Thread: supersets?

EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)

supersets?

what do you guys think of them?
    i was thinking about switching up my workout a bit
    are they usefull?
    "I eat almonds and natural peanut butter while you eat popcorn and candy.I wake up early to lift weights while you are still in bed sleeping.Through hard work and dedication, I have transformed my body.Through apathy and self pity you have managed to remain mediocre...I know that all men ...were created equal, but for some reason I constantly catch myself feeling that I am better than you, and you know what?.. Its probably true"

LOG:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144770111

lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lahr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It really depends on what you want to superset. I like to superset opposite body parts, for instance

Bi's with Tri's superset. (barbell EZ curl then skull crushers.) or chest and back. or quads and hams. or bench press with pushups, or lat pulldowns with pullups.

So the real question is what are you super setting?

BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    I superset my Bi's and Tri's.

If I know I'm not going to be able to work out 5 days one week I'll superset Legs and Shoulders, cause it's really easy to do because neither one tires out the other.

About Once every two months or so I will superset Chest and Back, just to explode your upperbody.

Depends on your lifting experience though. I say give it a try, see if it works for you. It might, it might not.

BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BenReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh duh didn't even think about supersetting same muscle group. Currently in my chest workout I superset Incline DB press with Incline DB flye.

I guess you can say I'm a fan.

EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) EgyptianLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lahr View Post
    It really depends on what you want to superset. I like to superset opposite body parts, for instance

Bi's with Tri's superset. (barbell EZ curl then skull crushers.) or chest and back. or quads and hams. or bench press with pushups, or lat pulldowns with pullups.

So the real question is what are you super setting?
    im probably gonna give it a try
    well im gonna do the muscles that i wanna focus on most
    bi's and tri's
    and chest ( what would i superset that with, back?)
    shoulders
    "I eat almonds and natural peanut butter while you eat popcorn and candy.I wake up early to lift weights while you are still in bed sleeping.Through hard work and dedication, I have transformed my body.Through apathy and self pity you have managed to remain mediocre...I know that all men ...were created equal, but for some reason I constantly catch myself feeling that I am better than you, and you know what?.. Its probably true"

LOG:

any where i can read an article about it
    im reading one in a musclemag but would like a more detailed one

LOG:

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EgyptianLifter View Post
    and chest ( what would i superset that with, back?)
    That would be Antagonist training.

You can super-set 3 sets of db flies with 3 sets of push-ups. Will give you a good burn.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lahr View Post
    As opposed to...???
    Originally Posted by BenReilly View Post
    Oh duh didn't even think about supersetting same muscle group. Currently in my chest workout I superset Incline DB press with Incline DB flye.
    That isn't a superset.
    Originally Posted by DaRk LuCiFeR View Post
    You can super-set 3 sets of db flies with 3 sets of push-ups. Will give you a good burn.
    Nor is that.

Originally Posted by Excerpt from WEIDER PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU ARRANGE YOUR WORKOUT
    1. Set System Training Principle (Performing one set per bodypart was the old way; the Set System calls for multiple sets for each exercise in order to apply maximum adaptive stress)

2. Superset Training Principle (alternating opposing muscle group exercises with little rest between sets)

3. Compound Sets Training Principle (alternating two exercises for one bodypart with little rest between sets)

4. Tri-Sets Training Principle (Doing 3 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

5. Giant Sets Training Principle (Doing 4-6 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

6. Staggered Sets Principle (injecting 10 sets of boring forearm, abdominal or calf work in between sets for (say) chest or legs)
    That being said I am a huge fan of super setting. Bis/tris are a great pump. I also like to do chest/back. CVS holds me back more than muscular strength in my workouts.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Nor is that.
    Ok, I am confused now. I was told that you can do super sets for the same muscle group.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post309212071

See post #21 also.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok, I am confused now. I was told that you can do super sets for the same muscle group.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post309212071

See post #21 also.
    Your both correct! The old timers use to call super sets for opposing muscle groups, however more recent times the word superset is now reffered to the same muscle group just a different plane of movement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A superset is for opposing muscle groups.

Compound sets are for the same muscle groups.

People will loosely use the term superset, anytime they pair two exercises together. It isn't always correct terminology.

The proper term is going by what Mr. Weider set down long ago.

here is the complete weider philosophies. I have it thanks to John Gargani.

Originally Posted by John Gargani
    Weider methods of training:

I put these at the end of a thread with a not particularly favorable opening post, so, I just thought that if I gave it a thread of it's own, some people might like to print it out.

as I explained in the previous thread, you must give credit to someone like Joe Weider, not because he invented all of this, which he didn't, but simply that after culling all of this knowledge from various people, he arranged it in a logical fashion and put it into print for people to read.

His principles were the Father of terminology that we use today....

WEIDER PRINCIPLES:

WEIDER PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR TRAINING CYCLE

1. Cycle Training Principle (Breaking your training year into cycles for strength, mass or contest preparation you help avoid injury and keep your body responsive to adaptation)

2. Split System Training Principle (Breaking your workout week into upper versus lower body training, for example, results in more intense training sessions)

3. Double or Triple Split Training Principle (Breaking your workout down into two or three shorter, more intense training sessions per day)

4. Muscle Confusion Principle (Muscles accommodate to a specific type of stress ("habituate" or "plateau") when you continually apply the same stress to your muscles over time, so you must constantly vary exercises, sets, reps and weight to avoid accommodation)

5. Progressive Overload Principle (The basis of increasing any parameter of fitness is to make your muscles work harder than they are accustomed to)

6. Holistic Training Principle (Different cellular organelles respond differently to different forms of stress, so using a variety of rep/set schemes, intensity and frequency will maximize muscle mass)

7. Eclectic Training Principle (Combining mass, strength or isolation-refinement training techniques as your instincts dictate into your program often help you achieve greater progress)

8. Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

WEIDER PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU ARRANGE YOUR WORKOUT

1. Set System Training Principle (Performing one set per bodypart was the old way; the Set System calls for multiple sets for each exercise in order to apply maximum adaptive stress)

2. Superset Training Principle (alternating opposing muscle group exercises with little rest between sets)

3. Compound Sets Training Principle (alternating two exercises for one bodypart with little rest between sets)

4. Tri-Sets Training Principle (Doing 3 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

5. Giant Sets Training Principle (Doing 4-6 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

6. Staggered Sets Principle (injecting 10 sets of boring forearm, abdominal or calf work in between sets for (say) chest or legs)

7. Rest-Pause Principle (using 85-90 percent of your max, do 2-3 reps and put the weight down. Then do 2-3 more, rest, 2-3 more and rest for a total of 3-4 rest-pauses. The short rest-pauses allow enough time for ATP to be resynthesized and permit further reps with the heavy weight);

8. Muscle Priority Principle (Work your weaker body parts first in any given workout; alternatively, work the larger muscle groups first, while you?re fresh and energy levels still high)

9. Pre-Exhaustion Principle (example: superset flies, a chest isolation exercise, with bench presses, a compound exercise involving triceps and chest, in order to maximize chest development by pre-exhausting the triceps)

10. Pyramiding Training Principle (start a bodypart session with higher rep/low weight and gradually add weight (and commensurably reduce the reps), ending with a weight you can do for 5 reps or so)

11. Descending Sets Principle (lighter weights from set to set as fatigue sets in --0 called "stripping")

12. Staggered Sets Training Principle (stagger smaller, slow-developing body parts in between sets for larger muscle groups)

13. Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

WEIDER PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU PERFORM EACH EXERCISE

1. Isolation Principle (All muscles act as stabilizers, synergists, antagonist or protagonist. By making any given muscle the prime mover in any given exercise you?ve "isolated" it as much as possible, and therefore the stress applied to it)

2. Quality Training Principle (gradually reducing the rest between sets while still maintaining or increasing the number of reps performed)

3. Cheating Training Principle (swing weight past the sticking point at the end of a set in order to add stress)

4. Continuous Tension Principle (maintain slow, continuous tension on muscles to maximize red fiber involvement)

5. Forced Reps Training Principle (partner-assisted reps at the end of a set)

6. Flushing Training Principle (Doing 3-4 exercises for a bodypart before moving to another bodypart)

7. Burns Training Principle (2-3 inch, quick movements at the end of a set

8. Partial Reps Training Principle (Because of leverage changes throughout any given exercise, it?s sometimes helpful to do partial movements with varying weight in order to derive maximum overload stress for that bodypart)

9. Retro-Gravity Principle ("Negatives" or "eccentrics" as they?re called, make it possible to get more muscle cells to respond because you can lower about 30-40 percent more weight than you can successfully lift concentrically);

10. Peak Contraction Principle (holding the weight through maximum contraction for a few seconds at the completion of a movement);

11. Superspeed Principle (compensatory acceleration of movements to stimulate hard-to-reach fast twitch fibers);

12. Iso-Tension Principle (method of practicing posing, tensing each muscle maximally for 6-10 seconds for up to a total of 30-44 flexes in a variety of posing positions);

13. Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

where i can i find a superset workout?

LOG:

People will loosely use the term superset, anytime they pair two exercises together. It isn't always correct terminology.
    Touche, good sir, touche.....You are correct. I guess I was a little overzealous in replying. good call!

Originally Posted by EgyptianLifter View Post
    where i can i find a superset workout?
    In your head?

pair exercises together:

Barbell Curl/ Tricep Pressdown
    Bench Press/ Bent over row
    etc etc
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The only real advantage to supersets i think is to save time. The only thing i superset is abs because i cant be bothered spending too long on them.

TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000)
    First of all Supersetting is a made up term and but is as chazzy posted it's performing two back to back exercises of opposing muscles or two independant muscles with no/very little rest between. It only purpose is to speed up your time in the gym. A lot of people are now terming some supersets for performing two exercised for the same muscle (This does not necessarily mean the same exercises) Two of the same exercises is called compound sets and three is termed a giant set but if you do the same exercise with no/very little rest it can be called a superset. Some people now perform a bench press then imediately go to dumbbell flys. Is this a superset? To me yes if you perform the two with little or no rest between exercises.
    Last edited by TulsaCoker; 04-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Owe:

dunkalicious

Originally Posted by TulsaCoker View Post
    First of all Supersetting is a made up term and but is as chazzy posted it's performing two back to back exercises of opposing muscles or two independant muscles with no/very little rest between. It only purpose is to speed up your time in the gym. A lot of people are now terming some supersets for performing two exercised for the same muscle. This does not necessarily mean the same exercises. Two of the same exercises is called compound sets but if you do the same exercise with no/very little rest it can be called a superset. Some people now perform a bench press then imediately go to dumbbell flys. It sthis a superset? To me yes if you perform the two with little or no rest between exercises.
    No, that is a compound set. I laid everything out. read a few posts above, and it should all become clear to you.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000) TulsaCoker is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree that's how WEIDER defined his superset but a lot of people now have termed a superset as doing two different exercises, back to back, with no rest period in between, whether it's opposing muscles exercises or the same muscle exercises.

Even bobybuilding.com defines it this way

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brenda23.htm

http://www.criticalbench.com/superset_workout.htm
    Last edited by TulsaCoker; 04-01-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Owe:

dunkalicious

Chasing that 405 Bench msm172021121's Avatar
    msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    whatever you wanna refer to it as (chazzy's right btw) it doesnt matter. the fact is, in regards to the OP's question- yes pairing two sets together is a good way to work multiple muscles at the same time. the best thing to do is do single sets for a while 2-3 weeks, then do compound/supersets for 2-3 weeks, then you could go back to single sets for a while, or try some "giant" sets(4 exercises done one after another with no rest in between). main thing is to keep changing it up after a few weeks.

Originally Posted by lancs_hotpot View Post
    The only real advantage to supersets i think is to save time. The only thing i superset is abs because i cant be bothered spending too long on them.
    Yes, that seems like a good plan.

FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FAO is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im down with the save time thing, also I tend to superset things more in the summer when my workouts dont have long breaks and my focus is cutting. You can superset anything, lol
    FAO

Stay Healthy...

lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lancs_hotpot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is.

BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000) BOUNTYHUNTERMK2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A superset is for opposing muscle groups.

The proper term is going by what Mr. Weider set down long ago.
    Eh? So if it hasn't been written down by uncle Joe it ain't legit? C'mon...

Who's to say if it's correct terminology or not? TBH a superset is what it says, a set that is super (as it were).

It is ''super'' due to being two exercises paired together, same body part or not...
    ''There’s this battle over waterboarding at places like Guantanamo Bay. I think that they should just say, “Hey, if you guys don’t talk, you have to see Hercules In New York.” I guarantee those guys would talk much faster. You don’t need to do waterboarding or anything else. That’s the ultimate threat.''

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Team Kai

''Well that's a kick in the gentleman relish'' MaKaiser