Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can someone explain how or if this works?

I just started doing this Layne Norton power/Hypertrophy workout. Here it is:

Sunday: Upper Power
    -5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
    -Barbell Bench Press
    -Barbell Rows
    -Military Press
    -Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power
    -5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
    -Back Squat
    -Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
    -6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, i like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
    (For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

-DB Incline Bech 3x8-12
    -Barbell Close Grip Bench 3x8-12
    -DB Flat Bench 2x8-12
    -Preacher Curls 3x8-12 super setted with
    -Standing French Press 3x8-12
    -Push Downs 3x8-12 super setted with
    -DB Hammer Curls
    -Cable Crossovers 3x8-12
    -Machine Curl 3x8-12 supersetted with
    -Machine Dips 3x8-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
    (For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

-DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12 super setted with
    -DB Front Raise 3x8-12
    -DB One Arm Row 3x8-12 super setted with
    -DB Arnold Press 3x8-12
    -Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2x8-12 super setted with
    -DB Shrugs 2x10-15
    -Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2x8-12 super setted with
    -DB Upright Row 2x10-15
    -T-bar row 2x8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves

-Hack Squat 5x8-12 super setted with
    -Standing Calf 5x10-15
    -Leg Extensions 5x10-15 super setted with
    -Sitting Leg Curls 5x10-15 super setted with
    -Sitting Calf Raise 4x8-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)

After the first two days for power i really don't feel like i have done anything at all. It just feels like a waste of time. I understand it is for strength and not size but still. Can someone confirm to me that it works and explain how?

guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When Going for power less if more. If you are going for pure power and your trying to do 6 exercises per muscle group your gonna over train yourself within a few weeks.
    "Sometimes you just feel tired.
    You feel weak and when you feel weak you feel like you wanna just give up.
    But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
    and just pull that s*** out of you and get that motivation to not give up
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse." -Eminem

Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pat-the-Jacked is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the reply. Im going for a mix of power and size. someone posted this workout a few days ago and it sounded good. i just couldnt see how 3 excersizes in a day for the first 2 days could do anything

guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guineapig71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well when your working in a 5x5 or 3x5 your sets are supposed to be done at 90-95% of your one rep max as opposed to working with about 75-85% of your 1RM when dong hypertrophy 8-12 rep sets. It might not feel like your working harder but your pushing your body harder than you think.
    and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse." -Eminem

am i supposed to actually feel sore after this? ive been doing about 90% of my 1rm but i dont really feel that sore

I really don't know that, everyone is different. I'm never sore after a workout unless I have taken an extended absence from lifting. However by the 5th rep of the 5th set I'm struggling to get that rep.

Originally Posted by guineapig71 View Post
    I really don't know that, everyone is different. I'm never sore after a workout unless I have taken an extended absence from lifting. However by the 5th rep of the 5th set I'm struggling to get that rep.
    alright thanks for the help

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    soreness is not the only indicator of growith/progress, so as long as you progress on strength day weekly or biweekly then you should be fine.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781