chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

ibuprofen for tooth pain

my wisdom teeth are coming through and there is room for them to grow, but the pain as they're coming through the gum is at times unbearable. I'm going to start taking some ibuprofen + codeine (800mg) which takes the pain away for about 6-7 hours (until they stop hurting, probably a month or so).

I've read the study about how ibuprofen inhibits protein synthesis located here http://www.pinnaclefitness-online.co...ch_current.htm and alot of threads on here which dictate the same thing.

My question is however, if i have to take ibuprofen, how long after the workout is it safe to take it with having minimal effect on protein synthesis?
    For example, I usually finish training at about 8pm and am awoken at night at about 1am with some pain which prevents me from sleeping. What are the effects of taking ibuprofen 5-6 hours after the workout in regards to protein syntehsis?

I'm going to take it anyways, because in any case.. I'd rather get a good nights sleep

Thanks
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but no body wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Take the meds. Sleep is amazing with what it does for recovery of the overall body, not just lifting. The pain will inhibit growth anyway.

If the gum has not broken yet (no gapping wound) - check out and see if they have Oralgel or Blistex - lip ointment company makes 1 too, where you are. In the states, we have over the counter meds that desensitizes the area. It comes in adult and child doses. Rub it on the gum/tooth and you will have some relief for at least 2-4 (or more) hours. It really saved me when I had a porcelain cap act up a few weeks ago. The tooth is alive, but capped and the organic tooth part is turned, so it pressed on my front teeth. Horrible pain until the area calmed down about 36 hours later. I may have to get the tooth removed if it keeps up and get an implant.

http://www.muscleandbodymag.com/arti...ArticleID=5064

Subject ?? Low-Dose Ibuprofen Does Not Impair Strength and Size Gains

Source ?? Krentz JR, Quest B, Farthing JP, Quest DW, and PD Chilibeck. The effects of ibuprofen on muscle hypertrophy, strength, and soreness during resistance training. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2008 33:470-475. [Epub ahead of print].

Results ?? In 2002, a study was published that showed high doses (1,200 mg per day) of ibuprofen inhibited muscle protein synthesis in humans. I haven?t taken high doses of ibuprofen since. But findings from a new study show that lower doses of ibuprofen, i.e., 400 mg per day, did not impair strength or size gains over a six-week training period in younger men and women. In fact, gains were virtually identical between placebo and ?ibu? groups.

Practical Applications ?? Despite strong theoretical data to the contrary, daily use of ibuprofen, at least 400 mg or less, does not impair strength or size gains during normal resistance training.

As yours is temporary condition, I'd just focus on maintaining what you have and then build strength gains once your body is not dealing with pain. The Lower jaw has a nerve the size of your pinkie running along it. Just manage you pain and get strength training increases once you are back in your normal form.

Good luck with your wisdom teeth!
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chrisaus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    thanks very much!
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but no body wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie

I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10) I_Fight_Boys is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    800mg!?! The UK sucks!

Can you get anbesol over there? It's a gel you put on the gums and it's amazing.

Feel better soon.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would caution you against using ibuprofen+codeine for more than a few days. You also should not take ibuprofen on an empty stomach (so 1am is not ideal) as it can cause stomach ulcers and GI upset. Codeine tends to make people quite constipated as well so make sure you are getting plenty of fibre!
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can actually take ib. w/ tylenol to relive the pain if Ib's not enough.. it's commonly what dentist will tell you to take. The combo works great together. But stay within the recommended dosages.. If you have problems with the codeine .. some peeps get things like dizzyness that would can cause a problem with lifting.. a few weeks is a long time on codeine IMO..
    Last edited by grace_ou; 04-02-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by grace_ou View Post
    You can actually take ib. w/ tylenol to relive the pain if Ib's not enough.. it's commonly what dentist will tell you to take. The combo works great together. But stay within the recommended dosages..
    Yup this is true All pain killers work better when used in combination with Paracetemol (maximum 8g per day).
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000) MetalMommy is just really nice. (+1000)
    when i had to get my wisdom removed i was on ********...then motrin 800....never had them grow in like that
    not exactly the same but i would say when it coems to pain management...make that your priority right now and make sure your mouth is healthy...
    ~Proud Army Veteran, proud Army wife, Proud supporter of our military~

"Right now is not your fate, only your state."

"Drink water and drive on"

~Aim for the stars, you might catch a cloud. Aim only for the clouds, you will catch the top of a tree~

~~I love my husband, I love my daughter, I am blessed ever day to have them~~