Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FloridaGator View Post
    I know some here will say all that matters is calorie deficit ... but I also think the saying you are what you eat holds some truth to it. If you eat a diet of honey buns and coke but stay at a calorie deficit you will probably lose weight. But will you maintain lean mass in the process? I don't think so ... but I really don't know. If you eat healthier foods, stay at a calorie deficit, and exercise regularly, you will lose weight but probably save a lot of the lean mass and shed the fat.

I also don't think it matters too much when you eat ... especially if you are eating healthy. Though ... again ... nobody will convince me that eating a honey bun right before bed is good even though you are still at a calorie deficit.

These are just my opinions and I very well may be wrong. I think a good goal is to eat enough protein in a day that equals 1g per 1lb lean body mass (or higher) and keep the fat below 20% of calories. Other than that ... common sense will probably guide you in the right direction.
    I agree with this guy, i mean ya being calorie deficit will make you lose weight, but most people have other goals they hope to achieve, like maintaining muscle mass. If i eat 1800 calories of twix bars, it will not be as effective as eating a healthy 1800 calories of clean veggies, healthy fats, whole grains, and good sources of protein. I firmly believe that all calories are not at all created equal.

SunshineMVP has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Chris@UGA View Post
    It's funny, I drink milk and eat bread daily and my cut is going great.

Feel free to check out my thread about my 3 month progress to see just how much bread and milk hurt you on a cut:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115221541
    Wow this is incredible! I feel like genetics have a lot to do with it For a while I was doing a lot of circuit training and eating great (no bad stuff just good carbs with good protein) and still didn't see any major changes... could it be that my body just doesn't want to give it up?? I really want to believe that if I try and try something will eventually work for me ..

Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SunshineMVP View Post
    Wow this is incredible! I feel like genetics have a lot to do with it For a while I was doing a lot of circuit training and eating great (no bad stuff just good carbs with good protein) and still didn't see any major changes... could it be that my body just doesn't want to give it up?? I really want to believe that if I try and try something will eventually work for me ..
    It may just be simply a switch in routine is all you need. Don't change the key ingredients.. just move things around a bit. Switch up some excercises, even take a week off for maintenance so you can reshock your body into changing.

Originally Posted by Drakeprimeone View Post
    It may just be simply a switch in routine is all you need. Don't change the key ingredients.. just move things around a bit. Switch up some excercises, even take a week off for maintenance so you can reshock your body into changing.

I did! This past mon-fri I took off. and weighed myself for the first time in 3 months (I usually don't weigh myself I look at how I look and how my clothes feel) My jeans have started to feel really tight, so I weighed myself and was 145! (138 about 2 months ago) and today in the am before bfast 147 I have been good all week, since I didn't work out mon-fri I did low carb high lean protein and still gain??? WTF?! I just don't get it

Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did! This past mon-fri I took off. and weighed myself for the first time in 3 months (I usually don't weigh myself I look at how I look and how my clothes feel) My jeans have started to feel really tight, so I weighed myself and was 145! (138 about 2 months ago) and today in the am before bfast 147 I have been good all week, since I didn't work out mon-fri I did low carb high lean protein and still gain??? WTF?! I just don't get it
    Are you retaining any water? this could account for the 2 pounds gained.
    Gig em Ags

PR's as of 7/12/10

dl: 475
    squat: 405
    bench: 275

BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500)
    you already look good~! so getting in great shape shouldnt be too hard for ya. what was your typical diet like before you started trying to cut? that will tell the story in what you need to do.
    "...The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
    blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson

"You can't make an empire out of a Republic" - Julius Caesar

Proverbs 24:29. "Do not say, 'I will do to him just as he has done to me; I will render to the man according to his work.'"

"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country" James Madison

BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500) BumP_Therapy is not very helpful. (-500)
    and weight gain in the short term means nothing! water/sodium balances can account for that.

Proverbs 24:29. "Do not say, 'I will do to him just as he has done to me; I will render to the man according to his work.'"

"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country" James Madison

Originally Posted by Froglegs88 View Post
    Are you retaining any water? this could account for the 2 pounds gained.
    I don't think I'm going over board I usually do about 2-3 large bottles of water a day, plus I drink green tea through out the day... but yeah you're right I do feel more bloated sometimes than others..

rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think I'm going over board I usually do about 2-3 large bottles of water a day, plus I drink green tea through out the day... but yeah you're right I do feel more bloated sometimes than others..

What do you mean by large bottles? The more water you drink the less you will retain, and sodium will increase water retention.

Originally Posted by BumP_Therapy View Post
    you already look good~! so getting in great shape shouldnt be too hard for ya. what was your typical diet like before you started trying to cut? that will tell the story in what you need to do.
    Well I just started to "cut" but I guess my diet has been pretty similar to the so called "cut" diet all along... maybe I wasn't eating enough calories before when I was lifting more weight??? I use to do heavy weight and do splits and did heavy legs plus cardio, and ate what I eat about now

my diet is usually this

5:30 am 1/2 C of dry oats to 1 C water with a scoop of natural Whey, 8:30am 1C no sodium non fat cottage cheese, sometimes with whole wheat English Muffin and sometimes just without anything (on lower carb days) 11am 5oz grilled chicken light salt, cooking spray with 1/2C cooked brown rice and broccoli with spinach, 2pm non fat Greek yogurt with cottage cheese
    5pm 5oz grilled chick. with broc and spinach and 1TB olive oil, then 6:30pm I hit the gym, leave at about 7:30-8pm and when I get home I have more cottage cheese or protein shake of just a scoop of protein on water..

This is my diet Mon-Fri
    weekends I might change it up a bit (Sat I might have a glass of wine or fro yo) but same concept and I do hikes and spin class

My workouts are a mix of weights +resistance +circuit + 45-60 min cardio on diff machines with diff resistance heart rate at about 150-160

Lately I have been worse on weekends (more choc, more fro yo, like a small serving Fri, sat, and sun instead of just one day.) Or cookies, but can 2 days of adding more sugary sweets really make me gain??? It wasn't like I was eating cheesecakes and pies all day long!! :/

Originally Posted by rejected View Post
    What do you mean by large bottles? The more water you drink the less you will retain, and sodium will increase water retention.
    33.8 oz bottles... is that enough?

Originally Posted by B_Nelley35 View Post
    Try Keto. I love it. I never feel that carb bloat, and the fat comes off.

Here's my sample diet, I'm 5'7" 179 currently.
    Breakfast: 3-4 Egg Whites, 1 tsp. Flax Seed Oil, 1 tsp. Natty PB

Meal #2: 40g ON Whey, 1 tsp. Natty PB

Lunch: Steak/Chicken, Green Beans

Meal #3: 40g ON Whey, 1 tsp. Flax Seed Oil

(PRE WO) Meal #4: 1 Block Dark Chocolate, 40g ON Whey, 1 Piece of Fruit

(POST WO) Meal #5: 40g ON Whey, Dextrose

Dinner: Steak/Chicken, Green Beans

Pre-Bed: 1-2 tsp. Nat PB, 1 tsp. Flax Seed Oil

I have a cheat day every Sunday. Doesn't mean I splurge, but just have something I like (like today I'm having a Rita's Gelati...it's a PA thing)

I haven't added my carb intake up, but it is pretty low. The most carbs I consume are pre workout.
    Thanks for a sample! How do I know how many grams of each I need to eat for my size? Today I had cards in the am (about 65 g total) 30 before my spin class and 30 after, the rest was protein with healthy fats! as you suggested

Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    What he means about the dry look is because your muscles are made up of muscle fibers and water(mostly). Carbs help transport the water to the muscles to make them look fuller so your muscles will look more deflated on keto due to the lack of carbs.

You need a sufficient amount of water regardless of what diet your on.

If your looking for info on keto go to the nutrition forum and there is a sub-forum there just for keto and keto diets. Really good info there.
    Thanks for the tip! I looked and it some of the stuff sounded like foreign language to me! Is it save to say that you switch you carb and fat intake?? so if you're doing 30 g of fats and 140 carbs to switch them? Or is having about 70g of fats with about 30 grams of carbs and 147 of protein good? I'm 24, 5'5 about 145 and last time I was at 19% body fat although that was months ago...

Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    good post. =)

to the o.p.: i carry most of my fat between below my belly button & 1/2 way up my thighs front & back like you do. i have a big bum, which i love & don't ever want to go away. but i also have a "man gut". you don't seem to have this. instead you have more hips/thighs. that's probably what i'd prefer to tell you the truth. =/

anyway. my lower 1/2 is going away proportionately. but my bum has always been slower to leave. & as i said, i love it. haha. i just can't wait for this man gut to go away. =P

also, i feel your pain w/ the peanut butter. i go through insane amounts. i get the 2kg crunchy no name from superstore/extra foods. i bought 1 late last week, & it's already 1/2 empty. lawlorz. /m\ (i'm also a sucker for cottage cheese. but that's not bad. ) but i'm practising for my i.c.e. evaluation for group fitness (dance/step/bootcamp/etc) ONTOP of my regular cardio/lifting. i'll be getting i.c.e.'d by the end of april. so, i'm starting to practise quite a bit during this final stretch. so, it's not stalling my progress whatsoever. & i'm still managing to lose my fat slowly/steadily. i guess maybe you should maybe add some extra activity into your social life, gym routine, etc.

however, i don't eat chocolate or anything like that. peanut butter is my only "junk food" of choice. so, as you said, that may be where you're going wrong. =S
    hah! Yeah I have that bum too! and yes most of my fat is in my thighs I;m not even asking for much I don't want to be super lean I just want to fit into my jeans and not have a huge dose of cellulite and for starters I want to get my old weight back! and fit into my old jeans!! I already got rid of 2 fave ones since a year ago

Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    33.8 oz bottles... is that enough?
    I try for a gallon of water a day. However, the bloating will be more from diet rather than water intake. Sodium and starchy carbs will cause you to reatain water also. As far as girls retaining water, I don't know how all that stuff ties in with menstrual cycles or anything, but I know that sodium intake, and what type of carbs you consume will have an effect on water retention
    Gig em Ags

PR's as of 7/12/10

dl: 475
    squat: 405
    bench: 275

jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvaughan08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    don't do keto

Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drakeprimeone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you know what your bf% is at? If your avatar pic is current you certainly don't look like someone at 5'5 147. I would have guessed 130 tops with a lot of muscle. It could be possible you packed on some muscle which accounted for the weight gain, and if thats the case your bf % should be proportionately lower.

Just remember the improvement won't be during the week you took off but shortly after you get back into your routine again.

LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    good post. =)

to the o.p.: i carry most of my fat between below my belly button & 1/2 way up my thighs front & back like you do. i have a big bum, which i love & don't ever want to go away. but i also have a "man gut". you don't seem to have this. instead you have more hips/thighs. that's probably what i'd prefer to tell you the truth. =/

anyway. my lower 1/2 is going away proportionately. but my bum has always been slower to leave. & as i said, i love it. haha. i just can't wait for this man gut to go away. =P

also, i feel your pain w/ the peanut butter. i go through insane amounts. i get the 2kg crunchy no name from superstore/extra foods. i bought 1 late last week, & it's already 1/2 empty. lawlorz. /m\ (i'm also a sucker for cottage cheese. but that's not bad. ) but i'm practising for my i.c.e. evaluation for group fitness (dance/step/bootcamp/etc) ONTOP of my regular cardio/lifting. i'll be getting i.c.e.'d by the end of april. so, i'm starting to practise quite a bit during this final stretch. so, it's not stalling my progress whatsoever. & i'm still managing to lose my fat slowly/steadily. i guess maybe you should maybe add some extra activity into your social life, gym routine, etc.

however, i don't eat chocolate or anything like that. peanut butter is my only "junk food" of choice. so, as you said, that may be where you're going wrong. =S
    some people hate cottage cheese!!! peanut butter and cottage cheese are like crack! i dont now how anyone can possibly stop as just one spoonful. as far as i know water retention and the menstrual cycle, is that progesterone causes water retention so its closer to the end of the cycle that girls puff up.
    behind every great woman...is a man checking out her arse

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing & saying booya

If at first you don't succeed you're not Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris wants an egg he cracks open a chicken

according to what you said you eat and you working your legs hard, my assumption would be your leg muscles are growing, thus making you think you are fatter but your not.......

your diet seems good, try to keep the carbs low after like 5 oclock, but get plenty fo good carbs before that........

as far as your exercises try doing all exercises in the 17-20 rep range as this will maintain and tone what you have but wont make you grow...........

do cardio as much as possible.........

drink a gallon of water a day, i know it sounds like alot but it does wonders..

DONT DO KETO, its complete crap

rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BumP_Therapy View Post
    according to what you said you eat and you working your legs hard, my assumption would be your leg muscles are growing, thus making you think you are fatter but your not.......

your diet seems good, try to keep the carbs low after like 5 oclock, but get plenty fo good carbs before that........

as far as your exercises try doing all exercises in the 17-20 rep range as this will maintain and tone what you have but wont make you grow...........

do cardio as much as possible.........

drink a gallon of water a day, i know it sounds like alot but it does wonders..

DONT DO KETO, its complete crap

Worst post I've seen in a while.