you gonna get raped son.

TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000) TheAnimal_013 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by injured44 View Post
    so
    hes bigger
    he lifts weights and is stronger
    he has 4 years wrestling
    you only have 5 months of BJJ

this aint the karate kid brah he probably gonna fuk you up
    This

bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500) bigjosh37 is not very helpful. (-500)
    My advice, dont let him put you on the ground, otherwise you are gonna wish you hadn't done this. Stick with straight punches and hope you ring his bell.

forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you should try the clinch with him....

jk

Like it was said above, look for the guillotine when he shoots, if that doesn't work try to pull butterfly guard and roll him when he tries to posture up and land a shot.
    The best Weightlifting forum on the web:
    www.WLForums.com

Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    His 4 years of wrestling is going to kill you. Ive only wrestled 3 years and I placed 15th at a NATIONAL tournament, so Im pretty sure he can take shots in on you with out you even seeing it coming. So watch his hips, he will probably fake a lot of shots trying to make you flinch or sprawl out on the ground if you watch his hips you can tell when its a real one or a fake one, dont let him do that and make a fool of you. Also get a collar tie and shake his head around, confuse him. You HAVE to be aggressive and scare him seeing as he has the advantage. And whatever you do, do it relentlessly never give up mid-shot and if you dont get a shot the first time back out a little reset and come in for it again.

wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500) wannabepl47 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I need advice not "you gonna get raped!".

I have a huge cardio advantage for sure because he been out of wrestling for over a year and is just into PLing now and bulking up with no cardio I dont think.

The other problem is I have never been hit before other than just fooling around and a couple light spars with headgear and boxing gloves. Taken a couple classes of MT not really worth mentioning. This guy has been in quite a few dust ups and hits like a mule from what Ive seen, just has natural power in his hands.

Im more of a top game BJJ guy my strength is in positioning and passing guard, I just bully and use my decent takedowns and strength to overpower people and get on top. In 5 months Ive never got a sub from my guard. (my legs are short and stocky and my guard sucks). If I can get ontop or sweep him Im sure I could win.

Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Krankenstein2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Oh yeah and if he weighs that much hes probably good at throws, when he throws you make your body go limp and he will fall on his ass.

xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dude to say BJJ counter wrestling is not a good way of putting it. BJJ gives the upper ahnd in some situations that wrestlers may not be use dtoo, but it doesnt counter it. I have been training BJJ for 2 yrs, and wrestled only a year, I wish I had done all four years in high school, because my BJJ would be ten times better. Go to any NAGA or grapplers quest event, the wrestlers are made to start in intermediate regardless of how long the have been grappling why? wrestlign teaches control of the body and hips. If this kid is a good wrestler and bigger then you, chances are if you get on the ground and he is in side control on you, even if he isnt technically holding the positionl, he will be able to control you.
    If at first you succeed, try something harder.

Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Martin18 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can't believe this hasn't already been said

HAVE ONE OF FRIENDS VIDEO IT AND POST ON MISC AND YOU'LL GET OUT OF RED

p.s

I hope you win brah!! don't listen to the negative nancys, just go out there and give it everything you got.

xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xyimmyx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you know you might be able to get away with just circling him and jabbing a few times like in the later rounds of a boxing match and wait for the 5 min to be up.

Originally Posted by Krankenstein2 View Post
    Oh yeah and if he weighs that much hes probably good at throws, when he throws you make your body go limp and he will fall on his ass.
    This is the worst ****ing advice ever, someone plz neg this ****er into the red. Advice like this could have gotten my neck broken.

King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    LOL at people with 5 months of practice in anything thinking they're good.

After this fight you should try out for TUF.

If your guard sucks, and he's a wrestler, then you are in trouble. Highest percentage move I hit on wrestlers is a triangle choke.

Originally Posted by wannabepl47 View Post
    This is the worst ****ing advice ever, someone plz neg this ****er into the red. Advice like this could have gotten my neck broken.
    Dude calm the **** down I know what Im talking about, wrestlers in the heavier weights like to throw! The only way to stop him from throwing you on your back with ALL his weigh landing on you is to go limp so he will fall straight back.

OP have you ever competed in a tournament? or is all of your BJJ experience just rolling at practice?

Location: Forum, Bodybuilders, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10) the_mvp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can have an intelligent conversation about things like MMA without gettin into a street fight over it. The fact you cant shows how immature you are. The fact you think you can beat someone with 4yrs experience with 5months experience is very silly.

A novice BJJ'er WILL not sweep an experienced wrestler. You will also not get a good wrestler on his back.

Defo take a vid & post it up, in future though have a sensible conversation & avoid "street fights".
    VaianT ends with a T

Dude calm the **** down I know what Im talking about, wrestlers in the heavier weights like to throw! The only way to stop him from throwing you on your back with ALL his weigh landing on you is to go limp so he will fall straight back.
    lol lmao rofl what?

going limp is a action you will want to do when he is already throwing u, so that when u fall ur muscles are relaxed and u dont get injured - to see what i mean go see kevin randleman's suplex on Fedor.

if he is going for a throw/suplex and u go limp before that he aint gonna fall back if hes as big and strong as OP says and will still throw ur ass like a rag doll ...

and yes, ive trained greko-roman wrestling..

Originally Posted by VenomER View Post
    lol lmao rofl what?

going limp is a action you will want to do when he is already throwing u, so that when u fall ur muscles are relaxed and u dont get injured - to see what i mean go see kevin randleman's suplex on Fedor.

if he is going for a throw/suplex and u go limp before that he aint gonna fall back if hes as big and strong as OP says and will still throw ur ass like a rag doll ...

and yes, ive trained greko-roman wrestling..
    ... Ive wrestled in folk-style wrestling, wrestled in the 171 weight class, only weighed 152, someone tried throwing me i let my body go limp, he fell back and I pinned him. He was 20 pounds heavier and a lot stronger than me so it doesnt matter how strong he is, unless hes like the hulk going limp WILL stop the throw.

... Ive wrestled in folk-style wrestling, wrestled in the 171 weight class, only weighed 152, someone tried throwing me i let my body go limp, he fell back and I pinned him. He was 20 pounds heavier and a lot stronger than me so it doesnt matter how strong he is, unless hes like the hulk going limp WILL stop the throw.
    its really important to pin point the moment u go limp , and the guy who ur talking about probably tripped/slipped, last time i wrestled the guy went limp but he was already off the ground, so i just changed direction and got him pretty bad.....so anyway OP messed with the wrong guy...never mess with a wrestler if u dont have something more than 5 months BJJ under ur belt ..lol

King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're 17. Missouri isn't known for great wrestling. He probably sucked at throws.