.deathnet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running 2.4k in 9minutes.

Well basically I'm applying for the navy soon and the actual job I'm after is Clearance Diver. These guys are very fit because of the physical demand the job requires.

I need to do 2.4k in 9mins, 50 push ups, 120sit ups, 18 chin ups and a 500m swim with fins on.

The push ups, sit ups and chin ups don't really bother me at all.. I think I'm fairly comfortable with that. It's mainly the run and the swim that's worrying me. I was just after the best training method to get 2.4k in 9mins.

I've got a brand new treadmill that can run up to 16km/h with hill incline. I've been running at 10km/h for 15minutes each day but I really want to smash the 2.4k in 9mins so I'm ahead of the class so to speak.

I know world records are like 4mins and my cousin was doing 2.4k in about 6mins 30, so I'd probably be aiming for around 6mins 30 as well. I've got about 5-6 months to train for this so I'm confident that 2.4k in 6mins 30 is possible if I run every day which at my age (17) shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you,

Jay.

wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    6min 30sec is lightning fast over 2.4km. For u to achieve that, u would have to run at just over 22kms/hr on average....that's pretty damn fast!! Now I'm by no means an expert on any sort of training, but I'm pretty sure u'd want to be running at around 18-25kms/hr in ur training, to get used to the intensity. Thus ur treadmill wouldn't be of great use. Also, treadmills change ur gait slightly, although I'm not sure about the specifics on that. Sure, u could run ur treadmill at 16km/hr at an incline to increase the intensity, but I wouldn't advise that unless there are hills in this test too...? That would be completely INSANE if there were.

Originally Posted by wizard_of_aus View Post
    6min 30sec is lightning fast over 2.4km. For u to achieve that, u would have to run at just over 22kms/hr on average....that's pretty damn fast!! Now I'm by no means an expert on any sort of training, but I'm pretty sure u'd want to be running at around 18-25kms/hr in ur training, to get used to the intensity. Thus ur treadmill wouldn't be of great use. Also, treadmills change ur gait slightly, although I'm not sure about the specifics on that. Sure, u could run ur treadmill at 16km/hr at an incline to increase the intensity, but I wouldn't advise that unless there are hills in this test too...? That would be completely INSANE if there were.
    Yeah well he had been running for years, don't think he'd do it these days though due to work.

So you think the best way is to raise my intensity during training so when I do the actual test I find it easier and can step it up a notch to get a better time?

I think that's a good idea but just a question with why I shouldn't put it at 16km/h and raise the incline? Since I cant run it at 18-25km/h then raising the incline should give me that extra intensity I miss out on running at 16km/h?

Also, what do you mean by treadmill change your gait slightly?

wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wizard_of_aus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by .deathnet View Post
    Yeah well he had been running for years, don't think he'd do it these days though due to work.

So you think the best way is to raise my intensity during training so when I do the actual test I find it easier and can step it up a notch to get a better time?

I think that's a good idea but just a question with why I shouldn't put it at 16km/h and raise the incline? Since I cant run it at 18-25km/h then raising the incline should give me that extra intensity I miss out on running at 16km/h?

Also, what do you mean by treadmill change your gait slightly?
    I just figure that if I'm training specifically for a certain race/event I want to replicate race conditions as closely as I can in my training. Ie. If the 2.4km test is over a completely flat course, what's the point in hill running in training (or in ur case, using the incline on the treadmill). Also, if ur goal is to run 6.30 then u have to run at an average of 22km/hr, hence, u have to train at around that speed. Not much point in training @ 16km/hr when u need to run significantly faster than that to reach ur goal.

What I mean by treadmills changing ur gait, is that, u run slightly different on a treadmill compared to on the ground.

ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShotPutz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Little things, like consciously lengthening your stride, stepping up the pace, running in sync with swinging your arms will help. Near the end you will be winded and probably in pain, at that point it will just be working to push yourself past your comfort zone.
    Current 226lbs.
    Bench 335
    Squat 455
    Dead 475 straight bar

Goal by 7/15
    @205

Just had a quick run then to get a taste of what it's like running at 16km/h. I ran for about 2-3minutes and was really feeling it. That extra 6km/h really makes a difference because I usually run for 15mins and I'm not all that buggered but this time I felt it soon as I put it to 16km/h.

I think for now I'll just run 9minutes at 13 or 14km/h until I get use to that intensity. So maybe I should run that for 2-3 weeks and after that bump it up to 16km/h and see how I go then?

I'm only 17 and I eat healthy and normally when it comes to sport , working out etc my body adapts fairly quickly so hopefully 2-3 weeks will be enough. I'm not exactly on a time limit though, I mean I've got 6months roughly so yeah.. so do you think 2-3 weeks is good or should i do longer or shorter or...?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit - Well I just put the treadmill at 13km/h and I couldn't make 5minutes.. and I'm not one to feel a bit of pain and walk away.. I was really feeling it.. like when I got off I was light headed and weizy. I don't understand.. I can do 15-20mins at 10km/h but even at only 13km/h I can't make 5minutes?

Anyone know the best solution to take now? I mean running at 13km/h for less then 5minutes probably isn't really going to benefit me? How should I train now to improve? but still keep a high intensity so I can make a good time for 2.4k?

Thanks.
    Last edited by .deathnet; 04-01-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ShotPutz View Post
    Little things, like consciously lengthening your stride, stepping up the pace, running in sync with swinging your arms will help. Near the end you will be winded and probably in pain, at that point it will just be working to push yourself past your comfort zone.
    the more running you do, the more you stride will naturally go into its most effective position

a "longer" stride is not always best per se, there is a most efficient stride length that your body will determine by doing more and more running

as for me, im 6'3 yet i used to have a similar stride as a people on my team that were 5'10 or 5'11
    MSU Spartans!

Progress video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5tlCObP0g

Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do not train for a race on a treadmill. its good as a cardio equipment, and nothing more. running on treadmills doesnt necessarily equate to actually running.
    MSU Spartans!

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, agreed with Diskd. You'll also have problems pacing and burning out because you won't have the treadmill to do it for you - running outside is also a much better training stimulus.

How come nobody good trains for 5k's on treadmills? Because it doesn't work.

How far away is the test? Why can't you ask your cousin for help? What kind of mileage/training have you been doing? I can say this - you don't get to running a certain pace over a longer distance by running that pace until you can hold it. It's like attempting to bench 350 over and over again when your max is 250, you're not doing anything for yourself.

Take off the training wheels and start running mileage outside.

6 min mile pace isnt exactly "flying" btw (1.5 miles in 9 mins)

training should be about building to a point where you can actually sustain a decent speed, this is done by running 4-5 days/week in this case, prob shooting for 30-35 miles/week. do not increase mileage more than 10 miles/week or you asking for injury. have a good and proper fitting pair of running shoes.

to build a solid base from someone who hasnt had prior competitive long distance running training might take you 4 weeks or so.

if youre intending on doing speed work ONCE you have built a solid running base then theres a lot of sample workouts out there for you...
    i always like 400m repeats, in your case you want to do maybe 8 or so ONCE youre ready for this type of training
    for these repeats aim for 1:25-1:30(1:30 is your pace for your race) for each one, with 2-3 mins rest inbetween.

theres tons of speedwork to go out there and try once youre ready, but atm i think you need to focus on building up to that point first
    MSU Spartans!

deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP you want to make sure your running form is dead on. You're bound to burn out or injure yourself if you're running that quickly often with bad form. Build up to it, do fartleks or sprints along with slow runs for "maintenance".
    ☆☆☆Ron Paul 2012 Support Crew☆☆☆

~Barefooters Crew~|~Atheist Alliance~| ~Yellow Fever Crew~

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the replies. I don't understand how a treadmill pastes the distance for you, if anything I'd say it's the other way around. When I'm on the treadmill and I run lets say for 15minutes at 10km/h, then I'm running at exactly 10km/h the whole entire 15minutes because otherwise I'd fall off.

That's consistent training in my eyes.. I mean outside your body gets tired and tends to slack off.. and you slow down.. but when I'm on the treadmill I'm forced into running at the same speed, which is why I like it.

Also.. you can't compare this to a running race.. I'm not entering an event where it's 2.4km and first one to the end wins. They're just asking me to run 2.4k in under 9minutes 15 seconds.

I think from here on in I'll run Monday - Friday for 15minutes at 10km/h. I'll do this for one week and then I'll up it to 20 minutes and so on, until I reach 30minutes at 10km/h (3 weeks). After those 3 weeks I'll increase the speed to 13km/h and put the time back to 15minutes, and do the same process, until eventually I can run for 15minutes at 16km/h (4km in 15minutes).

15 minutes at 16km/h is more then what I have to do.. so when it comes to the actual test my body will be use to a higher intensity.

I think that's a good way to go about it, does anyone disagree and if so the reasons please. I mean.. you guys are saying to run outside but where I live the roads are very bad.. I live in a country town and I'll literally cause my ankles and knee's injury from running on them.

There are also no close parks around my house, nearest would be 30minutes which is in town. So for me.. the treadmill is the better option. I also think if I do the above fitness plan then my body should be more then able to run 2.4k under 9minutes 15 seconds by the end of it.

well GL because your training is pretty much predetermined from your response

just so you know: lifting up your leg and moving it at a speed which a treadmill designates is not equal to actually propelling your own body on a real surface
    MSU Spartans!

flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flipnch1nese7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, you're going to have to learn how to pace yourself. And all the training stimuli out their in the real world, hills and everything, just aren't the same on a treadmill.

I say work on building a mileage base outdoors, running 5-6 days a week and building up properly until you have a great mileage and cardio background to work from.
    What in particular's bad about your country town?

What if I don't need to paste myself though? I mean.. what If eventually I can run 2.4k in under 9minutes on a hill and flat surface. Then when it comes to the test I'll be able to just remember the paste I run at on the treadmill.. and keep that paste the whole way, and after all that running on the treadmill it's not as if I'll forget the paste.

The roads are on an angle and hilly with potholes etc.. it's hard to explain but basically every time you run on it your ankle is being like bent and your knee's are running on hard road which aren't good for them.

I'd choose to run on an oval but there aren't any of those around here either. I'm from the city so it's a big difference living here.. but been doing so for past couple of years and hadn't had a problem until it came to running.

deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OP train like "you fight". Why train on a treadmill when you're going to be running outside? You'll need to learn to pace yourself and not slack off, that's the point. Treadmills make it easier since they're all perfectly set up for certain speeds, cushioned and are way different than running and propelling yourself.
    ☆☆☆Ron Paul 2012 Support Crew☆☆☆

~Barefooters Crew~|~Atheist Alliance~| ~Yellow Fever Crew~

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Diskd View Post
    do not train for a race on a treadmill. its good as a cardio equipment, and nothing more. running on treadmills doesnt necessarily equate to actually running.
    I agree as well. The traction and feel in a threadmill is different from that outside in real soil or track field. If there is a nearby track field in your area, then I suggest you train there rather than in your threadmill. You can measure your speed in there better.

Whatever you give to life,it gives you back.
    Do not hate anybody.
    The hatred which comes out from you will someday come back to you.
    Love others. And LOVE will come back to you..

They're just not the same, it's like training for the world title of boxing by playing the Wii.

joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joco1214 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Diskd View Post
    6 min mile pace isnt exactly "flying" btw (1.5 miles in 9 mins)

training should be about building to a point where you can actually sustain a decent speed, this is done by running 4-5 days/week in this case, prob shooting for 30-35 miles/week. do not increase mileage more than 10 miles/week or you asking for injury. have a good and proper fitting pair of running shoes.

to build a solid base from someone who hasnt had prior competitive long distance running training might take you 4 weeks or so.

if youre intending on doing speed work ONCE you have built a solid running base then theres a lot of sample workouts out there for you...
    i always like 400m repeats, in your case you want to do maybe 8 or so ONCE youre ready for this type of training
    for these repeats aim for 1:25-1:30(1:30 is your pace for your race) for each one, with 2-3 mins rest inbetween.

theres tons of speedwork to go out there and try once youre ready, but atm i think you need to focus on building up to that point first

This. Build an endurance base, then add a couple days of intervals each week in addition to a couple days of long runs. I'd recommend 800s and 400s on the intervals. Probably shoot for 1:20 on the 400s and at least under 3:00 on the 800s. Your run should be cake after this.. when'd you say your test was ?
    Consistency is key.