Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sardines?

ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10)

cray (crey) fish

they are good , but dont forget to suck the head. good stuff there

wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ardsranger View Post
    hell yeah, that is where all the taste is, hahahahah....also gotta love the corn and taters cooked with em.
    From the body cast of an injured working dog (finding IEDs) in Afghanistan: TALIBAN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

Plato: Only the dead have seen the end of war.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nutritionally, they are terrific. Mercury content is really low, and sardines have extremely high omega-3 content (higher than almost any other fish). Some people don't like the taste of them, but even though they look nasty, I think they actually taste pretty good.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like to eat sardines right out of the can. I love the little buggers, but I really, really like oily fish.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BJE View Post
    I think the wierdest thing I've eaten is frog legs. They taste like chicken.
    I've heard that MOST things taste like chicken... <g>
    Bodybuilders are the only people I know who will consume the worst tasting stuff because they know "it's good for them"...

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wulf88 View Post
    ROFTLMFAO.....I know, I am odd.........I have eaten some wierd things in my travels throughout the world,
    I had a chance to have some mudbugs a long time ago, but declined.
    Bodybuilders are the only people I know who will consume the worst tasting stuff because they know "it's good for them"...

Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000) Hikemike is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
    Oh man, they are great. Excellent nutrition, just really outstanding.

I also eat raw pickled herring now, but of course I'm getting married to a Swede... haha, it's to be expected...
    The creamed herring is, in my opinion, sent from HEAVEN!!!

The sardines in Louisiana hot sauce are the best right out of the tin (if you like hot stuff)!!!!
    "Is it REALLY a passion if it gets abandoned the first time things get tough?

If it is then I suggest finding another passion because things will be tough MUCH more than they will be easy."

-Dave Tate

Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bluerain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Anyone eat them? Like them?

Pros, cons.

How best served?
    I love them Some people don't like the smell and the looks of them..if you can get past that they actually taste good.

Very healthy and loaded with omega .

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Hey Wildtim. Funny seeing you over here. I highly recommend the Crown Prince Brisling Sardines in olive oil. They come in the red box. The best. My Dad and I used to eat them and my Mom would have to leave the room. She couldn't stand the smell of them. They are tasty.
    LOL These are my favorite also I slap them on some wholewheat bread with some mustard..fantastic !

Sardines are my stand by when I don't have time to cook and when I'm sick of tuna.
    Last edited by Bluerain; 06-01-2009 at 05:58 AM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."~~~Benjamin Franklin

X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) X-ring is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "How are they best served?"

On a Ritz cracker w/ a shot of tobassco.
    Sheepdog#47
    ★cVc★
    Panama
    OIFx3
    OEF

Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do eat them and love them. Since its pressure cooked, you can eat the bones of the fish and good source of calcium for the bones. Also not that fattening unlike corned beef.

Whatever you give to life,it gives you back.
    Do not hate anybody.
    The hatred which comes out from you will someday come back to you.
    Love others. And LOVE will come back to you..

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ardsranger View Post
    I don't swing that way...

halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) halogenic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I eat canned sardines, just mash them up into a paste, add raw diced onion and spread it on toast with a bit of salt and pepper.

bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000)
    great recipe ideas here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/458828

The ones I wanna try:

-We use this method from one of Andrew Weil's books. Empty the sardines into a bowl, add dijon mustard to taste as well as some minced onion, and mash into a spread with a fork. Very tasty spread on a whole grain cracker or good bread. (We also like to add a dry gin martini on the side.)

-My way is to mix Tobasco with cottage cheese and chopped onions, spread that on good bread, then add sardines on top.

Sounds kinda weird, but it's really good.

-Saute them and then toss them with some spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese. This is how we eat on Christmas Eve. Very tasty.
    Be, be here, be there, be that, be this
    Be grateful for life, be grateful to life
    Be gleeful everyday, for being the best swimmer among 500,000
    ~It's Your World, POPS

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Pros, cons.

How best served?
    I love 'em.

Skin on, with some good Italian or Greek cheese and olives.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Hey Wildtim. Funny seeing you over here. I highly recommend the Crown Prince Brisling Sardines in olive oil. They come in the red box. The best. My Dad and I used to eat them and my Mom would have to leave the room. She couldn't stand the smell of them. They are tasty.
    Yes, those are good. I just open the can and dump the entire contents on my salad. Then I grind some fresh pepper on top. I add a little balsamic vinegar to the salad and that's a good meal.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jellodirt View Post
    My guilty pleasure is smoked oysters.
    hard to keep lit though!

I was looking for something else to try for protien. I may have to get a can or 2 to try. I havent tried them since childhood

Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rogerthat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by muttytwist View Post
    I love sardines, straight from the tin. The one downside ( and why I now can't have them ) is they are high in salt. Some of us have to wacth our blood pressure.
    This I never got. They are no higher in salt then most other foods. Sardines are one of the best foods you can eat. Very low mercury, high protein, convenient. Get the ones that are packed in tomato sauce. They are addicting.

blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000) blastertech70 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I empty two cans in a bowl add some hot sauce... yum yum !!!!
    9-26-08 407 lbs
    5-25-09 315 lbs
    5-26-09 313 lbs
    5-10-09 310 lbs
    6-21-09 308 lbs
    6-26-09 306 lbs
    6-30-09 305 lbs
    7-13-09 298 lbs
    9-15-09 295 lbs

112 lbs total loss

Goal weight = 230 lbs

" There are no victims only volunteers"

Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rogerthat View Post
    Very low mercury, high protein, convenient. Get the ones that are packed in tomato sauce. They are addicting.

Probably the "safest" fish you can eat.

My favorite are King Oscar a little pricey but worth it IMO....

Registered User mountainplumbing's Avatar
    mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10) mountainplumbing is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Pros, cons.

How best served?
    With everything I have read it looks like with all the Oils and Protein the good out weights the bad. Been Slamming them for lunch for a while. The kind in hot sauce will fill you up. Have a great day man.

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My grandfather used to have a can of King Oscar sardines as his Friday night treat. I don't really like them, but always have some pickled herring on hand.