jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Working out while using Simvastatin

My cholesterol level has been high for several years and my doctor put me on Simvastatin last week. I know one of the side effects of this drug can be muscle damage. I have had sore muscles the last few days and I'm sure it is not due to over working out. Has anyone had any experience with Simvastatin while working out? Can it make it more difficult to achieve my results with lifting weights?

thanks

jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaguar007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My power is over 9000 RachelBringIt's Avatar
    RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000)
    One thing your doctor should of told you is while on a Statin you should also be supplementing with CQ-10. This will lessen your side effects. Also a lot of people on Statins develop heart issues, taking cq10 decreases your chances of having these problems by 25%. Those drugs are bad news, try to get healthy and off of those.
    [Stickam Crǝw]

"A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing." - Albert Camus

Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RachelBringIt View Post
    One thing your doctor should of told you is while on a Statin you should also be supplementing with CQ-10. This will lessen your side effects.
    There is not good data on this.

Also a lot of people on Statins develop heart issues,
    lolwut?

taking cq10 decreases your chances of having these problems by 25%.
    Where are you getting that figure from.

Those drugs are bad news, try to get healthy and off of those.
    Do you know anything about statins?
    No sir, I don't like it.

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post

lolwut?

One thing your doctor should of told you is while on a Statin you should also be supplementing with CQ-10. This will lessen your side effects. Also a lot of people on Statins develop heart issues, taking cq10 decreases your chances of having these problems by 25%. Those drugs are bad news, try to get healthy and off of those.

Thanks, I will look into CQ-10. I knew nothing about them when the doctor prescribed them to me but have been researching them today. Unfortunately high cholesterol runs in my family. If muscle weakness/soreness continues, I may look into another option.

RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000) RachelBringIt is just really nice. (+1000)

lolwut?

Actually yes, I do know what Im talking about. I got this information from what I remembered learning in my college classes. They have stuck with me prevalently because i had family members on statins. I told them to speak with their doctors about CQ-10 and there are studies to back this up. They are in medical journals, i guess if you had access you could look them up on JSTOR. Im currently studying for a J.D./M.A. in health law and endocrinology. This isn't broscience
    [Stickam Crǝw]

"A taste for truth at any cost is a passion which spares nothing." - Albert Camus

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

so you support using those drugs instead of trying natural remedies first?

imo statins is one of the biggest scams to hit the market in years

Actually yes, I do know what Im talking about. I got this information from what I remembered learning in my college classes. They have stuck with me prevalently because i had family members on statins. I told them to speak with their doctors about CQ-10 and there are studies to back this up. They are in medical journals, i guess if you had access you could look them up on JSTOR. Im currently studying for a J.D./M.A. in health law and endocrinology. This isn't broscience
    Stay in school- you have a lot to learn about heart disease and pharmacology.

I don't have a JD or MA, but I do know that some of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. Perhaps your memory of college isn't as rock solid as you think?
    No sir, I don't like it.

Stay in school- you have a lot to learn about heart disease and pharmacology.

I don't have a JD or MA, but I do know that some of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. Perhaps your memory of college isn't as rock solid as you think?
    What doesn't make sense? Statins are not ideal for a person to be on long term, they have been known to have side effects as the OP said, for example: Muscle loss. Studies have been done that when CQ-10 was added as a supplement, these side effects were diminished to a degree. I think diet/exercise are better alternatives to statins unless its a genetically inherited issue, and even then, i would likely be looking into more natural ways to keep cholesterol in check.

here is a little research done by a well distinguished doctor, it will explain everything your having trouble understanding:

Peter H. Langsjoen, M.D., F.A.C.C., Cardiovascular Diseases. Research in Biomedical Aspects of Coenzyme Q10. Tel (903) 595-3778, Fax (903) 595-4962 1107 Doctors Dr., Tyler, Texas 75701,USA.

The depletion of the essential nutrient coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) by the increasingly popular cholesterol lowering drugs, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) has grown from a level of concern to one of alarm. With ever higher statin potencies and dosages, and with a steadily shrinking target LDL cholesterol, the prevalence and severity of CoQ10 deficiency is increasing noticeably to the physicians in the trenches of front line patient care. An estimated 36 million Americans are now candidates for statin drug therapy.

CoQ10 serves as the coenzyme for mitochondrial enzyme complexes I, II and III and is essential for mitochondrial ATP production. CoQ10 is also a clinically relevant fat-soluble antioxidant and is the only fat soluble antioxidant that is known to be synthesized de novo. It is found normally in the diet, predominantly in organ meats and is biosynthesized in all cells with peak capabilities in late teens and early twenties with a gradual age-related decline in blood and tissue CoQ10 levels after the age of 30 years.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been documented in 15 animal studies in six different animal species and has been shown to correlate with decreased ATP production, increased ischemia reperfusion injury, skeletal muscle injury and increased mortality.

There are 15 published trials on statin-induced CoQ10 depletion in humans. Of these 15 trials, nine were controlled trials, eight of which documented significant CoQ10 depletion. Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been shown to be associated with a fall in left ventricular function, an elevation of lactate to pyruvate ratio and an enhancement of LDL cholesterol oxidation. The current data on diastolic dysfunction further confirms the clinical importance of this drug-nutrient interaction.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion is well documented in animal and human studies with detrimental cardiac consequences in both animal models and human trials. Furthermore, this drug-induced nutrient deficiency is dose-related and more notable in settings of pre-existing CoQ10 deficiency such as in the elderly and in heart failure. Finally, statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency is completely preventable with supplemental CoQ10 with no adverse impact on the cholesterol lowering or anti-inflammatory properties of the statin drugs.

We are currently in the midst of a congestive heart failure epidemic in the United States, the cause or causes of which are unclear. As physicians, it is our duty to be absolutely certain that we are not inadvertently doing harm to our patients by creating a wide-spread deficiency of a nutrient critically important for normal heart function.
    Last edited by RachelBringIt; 01-20-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    [Stickam Crǝw]

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Besides that, there isnt even a direct proof linking cholesterol levels to heart and cardiovascular ailments.

Doctors are way too ready to prescribe this stuff, but in reality, patients are suffering side effects for very questionable gains. This is my view on it.

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What doesn't make sense? Statins are not ideal for a person to be on long term, they have been known to have side effects as the OP said, for example: Muscle loss. Studies have been done that when CQ-10 was added as a supplement, these side effects were diminished to a degree. I think diet/exercise are better alternatives to statins unless its a genetically inherited issue, and even then, i would likely be looking into more natural ways to keep cholesterol in check.

here is a little research done by a well distinguished doctor, it will explain everything your having trouble understanding:

Peter H. Langsjoen, M.D., F.A.C.C., Cardiovascular Diseases. Research in Biomedical Aspects of Coenzyme Q10. Tel (903) 595-3778, Fax (903) 595-4962 1107 Doctors Dr., Tyler, Texas 75701,USA.

The depletion of the essential nutrient coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) by the increasingly popular cholesterol lowering drugs, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) has grown from a level of concern to one of alarm. With ever higher statin potencies and dosages, and with a steadily shrinking target LDL cholesterol, the prevalence and severity of CoQ10 deficiency is increasing noticeably to the physicians in the trenches of front line patient care. An estimated 36 million Americans are now candidates for statin drug therapy.

CoQ10 serves as the coenzyme for mitochondrial enzyme complexes I, II and III and is essential for mitochondrial ATP production. CoQ10 is also a clinically relevant fat-soluble antioxidant and is the only fat soluble antioxidant that is known to be synthesized de novo. It is found normally in the diet, predominantly in organ meats and is biosynthesized in all cells with peak capabilities in late teens and early twenties with a gradual age-related decline in blood and tissue CoQ10 levels after the age of 30 years.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been documented in 15 animal studies in six different animal species and has been shown to correlate with decreased ATP production, increased ischemia reperfusion injury, skeletal muscle injury and increased mortality.

There are 15 published trials on statin-induced CoQ10 depletion in humans. Of these 15 trials, nine were controlled trials, eight of which documented significant CoQ10 depletion. Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion has been shown to be associated with a fall in left ventricular function, an elevation of lactate to pyruvate ratio and an enhancement of LDL cholesterol oxidation. The current data on diastolic dysfunction further confirms the clinical importance of this drug-nutrient interaction.

Statin-induced CoQ10 depletion is well documented in animal and human studies with detrimental cardiac consequences in both animal models and human trials. Furthermore, this drug-induced nutrient deficiency is dose-related and more notable in settings of pre-existing CoQ10 deficiency such as in the elderly and in heart failure. Finally, statin-induced CoQ10 deficiency is completely preventable with supplemental CoQ10 with no adverse impact on the cholesterol lowering or anti-inflammatory properties of the statin drugs.

We are currently in the midst of a congestive heart failure epidemic in the United States, the cause or causes of which are unclear. As physicians, it is our duty to be absolutely certain that we are not inadvertently doing harm to our patients by creating a wide-spread deficiency of a nutrient critically important for normal heart function.

What doesn't make sense?
    "a lot of people on statins develop heart disease"

You said that. Do I really need to point out to a well-educated person such as yourself why that is a ridiculous statement?

Statins are not ideal for a person to be on long term, they have been known to have side effects as the OP said, for example: Muscle loss.
    Really? Muscle loss? Did you see my link above. Have you really done any reading on statins and myalgia/myopathy/rhabdomysositis? I have done a lot.

Studies have been done that when CQ-10 was added as a supplement, these side effects were diminished to a degree.
    Make with the studies already.

I think diet/exercise are better alternatives to statins unless its a genetically inherited issue, and even then, i would likely be looking into more natural ways to keep cholesterol in check.
    Of course lifestyle modification is first line for some hypercholesterolemic patients. But not all. And statins' benefit is not solely from its cholesterol lowering effect.

LOL at your attempt at insult, and then posting an animal study.

Get real, kid.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Really? Muscle loss? Did you see my link above. Have you really done any reading on statins and myalgia/myopathy/rhabdomysositis? I have done a lot.
    yes I saw it, i dont have an account with webmd

Make with the studies already.
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...+COQ10&spell=1

Of course lifestyle modification is first line for some hypercholesterolemic patients. But not all. And statins' benefit is not solely from its cholesterol lowering effect.

Doctors are quick to prescribe and send the patient out the door without describing natural alternatives and modifications to diet/exercise. Yes statins do hold some other benefits but all im saying is it is better to replace the CQ10 that is diminished with statin use if you HAVE to be on it for medical reasons.

LOL at your attempt at insult, and then posting an animal study.

Get real, kid.
    from my other post:

"There are 15 published trials on statin-induced CoQ10 depletion in humans. Of these 15 trials, nine were controlled trials, eight of which documented significant CoQ10 depletion. "

u mad?
    Last edited by RachelBringIt; 01-20-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    [Stickam Crǝw]

yes I saw it, i dont have an account with webmd
    Laziness is a poor excuse for ignorance.

Once again, your laziness hurts your case. You just posted a page with a bunch of links to studies that contradict your claims. Try reading some next time.

Doctors are quick to prescribe and send the patient out the door without describing natural alternatives and modifications to diet/exercise.
    While this is a total non nequitur, I do agree with it.

Yes statins do hold some other benefits but all im saying is it is better to replace the CQ10 that is diminished with statin use if you HAVE to be on it for medical reasons.
    And you are basing this opinion of yours on...? The most current data? I don't think so.

from my other post:

"There are 15 published trials on statin-induced CoQ10 depletion in humans. Of these 15 trials, nine were controlled trials, eight of which documented significant CoQ10 depletion. "
    You still aren't getting it. There is a big gap between what that review states and what you are claiming. People are looking at the relation between statin therapy, Q10 depletion, its role in myopathy and other side effects, and the role of supplementation in reducing/preventing these effects. That you pretend to know all about this is more frustrating than amusing.

Here are couple reviews to get you started:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

u mad?
    At people talking high and mighty about things that they know little about?

You bet.
    No sir, I don't like it.

You still aren't getting it. There is a big gap between what that review states and what you are claiming. People are looking at the relation between statin therapy, Q10 depletion, its role in myopathy and other side effects, and the role of supplementation in reducing/preventing these effects.
    Isn't that what i was recommending to the OP in the first place?
    Last edited by RachelBringIt; 01-20-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    [Stickam Crǝw]

Isn't that what i was recommending to the OP in the first place?
    Whut?

Yes I agree im lazy because i dont feel like I need to prove myself to people like you on the interwebz
    OK, you're folding. Smart move.

Seriously, read and learn.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Whut?

OK, you're folding. Smart move.

Seriously, read and learn.
    Obviously you need a hobby. I said what I meant, i backed it with scientific evidence, and the scholarly articles actually did back what i was talking about (CoQ10 depletion). You just have your head so far up your backside you can't accept that you just might be wrong. Anyway, im off to bed. I know you will respond to this, your one of those people that HAS to have the last word.

so go ahead....
    [Stickam Crǝw]

Obviously you need a hobby. I said what I meant, i backed it with scientific evidence, and the scholarly articles actually did back what i was talking about (CoQ10 depletion). You just have your head so far up your backside you can't accept that you just might be wrong. Anyway, im off to bed. I know you will respond to this, your one of those people that HAS to have the last word.

so go ahead....
    My response isn't for my benefit, and it's no longer for your benefit (you don't seek to learn anything). I just want to make sure the board doesn't fall for your gibberish, because you do present it with amazing [and thus disturbing] confidence.

And just to remind you, if you wish to continue this dialog (if you can call it that), here is what you said:

you should also be supplementing with CQ-10. This will lessen your side effects. Also a lot of people on Statins develop heart issues, taking cq10 decreases your chances of having these problems by 25%
    If you want to address these claims, then I'm all ears. Maybe I missed something in the literature.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; 01-20-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    No sir, I don't like it.

My response isn't for my benefit, and it's no longer for your benefit (you don't seek to learn anything). I just want to make sure the board doesn't fall for your gibberish, because you do present it with amazing [and thus disturbing] confidence.
    Called it
    [Stickam Crǝw]

Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Imran5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Statins can somewhat DAMAGE

I' am a PHARMACY TECHNICIAN. I have been studying DRUGS for 6 yrs. I know for sure that STATINS, and other PRESCRIPTION DRUGS hurt your LIVER. Does that have anything to do with MUSCLE SORENESS, or DAMAGE. IMO I don't think so! Perhaps if you look into it, then you can say that something that hurts your LIVER, so your LIVER is not operating properly, so down the line it could lead to MUSCLE SORENESS, or DAMAGE. I don't know I' am not a DOCTOR, but I' am just Thinking out LOUD. I know I read somewhere I can't remember where, that if your LIVER does not detoxify your body properly, your body can generate some FREE RADICALS, or a BY PRODUCT, which is also responsible for MUSCLE SORENESS, and DAMAGE.

Good Luck
    Imran

terrythefirst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simvastatin

I think that you should research what it is that Simvastatin depletes within the body, and then decide what nutrients you need to consume to correct the new deficiency. I think all things can be fixed with nutrition. I truly do, and I think that Simvastatin is a good drug to use in the short term, that way you are safe for sure. Also, while on any medication be sure to ingest living pro biotics, any drug will destroy your healthy flora, and if you do not repopulate the intestine, a yeast infection will come after. I had it happen to me, I know. It happens very quickly too, so be sure to be supplementing with probiotics while on this medication!

Ted http://www.simvastatin.co.uk/
    Last edited by terrythefirst; 04-04-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake