Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sweet vs. Regular Potatoes

I hate sweet potatoes with a passion. Their texture, taste, and smell I can hardly stomach. Regular potatoes, meanwhile, I can eat all day and not get sick of. Heck, I even like them raw! Provided I'm staying within my prescribed macros, is there any good reason why I should try and choke down sweet potatoes during a pre-contest diet?

Thanks,

Ken

TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TexasTorch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you know I wondered the same thing...I am eager to hear what others have to say!
    I don't exactly share your hatred of the sweet potato, I eat them as quickly as possible but I would much prefer the other!
    “He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.” Aeschylus

cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjackway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sweet potatoes are high in Fiber which makes them a low glycemic index food. In English...They don't spike insulin like regular potatoes due to the fiber slowing the digestive process thus blunting a craving for more carbs. They are also very high in Vit C (antioxidents) and Vit A.
    Chris
    Team Scivation member

at0m1k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sweet potato or any potato is just fine while carb loading.

The main thing is to starve the body of carbs to induce the super compensation of glycogen storage. AKA... no carbs about 7 days out then flood em in 3 days before showtime. And no cardio 3 days before showtime. (There are a million variations of this)

What I would be concerned with is the GI of the carb. The higher the GI the faster it is in your bloodstream. Its surly a good thing to have a small amount of lower glycemic carbs to hold you over and feed off of. However if your body is in a super compensation mode, aka storing more carbs than normal, I'd say taking a good sugar or something like Karbolyn or Vitargo would be key.

Get em in fast during your super compensation window.
    "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

Lifting 101: There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately "works."

www.myspace.com/at0m1k

kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10) kennethbanks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cjackway View Post
    Sweet potatoes are high in Fiber which makes them a low glycemic index food. In English...They don't spike insulin like regular potatoes due to the fiber slowing the digestive process thus blunting a craving for more carbs. They are also very high in Vit C (antioxidents) and Vit A.
    Chris
    Goddammit!

Thank you for the input, though. Guess I won't give up on sweet potatoes after all. I'll work on preparing them a different way.

-Ken

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    regular potatoes are perfectly fine and DO NOT worry about the GI index or "insulin spike" nonsense. unless you are eating just a potato/sweet potato as your meal the insulin spike will be mitigated by the protein/fats you consume along with the potato.

the only real difference is in micronutrients and vitamins, personally i enjoy both kinds so i eat both. but you could eat just the regular potatoes (same macros) and be fine

AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    well, russet potatos digest MUCH faster than sweet potatos and could make contest prep very difficult...unless you like like being so hungry you cant think straight

sweet potatos will hold you over until the next meal.

now for loading up before a show, a carb is a carb, is a carb...you just gotta make sure you start soon enough
    ...imnoting

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well first of all make sure you cook the potato until its soft and kind of mushy, then get it out of the microwave, measure out a couple of tablespoons of light brown sugar, pour it all around the cut open SP, put a touch of cinnamon over top of the brown sugar, and then wrap it up in aluminum foil for about 5=10 minutes. If you are not dieting for a show, just pour a good amount of brown sugar in, more the better

Also if your not cutting, turn the oven on broil or w/e for like 2minutes, put a couple of marshmallows over top of the above recipe ^ and let the marshmallows get real brown on top so that they are melted good. Then EAT!! Tell me if sweet potato isnt on yout top favorite food list then because it easily became mine.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TigerStealth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AniMaLizTik View Post
    well, russet potatos digest MUCH faster than sweet potatos and could make contest prep very difficult...unless you like like being so hungry you cant think straight

now for loading up before a show, a carb is a carb, is a carb...you just gotta make sure you start soon enough
    actually i would disagree with both points.

1) the potatoes would only digest much faster if your eating it by itself (I believe, maybe i'm wrong though)

2) when loading up before a show, that is the only time I would say a carb is NOT a carb because some people have minor allergies to certain carbs (like oats) so you want to go with a carb source that you know you have no problem with

AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TigerStealth View Post
    actually i would disagree with both points.

1) the potatoes would only digest much faster if your eating it by itself (I believe, maybe i'm wrong though)

2) when loading up before a show, that is the only time I would say a carb is NOT a carb because some people have minor allergies to certain carbs (like oats) so you want to go with a carb source that you know you have no problem with
    1) im speaking from experience; everyone is dif i guess

2)i was refering to digesting, but i guess your are right? lol
    ...imnoting

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    regular potatoes are perfectly fine and DO NOT worry about the GI index or "insulin spike" nonsense. unless you are eating just a potato/sweet potato as your meal the insulin spike will be mitigated by the protein/fats you consume along with the potato.

the only real difference is in micronutrients and vitamins, personally i enjoy both kinds so i eat both. but you could eat just the regular potatoes (same macros) and be fine
    Right here, cut and dry and to the damn point! Money!

You know... I rarely do this. But your comp pic is really not impressive and I would never follow your advice, unless you're some master trainer I never heard about?

If you REREAD or actually better, READ my post I was referring to getting a high GI carb to load quicker not because you NEED and insulin spike. It's not a bad idea to do a combination of both so you actually have something substantial in your stomach, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen dudes drop from shows due to constipation from a single source carb.

I walk on stage a 221 and pretty lean and striated... I think I know a little here and there about nutrition and dieting.

Lifting 101: There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately "works."

www.myspace.com/at0m1k

Originally Posted by at0m1k View Post
    You know... I rarely do this. But your comp pic is really not impressive and I would never follow your advice, unless you're some master trainer I never heard about?

If you REREAD or actually better, READ my post I was referring to getting a high GI carb to load quicker not because you NEED and insulin spike. It's not a bad idea to do a combination of both so you actually have something substantial in your stomach, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen dudes drop from shows due to constipation from a single source carb.

I walk on stage a 221 and pretty lean and striated... I think I know a little here and there about nutrition and dieting.
    1)I was not replying to your DAY OFF competition carb loading point; rather, I was responding to the use of potatoes v sweet potatoes throughout a contest diet, which is EXACTLY what the topic creator asked: "during a pre-contest diet." So maybe you should REREAD the first post and the TOPIC of this entire thread.

2)Thanks for the insult, you certainly have quite a bit of size on me, so congratulations you managed to beat out a kid who has been training for 1.5 years and competed in his first natural contest. I managed to get split hamstrings and almost striations in my glutes for my first contest so I am happy with how I did. I do not feel insecure, and I certainly do not feel the need to insult others.

O and by the way... take a look below...how did those diuretics work out for you? I mean, like you said, you know nutrition and dieting, so clearly you would not need diuretics, and even if you did have to rely on diuretics to get you lean, surely you wouldn't misuse them? Na, you are too smart and experienced for that.

This time I'm going to lay off the diuretics as much as possible. I took almost 14 starcaps over 3 days time to shed water. It surely took its toll on smoothing me out cause I do have decent vascularity just not a lot of it showed up due to so much water loss in the muscle.

Bronze Account Holder Whomper107's Avatar
    Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Come on now guys, everyone obviously has their own views on this, but there is no need to make it personal.

As for my view - I don't think you should eat anything you don't like, contest prep or not. If you hate sweet potatoes, don't eat them. Sub for something you do like, whether it be white or red potatoes, oats, or any other carb source. Or try spicing your sweet potato up a bit - add Smart Squeeze butter spread (5cal/tbsp.) with some cinnamon/Splenda. I personally think that is a real treat, but to each his own.

Everything I have read suggests that the GI index is minimally useful because protein/fats/fiber all have such a huge impact on digestion speed. Based on that, it is my opinion that as long as something fills you up enough (IE not table sugar, junk food, or empty calories - they will leave you hungry), it is fine to eat if you accurately count the calories in it.
    *No sets to failure crew*
    *germanyt crew*

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)

No need for that bashing bro. You are an experienced competitor, AND cycling something something from time to time, OBVIOUSLY, and he still looks a tad bit better conditioned than you at his first show. Honestly dont bash somebody for competing, and do well with his physique already. He has had one of the most knowledgable contest consultants around, so he might have learned a few things from him by doing the diet through him.

1)

O and by the way... take a look below...how did those diuretics work out for you? I mean, like you said, you know nutrition and dieting, so clearly you would not need diuretics, and even if you did have to rely on diuretics to get you lean, surely you wouldn't misuse them? Na, you are too smart and experienced for that.

Burn...no need for the insults torwards you from a 26 year old male. You give advice, and he gives advice, but obviously he is not able to handle someone else with a different mind over the matter. Its quite pathetic when you say nothing to him, and he bashes you physique when you have less muscle than him, but you are more conditioned. He would not have had split hamstrings showing if they were not as well developed either.
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Really no difference in the GI scale...

Sweet potato is good with when dolled up with sweet accessories such as honey, peanut butter etc....Potato goes great with my steak. I like them both, don't eat the one you don't like.

That is about it.
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kennethbanks View Post
    I hate sweet potatoes with a passion. Their texture, taste, and smell I can hardly stomach. Regular potatoes, meanwhile, I can eat all day and not get sick of. Heck, I even like them raw! Provided I'm staying within my prescribed macros, is there any good reason why I should try and choke down sweet potatoes during a pre-contest diet?

Thanks,

Ken
    Most competitors are gonna say stay away from white potatoes. But I'm about to admit something... my first competition diet I ate white rice and white potatoes 3 times a day. And after the competition I still ate the same diet and still got leaner... WITH NO CARDIO !

So for 2 weeks, I actually tested my blood glucose levels every 10 minutes for 2 hours after eating the whites one week, then the next week eating sweet potato and wild rice. My results... no difference. I was consuming 15-30 g of carbs per meal and the same 3 oz of chicken breast and 1 cup of brocolli. Those were the lousiest 2 weeks I've ever experienced.... sore fingertips, yearning tastebuds. I'll never do that again

A baked potato has a glycemic index of 85 (very high and not recommended) and sweet potatoes have 61, (considered medium). White and brown rice index scores are 69 and 50, respectively! Oddly, according to the international glycemic index, alot of fruits are lower in the GI rating, but most competitors I know avoid fruits.

Any comments?
    Josie "TRAINER JO" Dalton

Site: http://www.TrainerJo.com
    Talk Show: coming back soon
    FB: http://www.********.com/lasvegastrainerjo
    IG: @Ms.Trainer.Jo
    Google Plus: COMING SOON
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/trainerjo
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mstrainerjo

scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000)

props to you bro, this is correct. I eat two baked potatoes daily. And pwo I have 400 grams, yep about 67 grams of carbs and I weight 155. I get in fine shape for shows and so do my clients. You are fine eating white with protein and some fats. Now if you ate them alone, sure higher glycemic.

The GI index is overblown because we never eat carbs without protein at bodybuilders, unless we purposely want a spike in our insulin, so.....eat up. Plus I believe baked is higher in potassium than sweet, throw some sea salt on them, I think you will like the look you get.
    Scivation Sponsored Athlete: http://scivation.com/teamscivation/jasontheobald.htm
    www.nattynutrition.com
    www.physiquetalk.com

scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000) scoobysnacks is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by josephinedalton View Post
    Most competitors are gonna say stay away from white potatoes. But I'm about to admit something... my first competition diet I ate white rice and white potatoes 3 times a day. And after the competition I still ate the same diet and still got leaner... WITH NO CARDIO !

So for 2 weeks, I actually tested my blood glucose levels every 10 minutes for 2 hours after eating the whites one week, then the next week eating sweet potato and wild rice. My results... no difference. I was consuming 15-30 g of carbs per meal and the same 3 oz of chicken breast and 1 cup of brocolli. Those were the lousiest 2 weeks I've ever experienced.... sore fingertips, yearning tastebuds. I'll never do that again

A baked potato has a glycemic index of 85 (very high and not recommended) and sweet potatoes have 61, (considered medium). White and brown rice index scores are 69 and 50, respectively! Oddly, according to the international glycemic index, alot of fruits are lower in the GI rating, but most competitors I know avoid fruits.

Any comments?
    my only comment is you are VERY smart for doing this. ive done the same and found the same results, good for you.
    Scivation Sponsored Athlete: http://scivation.com/teamscivation/jasontheobald.htm
    www.nattynutrition.com
    www.physiquetalk.com

Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cjackway View Post
    Chris
    Aside from having higher nutrients than just ordinary potato, sweet potato makes you feel fuller due to the fiber. Also since sweet potato has a different kind of carbohydrates than plain potato, having lower GI, choosing low GI carbs - the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels - is the secret to long-term health reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes and is the key to sustainable weight loss.

At times, though the minimal downside of it is production of gases in your stomach which makes you fart if your stomach cant take much that sweet potato. This is a case to case basis.

Whatever you give to life,it gives you back.
    Do not hate anybody.
    The hatred which comes out from you will someday come back to you.
    Love others. And LOVE will come back to you..

Well, that question certainly sparked some interesting debate! Big thanks to everyone that took the time to give me your insight, as all of you are far more educated on the topic than I. I can honestly say that I learn something new EVERY DAY via this forum. For that, I sincerely thank all of you.

As for my battle with the sweet potato, it reached a very humorous and satisfying conclusion. Deciding that I was going to start mixing sweet and regular potatoes, yesterday afternoon I began cutting up both a sweet and regular spud, with the plan of mixing them together on a baking sheet, baking them until they were a little bit over-crisp, and then selecting from that pile my carb sources for today. While doing this, my cat Crab Rangoon (yes, I named her after one of my favorite foods) jumped on the counter, swiped one of the sweet potato pieces out of the pan, and lunged after it. I quickly grabbed the piece and, in an effort to tease her a little, popped it in my mouth and ate it. Guess what? It was DELICIOUS! I had never tried them raw, and now that I have, there is no turning back! They taste almost like a very crisp, dry, mild fruit. It's safe to say that I have cooked my last sweet potato, but will no doubt be enjoying them for years to come!

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

-Ken

fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitfranco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Actually, I am on regular potatoe kick. Love baking them up with some olive oil, salt and pepper! Great stuff, and I started my prep.

Last time I competed, I used a lot of regular pasta and infact, kept it in the diet up until the week before the show.

My point is, just dont over eat, stay within what works for you, period.
    Variety of food is the key here, not saying one is better to prove a point..
    Joe

IFPA PRO and OCB Promoter

www.TeamFrancoBodyBuilding.com
    www.********.com/TeamFrancoBodybuilding

OCB - Beyond Nutrition Natural
    April 21st 2012 - Burlington, New Jersey
    Bodybuilding, Figure & Bikini

OCB Mid-Atlantic Battle for the Belt, IFPA Pro Qualifier
    August 25th, 2012 - Burlington, New Jersey
    Bodybuilding, Figure & Bikini

1)I was not replying to your DAY OFF competition carb loading point; rather, I was responding to the use of potatoes v sweet potatoes throughout a contest diet, which is EXACTLY what the topic creator asked: "during a pre-contest diet." So maybe you should REREAD the first post and the TOPIC of this entire thread.

2)Thanks for the insult, you certainly have quite a bit of size on me, so congratulations you managed to beat out a kid who has been training for 1.5 years and competed in his first natural contest. I managed to get split hamstrings and almost striations in my glutes for my first contest so I am happy with how I did. I do not feel insecure, and I certainly do not feel the need to insult others.

Yeah I did take a bunch of diuretic for that particular show I did. And guess what I managed to learn an interesting concept... TRIAL and ERROR. Welcome to BB.

www.myspace.com/at0m1k

almost at stage weight! Squizzzer's Avatar
    Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by josephinedalton View Post

Any comments?
    awesome experiment....

as far as fruits i see no reason to stay away from them...
    NSCA-CPT

Getting THICK!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117797281

almost at stage weight! Squizzzer's Avatar
    Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Squizzzer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the hair cut is by far the best part of this whole thread
    NSCA-CPT

Getting THICK!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117797281

COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) COZ999 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love how guys who do juice and follow that "palumbo" diet nonsense, all try to clown us naturals. Why in the hell would you compare yourself to a natural guy and say he doesnt know what hes talking about. YEa so what if your twin turbo vette can beat my nissan 350z, it doesnt mean the Z is slow. We all have different goals, and obviously if tigerstealth can achieve that conditioning in 1.5 years and compete he knows a "little" something about bb.

btw pretty sure layne norton isnt as big as you but could sure school you in dieting know-how

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)

This pretty much epitomizes arrogance... wow...
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by imccarthy View Post
    This pretty much epitomizes arrogance... wow...
    my thoughts as well.

TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AniMaLizTik View Post

Your absolutely wrong. There is a ton of research that shows white potato's (russets) provide more satiety. And as mentioned above, if added to a meal with a fat and protein source then gastric emptying will be slowed.

Also, if your dieting your bound to be hungry anyway. I don't care what type of potato you eat.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.- John 16:33

B.S., Exercise Sports Science - Texas State University

TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000) TexFlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sweet potato or any potato is just fine while carb loading.

The main thing is to starve the body of carbs to induce the super compensation of glycogen storage. AKA... no carbs about 7 days out then flood em in 3 days before showtime. And no cardio 3 days before showtime. (There are a million variations of this)

What I would be concerned with is the GI of the carb. The higher the GI the faster it is in your bloodstream. Its surly a good thing to have a small amount of lower glycemic carbs to hold you over and feed off of. However if your body is in a super compensation mode, aka storing more carbs than normal, I'd say taking a good sugar or something like Karbolyn or Vitargo would be key.

Get em in fast during your super compensation window.
    GI of a carb doesn't matter. That GI crap is just that "CRAP". There are so many flaws with GI. Let me list a few for you.

-They only measure in 50g or 100g boluses
    -Done in a fasted state
    -They don't take into account the person's bodytype
    -The carb isn't combined with a fat or protein source
    -They don't take into account satiety

If you knew anything about GI you would know that you can lower the GI of food by: boiling, freezing and toasting.

Please tell me what your "super compensation" window is? Must be some Flex magazine stuff. If you've been dieting for 16-20 weeks like most natural bodybuilders, there is not a need to completely deplete, 16-20 weeks of dieting will probably do that anyway. And for natural athletes there isn't a need to carb load for 3 days either. More Flex magazine stuff I suppose..
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.- John 16:33

B.S., Exercise Sports Science - Texas State University