the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 153 :: What Are The Best Unheard-of/Underused Exercises?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: How can I win? Answer all questions in the order that they are asked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Best Unheard-of/Underused Exercises?

For the week of: 3/24 - 3/30
    Monday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are an uncountable number of exercises, however, there are the same few exercises that everyone uses in their workouts.

What are the best unheard-of/underused exercises? (Include a description of how they are performed)

Why are these exercises so unheard-of and underused?

How do these exercises compare to the more ?mainstream? exercises?

BONUS QUESTION: How often do you incorporate these exercises into your workout routine?

* IMPORTANT: Please make sure your responses are original and not copied from previous topics.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

----------------------------------
    NEW PRIZE MONEY!!!!!

The best response will get $75 in credit, and second place will get $50 in credit to use in our online store and will have their workout posted on our main site for the world to see!

NEW RULE!!!!!

* New Rule: Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks,
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by webmaster; 03-31-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did you mean for the week of 3/24-3/30?
    Current Stack:
    Torrent - Green Apple Avalanche and Cherry Berry Blast
    Ultra Iso-Whey - Chocolate Shake

wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wtfmate08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are the best unheard-of/underused exercises? (Include a description of how they are performed)

UNDERUSED:

FRONT SQUAT

First and foremost, I must mention the front squat. I have had lower back pain since I was 14, so back squats always left me with muscle spasms. I was doing lunges and split squats for a long time before the front squat was shown to me. I immediately fell in love with it.

Here is how to preform it:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...+Barbell+Squat

I should point out that I hold the barbell in the catch position of a clean (the picture labeled "4"): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2002/powerclean2.jpg

I like the improved flexibility I get with my wrists. If you don't have the flexibility, I suggest working up to it as it will help with your cleans as well.

The back squat is touted as the best leg exercise you can do. While I don't doubt it's effectiveness (and I think you would be crazy to), I believe the front squat is just as good as the back squat. A study done at the University of Florida concluded that "The front squat was as effective as the back squat in terms of overall muscle recruitment, with significantly less compressive forces and extensor moments. The results suggest that front squats may be advantageous compared with back squats for individuals with knee problems such as meniscus tears, and for long-term joint health. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19002072?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPan el.Pubmed_RVDocSum)"

Even if you don't have back pain I would suggest throwing some front squats into your routine once in a while. You will get the added bonus of working your core due to the fact that you really have to stabilize the load because it is in front of you and not resting on your back.

PULLUP/CHINUP

How to preform:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...p?Name=Pullups

In my opinion, the pullup (palms facing away from you) is the single best back-building exercise that exists. If you change it to a chinup (palms toward you), you throw your biceps into the mix. The problem is, I see people settling for doing lat pulldowns instead of pullups. While the lat pulldown is valuable in some cases, it doesn't compare to the pullup because you don't work many of the stabilization muscles needed when you pull your own body-weight.

POWER SNATCH

How to preform:

The power snatch is very similar to the power clean:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...me=Power+Clean

There are two key differences, however. In the power snatch, you take a much wider grip. On most barbells you will want to grip about 1/2" outside the out-most ring (I have long arms, so you might not want to grab as far). The other key difference is the catch position. Instead of catching it in front of your neck, you catch it over your head. It helps if the bar is directly overhead as opposed to slightly in front of your head due to the fact that the latter will throw off your balance and you could end up looking like a fool in front of everyone at the gym.
    There is much discussion about how great the power clean is. And while I agree, and incorporate power cleans into my routine, I find the power snatch to be much more valuable to increasing my explosive power and strength. Less weight is moved due to the fact that there is a greater range of motion, but it requires you to be much more explosive in order to get the weight overhead.

DRAG CURL

The drag curl is one of the exercises at the gym that a good number of people have heard of, but nearly none do. The drag curl is almost identical to a regular curl (using either a barbell or dumbbells) except for the plane in which you lift the weight. Instead of lifting it in an arc motion, you "drag" it parallel to your body throughout the whole lift.

In my experience, this helps to decrease the amount my forearms are used, and drastically increase the amount my biceps are used. There are also less ways to cheat during the lift, which is an important safety factor as well.

UNHEARD OF:

(Please note: I am sure some of you have heard of/seen this preformed. I put these three in this category because the vast majority of people would have no idea what the h*ll you are talking about if you mentioned any of these.)

JUMP SQUAT

I first learned of the jump squat while doing the Air Alert program. While Air Alert doesn't have the best rap in the bodybuilding community, I find the jump squat to be an invaluable tool in my lifting arsenal.

To preform the jump squat:

1. Cross your hands onto your opposite shoulders (just like the start of a front squat). Make sure you arms stay parallel to the ground throughout the whole exercise. This will ensure your knees do not go past your toes, which will help keep stress off of your knees.
    2. Squat down to 90 degrees.
    3. Jump AS HIGH AS YOU CAN. This is the most important part. Even if you just jump "high," you will not reap the benefits of this exercise. If the height you can jump decreases throughout the set that is fine, as long as you continue to jump as high as you can for each rep.
    4. When you land, catch yourself back at the 90 degree point.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

It is almost important that you DO NOT reset after each jump. Catching yourself at 90 degrees will really put your quads to work. While these may seem like a piece of cake, try doing a set of 30. If you can easily do that, make sure you are jumping to your max height on each jump. And if you are doing that, you have earned my respect.

I like to do 3 sets of 15 at the end of my leg workouts to really fry them, but they are a good body-weight warm-up before doing some heavy (FRONT!) squats.

TURKISH GET-UP

Why Turkish? I have no idea. But what I do know is that this is one my favorite exercises. The Turkish Get-Up (TGU) works your core, quads, shoulders, triceps, rhomboids... the list goes on and on. It can be used as a warm up, a means to get a stronger and more well-defined core, stability training, and more.

Here is a great article that describes the benefits of the TGU, plus how to properly preform it:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/turk...p_training.htm

One tip I have from experience with TGUs is that it helps tremendously to try to touch your ear to the shoulder of the arm that is supporting the dumbbell. This helps to ensure you stay directly under the weight.

In my opinion, it is because with all of these exercises you can't use as much weight. When in the gym, it is a great feeling to be able to show everybody how much you can lift in any of the "big three" exercises (back squat, bench press, deadlift). So to do an exercise not many people how seen doesn't relay how strong you are.

There is also the added fact that because these aren't widely used, they don't get the exposure as the "big three." Many people new to working out will only copy what they see, hence they will not be doing these underused exercises.

In regards to the pullup, I believe it is because many people can't do one. I can't tell you how many people I have seen with the ability to move a great deal more weight than me on every exercise fail to do a pullup. And if they can do one, there is a fat chance they can do a set of 10 with good form. I think people are scared to look weak in front of others, so they never work on increasing their numbers. This article by Charles Poliquin is a great read for increasing your pullup numbers:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles4.htm

How do these exercises compare to the more "mainstream" exercises?

I use all of these as main components in my routine. I find them all to have great advantages to the more commonly known forms of the exercise. As I mentioned before, I use the front squat because I have back pain and get the added bonus of core work, the drag curl because it incorporates my forearms less, and the power snatch because I feel it adds more than the power clean (thought I still use power cleans).

While a routine would certainly be fine without these, I think people should try to incorporate a few of these into their current routines for a few weeks and see if they get or see the same benefits as I do.
    Last edited by wtfmate08; 03-27-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    Current Stack:
    Torrent - Green Apple Avalanche and Cherry Berry Blast
    Ultra Iso-Whey - Chocolate Shake

steveironpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steveironpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steveironpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

steveironpump

There are a lot of good exercises out there that many people never incorporate into their routines. Mostly this is because the average person will only try things that they see others doing and probably won't experiment. There are also many exercises that are completely overrated and overused at the same time. For our purposes, I want to also break this down into two categories of exercises: exercises for athletes and exercises for bodybuilding or general fitness.

First of all, here is a list of overused and overrated exercises:

FOR THE ATHLETE:

Continuous sprints - it seems that in every sport, the coaches make you run and run and run until you feel sick to your stomach. However, this type of conditioning is usually only good for sports in which continuous sprinting actually occurs like basketball or soccer. It does nothing for an athlete involved in sports like football, volleyball, or baseball. Running continuous sprints is also far from the best way to build raw speed.

Power Cleans - the power clean is one of the dumbest inventions of all time for athletes. Supposedly, it is supposed to help with explosiveness by activating fast-twitch muscle fibers. However, the movement doesn't isolate any particular muscle group and usually ends up working the traps more than anything. Strong traps do not make bad athletes into good athletes.

FOR BODYBUILDING AND GENERAL FITNESS:

Bench Press - the bench press is completely overrated. I have witnessed way too many shoulder injuries because of this exercise. It does a poor job of isolating the chest and puts you at high risk for injury. There are better ways to build a huge chest.

Dumbbell Biceps Curls - I wouldn't call these overrated, but I would definitely call them overused. For many people, this is the only biceps exercise that they will every use, which is also why most people don't have big biceps.

Lat Pulls - This is a big one that irritates me. Everyone is always lat pulling and lat pulling and lat pulling their little hearts out, but there's a point where it flat-out doesn't do anything for you. Just about everyone does it wrong, and everyone seems to think that it is going to give you wide lats when the reality is that it is an exercise for the inner back.

Now that we've addressed some of the most overrated and overused exercises, here are some of the most underrated and underused exercises:

FOR THE ATHLETE:

Run Hills - It is pretty self-explanatory. Run up a hill as fast as you can. It is a great exercise for building speed and explosiveness because it forces you to drive your knees. It is also great for building good running form.

Resistance sprints - Basically, this is a short sprint with dead weight attached to you. You can put a rope around your waist and have someone drag behind you, or you can buy a harness with a rope attached and you can attach a 45 lb plate to the rope. Again, this forces you to drive your legs and is great for building speed and explosiveness. Many professional athletes use this exercise and the previous exercise to build raw speed and quickness.

Squat Jumps - This is a pretty simple exercise. All you do is squat down and jump as high as you possibly can. Just about every athlete that can jump through the roof or that can hit really hard will do something like this. This exercise basically accomplishes what the power clean is "supposed" to do. I figured this one out by seeing what Baron Davis and Lebron James include in their workouts. This single exercise allowed me to be an all-conference middle linebacker and offensive lineman at 178 lbs while I was in high school. I could even dunk a basketball. It's all about building explosive power.

FOR BODYBUILDING AND GENERAL FITNESS:

Cable Crunches - This is probably one of the best abdominal exercises out there, yet very few people do it.

Decline Bench Press - The decline bench will help develop the lower sweep of your chest, which really brings definition to the chest area. It's a little bit of an awkward movement, which is why most people shy away from it.

The next few exercises that I am going to list are rarely used because these are the exercises that separate the men from the boys. Ironically, they are the most effective exercises for building big legs and a huge back.

1) Dead Lifts - best lower back exercise out there
    2) Parallel Squats - best exercise for the quads (must get to parallel or it loses its effectiveness)
    3) Hack Squats - help thicken out the lower part of the quad
    4) Romanian Dead Lifts - the best hamstring exercise
    5) T-Bar Rows - one of the best for building a huge back
    6) Barbell Rows - also one of the best for building a huge back
    7) Chin-Ups - Work very well to build the inner back

The main difference between an effective exercise and an ineffective exercise is an exercise's ability to isolate the targeted muscle or muscles, and its ability to cause the right type of stimulation. Most mainstream exercises don't accomplish the intended result because they do not properly isolate the intended muscle group while also providing the right kind of stimulation. This can be due to bad form, the exercise itself, or the wrong amount of repetitions and sets of a given exercise.

The underlying reason for why the exercises that I just listed are not commonly used is a combination of ignorance and intolerance for misery. People either don't know what to do or they simply don't like feeling like garbage after a workout. Most people are just trying to stay in shape and they want to feel good while they are working out. Throwing a bunch of weight on a squat rack is never going to make anyone's body feel good, which is why the average person will probably not do that. I honestly can't blame them.

BONUS: In my routine, I incorporate a number of underused exercises. In fact, the majority of exercises that I do are uncommon to everyone else around me. It is also the same reason why I have gotten very good results in a short period of time.
    Last edited by steveironpump; 03-29-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: q mrks

TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Part I

There are an uncountable number of exercises, however, there are the same few exercises that everyone uses in their workouts.

For convenience, I shall categorize the exercises by the bodypart that is being worked by the movement in question. Although some of these exercises will certainly be new to you, please forgive the inclusion of any maneuvers that seem common to you. I accept no credit for the creation of the following movements - the majority of them come from magazines, websites, or my fellow trainees.

Chest

Around the Worlds
    Motion: The following description comes from the bodybuilding.com exercise database:
    "Grab two dumbbells and sit on a bench. Now put the dumbbells face up towards the ceiling on your upper thighs while keeping your elbows slightly bent. Now move the barbells, not up, but around as if you are drawing an angel in the snow. Bring them behind your head so that they touch each other and return to the original position."

I love this movement because of the continuous tension experienced by all areas of the pecs - at the top of the range of motion the upper chest is involved, at the bottom it's the lower chest, etc. This movement produces a great pump & burn in the chest, but unfortunately it puts a strain on the shoulders, so use caution.

Reps / Sets: Don't overuse this exercise to avoid unnecessary shoulder wear and tear - keep your rep/set range to 8-10 reps for 3-4 sets.

Weight: You should be able to complete this motion with a weight slightly less than a weight you can flye for 10 reps.

Standing One-arm Dumbbell Flye
    Motion: Stand upright with your right side about six inches from a vertical pole and your left hand holding a dumbbell at your side. Take hold of the pole with your right hand and lean to your left until your right arm is straight. Holding the weight at a 45-degree angle to your body, bring it in a diagonal, upward line to the right (keeping both arms only slightly bent or perfectly straight). Flex your pecs at the peak before lowering the weight to starting position. Repeat with the other side.

Reps / Sets: This movement is a great workout finisher because of the pump potential. Aim for 4-6 sets of 12+ reps.

Weight: Choose a light weight for this exercise - you're going for pump more than strength with this maneuver.

Back

Typewriters
    Motion: The "typewriter" movement is an offspring of the pull up created for rock-climbers. On a pull-up bar, take a shoulder-width overhand grip and pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar. Immediately "shift" to the right so that your left arm is extended and your right hand is near your right ear. Hold this position for a couple seconds and then "shift" to your left side and repeat until your chin drops below the bar.

Reps / Sets: Go to failure (chin below the bar) for 5+ sets.

Weight: Kudos to you if you can pump out a good number of reps with your bodyweight, but due to the difficulty of this exercise, don't be ashamed to use a exercise band until your strength and endurance builds.

Uneven Pull-ups
    Motion: Grasp a pull-up bar with your right hand in an overhand grip. Loop a towel around the other side of the bar so that the end hangs about a foot from the bar and grab onto it (close to the top at first) with your left hand. Proceed to use both hands to pull your body up until your chin is over the bar. Repeat for reps and switch sides. This movement is great for targeting each lat individually.

Reps / Sets: Go to failure for 3-5 sets.

Weight: Bodyweight is sufficient for this exercise (if you can't pull your self up then work on your normal pull-up strength first). As you become stronger with this movement, lower the hand holding the towel inch by inch until you're at the end of the towel. After you become strong enough to rep your bodyweight with your hand at the end of the towel, you should be able to perform a one-handed pull-up!

Cross-Body Cable Row
    Motion: Stand with your left side about a foot from a low pulley with a D-handle attached. Bend at the waist about 45 degrees and slightly bend your knees. Cross your right arm across your body, grasp the handle, and pull the handle across your body by squeezing your right shoulder blade towards the left. Slowly return the weight to its starting place. Concentrate on squeezing your lats throughout the entire movement. Repeat for the other side.

Reps / Sets: This exercise is a great finishing pump exercise, so aim for about 4 sets of 12-15 reps.

Weight: Don't use too much weight; just enough to get blood flowing to your back. Individual weights will vary greatly.

Biceps

Behind-the-back Smith Machine Drag Curl
    Motion: Stand with your back to a smith machine bar that is racked about knee height. Grab the bar with your palms facing towards you, and "drag" the bar up your back by squeezing your biceps and letting your elbows push backwards. Your range of motion isn't huge for this exercise - the bar should stop just above your butt. Flex your biceps at the top and lower the bar slowly.

Reps / Sets: This exercise is another amazing pump movement. I?ve done sets of up to 50 reps with this exercise, but 3 sets of 12-15 reps would be fine.

Weight: About 70% of the weight you curl for 10 reps.

Rope Hammer Curl
    Motion: The following description comes from the bodybuilding.com exercise database: "Attach a rope attachment to a low pulley. Stand face forwards and about 12 inches away from the machine. Grasp the rope with a palms-in grip and stand straight up. Put your elbows at your side and KEEP them there during the entire movement. Your elbows should not move. Pull your arms up until your biceps touch your forearms, keeping your palms in a facing in position. Slowly return to the starting position and repeat."

Reps / Sets: This exercise lends itself to lower reps; about 4 sets of 6-8 reps is ideal.

Weight: Try to lift about 10 pounds more than you normally hammer curl for 10 reps (if you add the weights of each dumbbell together).

One-arm Barbell Curl
    This movement is great because of all the extra stabilizer muscles that are required in its execution compared to a dumbbell curl.

Motion: Grasp a barbell in one hand with a palm-up grip. Proceed to squeeze your bicep to bring the barbell up to shoulder level (without letting your elbows flare outwards) and then slowly let the bar down.

Reps / Sets: This movement is awesome for strength and/or size, so try for 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps.

Weight: The barbell itself might be hard for some of you. Try for about 80% of what you normally curl for your desired rep range (you'll be surprised by this move?s difficulty).

Triceps

Lying Triceps Extension Across Face
    Motion: Hold 2 dumbbells above your chest while lying on a flat bench, like you are at the top of a dumbbell chest press. Position your arms at approximately 30-degree angles to your body. Bend your arm at the elbow until the dumbbells are about an inch off your chest, then explode them upward to the starting position, flexing your triceps at the top.

Reps / Sets: You won't feel your muscles working for the first few reps - the extreme burn comes at the end of your set. The constricted nature of this movement restricts blood flow to the triceps, facilitating lactic acid production. As such, you'll be hard pressed to complete more than 12 reps. Aim for 8-12 reps for 3 sets.

Weight: The same weight that you use for your one-arm standing triceps extensions should work well for this movement.

Behind-the-back Press-down
    Motion: Stand with your back facing a lat pull-down station (or a high pulley station with a wide bar attachment). Pull the bar to shoulder height and grab it with your hands spaced about shoulder width apart (both palms-in and palms-out grips work). Press the bar down to just below your butt, flex your triceps intensely, and then slowly return to the top of the movement. Don't let your shoulders move nor your elbows flare outwards for the duration of the movement.

Reps / Sets: This exercise is awesome for both strength and size; shoot for 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps.

Weight: You can go extremely heavy with this weight (after all, it is similar to parallel bar dips). Try to press a little less than your bodyweight.

Shoulders

Lying Row
    Motion: Lie on your back on a seated row station with a long straight-bar attachment. Both wide and narrow grips work for this movement. Grasp the bar palms-down and pull it to your chin. Hold it at peak contraction while flexing your delts, and then lower it slowly in control.

Reps / Sets: Standard; 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets.

Weight: Since this movement isolates the deltoid muscles more than its cousin, the upright row, try for about 80% of what you lift on that exercise.

High/Low Cable X
    Motion: Stand facing a double pulley station, about 6 inches back from the line of the pulleys. Grasp the end of each pulley (high or low) and cross them either up or down so that they form the letter "X" in front of your face. Make sure that your arms are straight throughout the movement and end in line with your body. Slowly let the cables return to their starting positions. I find it best if I do this exercise without handles, but D handles will work fine.

Reps / Sets: You can get a great rear delt pump with high reps for a few sets; go for 3 or 4 sets, 12+ repetitions each.

Weight: You should be able to use a slightly greater weight than you would normally use for bent-over lateral raises.
    Last edited by TwinIam; 03-30-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Format

TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10) TwinIam is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Part II

Legs

One-legged Squat
    While the Smith Machine version of this movement is practiced often, the free weight version is seen less frequently. The free weight version requires much more balance and recruits a virtual army of stabilizer muscles.

Motion: Stand on one leg and slowly bend at the waist and knee until you reach a deep squat position. It's alright if you can't make it all the way down to "glutes on hams" - just focus on going as low as you can comfortably go.

Reps / Sets: Stick to low reps for this very difficult movement: 5-8 reps for 4 or 5 sets.

Weight: The balance required for the execution of this exercise may have some people struggling to squat just their bodyweight. That's fine, but the bar adds a whole new level of difficulty. Don't expect to even near your normal squat weight for this move.

?Jump? Leg Presses
    A variation of the jump squat, just harder and at a different angle. A good power exercise.

Motion: Perform a basic leg press, but explode to the top with more force so that the platform leaves your feet. Don?t lock out at the top, as that could hurt your knees. Also, DON'T KEEP YOUR LEGS STRAIGHT WHEN YOU CATCH THE WEIGHT! Buckle your legs and absorb the weight, or the shock of the weight hitting you could cause some serious problems.

Reps / Sets: Since this exercise should be performed for its power-increasing benefits, crank out 5 or more sets of 3-5 explosive reps.

Weight: It depends on how far you want the platform to soar from your feet, but about a third of your normal leg press weight for 10 reps should be okay.

Abs

Exercise Ball Roll-ins
    Motion: Start in pushup position with your knees on an exercise ball. Clench your lower abs to roll your shins up the ball while simultaneously pushing your butt up into the air. Roll your shins back, careful not to bounce for momentum at any time during the movement.

Reps / Sets: High reps for this one: 3 sets of 15+.

Weight: Unless you want to go for a lower rep range (in which case you would need a weight vest), bodyweight should be fine.

Weighted Reverse Crunch
    Motion: Lie on your back, feet on the floor, knees up, with your feet attached in some way to a low pulley (I use a neck attachment and loop my feet through, but whatever you can find that gets the job done will do fine). Keeping the bend in your knees at about 90 degrees, pull your legs as far up as you can. Lower the weight without letting it touch the weight stack and repeat.

Reps / Sets: 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets.

Weight: There really isn?t a valid reference point for the weight on this exercise. Just experiment and see what works for you.

These exercises remain obscure for three primary reasons: either they are awkward to perform (one-legged squat), they are embarrassing to execute (exercise ball roll-ins, which require you to stick your butt up in the air), or they are just plain hard (typewriters). The use of mainstream exercises is perpetuated by trainees who refuse to research new ways of training, new ways to progress towards their goals. Unfortunately, the search for variety in one's training is the key to growth. Bodybuilding isn't a comfort sport; people need to expand their horizons and use new exercises to breach their comfort zone.

Some of the aforementioned exercises are merely refining maneuvers, but others are advanced techniques that are comparable to (or better than) the mainstream exercises from which they are derived. For example, cross-body cable rows merely expand on the traditional row by hitting the muscle fibers in a different way. On the other hand, one-legged squats are significantly harder than regular squats and require a much greater level of skill and recruitment of stabilizing muscle fibers. Don?t switch out all your foundational exercises for these new variations and don't overuse them either - unchanging routines stunt growth. Rather, aim to switch up your workouts every once in a while with these movements rather than rely on them every training session.

BONUS QUESTION: How often do you incorporate these exercises into your workout routine?

I don't use these exercises any more frequently than I utilize more common exercises. I switch up my routine every workout, trying to not favor any exercises over others. The exercises that I enjoy the most out of those listed above would have to be the behind-the-back drag curl and exercise ball roll-in - I use the latter to target my stubborn lower abs frequently.
    Last edited by TwinIam; 03-30-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Format

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)

Exercises You Never Heard of It and Probably Should Try

People stay doing the same exercises over and over again. Though that keeps things easy and not difficult, it is not always the most effective if you want to continue to get stronger. Why not put some spice into your workouts by changing it up for the better. Changing up your routine every month is a great way to add the following exercises into your routine.

1)PowerClean
    How to do It:

What's a Power Clean? The Clean starts in a position similar as for the Deadlift. Clean the floor from the barbell by pulling it on your shoulders. Catch the bar in the Front Squat starting position. Variations of the Clean:

Squat Clean. You Squat under the weight. Hips go below parallel. You can lift more weight as you don't have to pull the bar as high.
    Split Clean. Cleans done with a split, like Lunges. Popular before 1960. Improves single-leg strength & stability and hip mobility.
    Hang Clean. Cleans with the bar starting around knee level instead of on the floor. The bar hangs. Powerful movement.
    Power Clean. Hips don?t come lower than parallel. You need to pull the bar higher & accelerate as much as you can.

Source: http://stronglifts.com/the-ultimate-...-power-cleans/

Why Do It?
    Personally, I like doing powercleans for multiple reasons. They target the shoulders and help build explosive power. It is like a plyometric exercise and also helps build massive traps.

2)Pushups
    How to Do it

Tips: Kneel down on the floor and place your hands flat on the floor and slightly wider than shoulder width apart. With your shoulders directly over your hands, straighten your arms. Move your feet back, placing your toes on the floor, so that your knees are off the floor and your legs are straight. At this point, your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles. Your body should remain straight throughout this exercise. Keep your head and neck in line with your body so that your are looking down toward the floor. This is the starting position. In a controlled fashion, lower your body down toward the floor, bending your elbows, until your body is nearly touching the floor. Now, push your body up away from the floor, straightening your arms, until you have returned to the starting position. If you need to reduce the intensity of this exercise you can perform the pushup from your knees.

Source:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...p?Name=Pushups

Why Do It?
    The question is why not? When you don't have weights, you should put this powerhouse exercise into your routine. It is a proven upper body movement with so many variations that you should be excited. My chest gets worked, sholders, and my core gets worked too.

3) One-Leg Squats
    How to Do it

Stand on a step or small platform.
    Lift left leg out in front of step (or behind you!) and bend the right leg while bring the hips back behind you.
    Push into the heel to come up and repeat all reps on the same leg before switching sides.
    Perform 1 to 3 sets of 10 to 16 reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Source: http://exercise.about.com/od/exercis...texercis_7.htm

Why Do It?
    Many people don?t know about the great thing of training with one-leg squats. It can help balance out strength imbalances as well as build explosive power and flexibility. One-leg squats are difficult, but they sure had me dunking easier.

4)Jump Rope
    How to do It
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing4.htm

This is a great article on jumping rope and most people have jumped rope in their life.

Why Do it?
    Jumping rope gets your heart pumping blood and is quite an explosive power exercise. I remember in elementary and middle school when I use to jump rope in physical education and it was a great cardio exercise. You see boxers and MMA fighters jumping rope for conditioning.

5)Jumping Jacks
    How to Do It

Source:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/crea...ht_workout.htm

Why Do It
    Like pushups, jumping jacks are pretty easy to do, but they are great for warming up. Jumping Jacks is a total body workout as your hands and legs move in synchronization while your core remains tight.

I have not ever heard of These

Kettlebells-a handle with a big weighted ball on it.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin24.htm

Why Do It?
    Kettlebells work your stabilizer muscles in a way similar to dumbbells. The thing about kettlebells is that its not as easy to learn to do like barbells and dumbbells. They would not replace your other exercises, but its variety that you need for growth. You can perform multiple exercises like dumbbells with kettlebells.

These exercises are often seen as easy or too hard. Pushups are often seen as easy when you are fit, but people fail to realize that you can do so many different variations. You have diamond pushups, elevated pushups, one-leg, and so on. The ideas are limitless. On the other hand, one-leg squats are very difficult, so people tend to avoid them. Once you do thing and feel the results later, you will be happy with yourself. Variety is the spice of life.

How do these exercises compare to the more mainstream exercises?
    These exercises are forgotten by many people and it's a shame. They are very effective for beginners and also advanced fitness people should use them too. They keep your body guessing which is the goal to continue muscle growth and to prevent a plateau.

When my workouts start to get dull and unproductive, I put these exercises into my workout to put some pep into my step. This is usually once a month and at the end of the workout I feel a lot better.
    Last edited by History in Effect; 03-30-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Go to any gym in the world, and you'll probably see a very similar scene - a lot of bench pressing, a lot of curls, a lot of back squats. Despite the countless different movements the body is capable of making, most fitness enthusiasts tend to repeat the same ones, adhering to a body of 'preferred' lifts. For some reason, some lifters seem to be afraid of thinking outside the box and using unique or less common exercises. In fact, you may even get some odd looks or comments if you start doing a relatively unknown lift. Unfortunately, sticking to the same lifts limits the effectiveness of your workouts. Different movements can challenge your muscles and battle your body's tendency to adapt.

There are so many great exercises that most lifters sadly may never use. While some are merely variations of existing lifts, some are quite unique.

Rack Chins - Place an unweighted bar (one you would usually use for deadlifts) horizontally onto a squat rack at about chest level. Next, find an adjustable bench and set the chairback so it is on an incline. Place a dumbbell or plate on your stomach, and hang from the bar with your feet atop the chair and pull yourself up with your arms. (Demo).
    - This is a great exercise for your shoulders, biceps and back, particularly your lats. The line of pull is one not easily accessed by other lifts, and the barbell/plate allows you to adjust resistance easily; you don't have to just rely on body weight, and you can track progress easily. This is one of my favorites, rarely do I have a workout that does not include this move.

The Gunthar Row - Lie on back extension bench, with dumbbells in each hand. Lower body to starting position for a back extension, and slowly lower torso up until back is straight. While maintaining this position, perform a rowing motion with each arm. This can also be performed with a barbell. (Demo).
    - This is basically a combination of a back extension and a row, but I think this is greater than the sum of its parts. You'll be working your back extra hard with the added weight, and you'll have to keep your back stabilized while your performing the rows. It's a unique challenge because you're probably not used to performing rows without your feet on the ground.

Burpees - Start by squatting down with hands on floor. Next, kick feet back and lower your self into a pushup. While pushing up, bring your feet back under you and then leap as high as possible. Repeat. (Demo).
    - This move is a staple of Ross Enamait's routines, most of which are aimed towards fighters. While similar to push ups and squats, this adds an explosive element, which most traditional gym moves do not have. It works your lower and upper body simultaneously while testing your endurance and cardiovascular fitness. If you could only perform one exercise on a given day, I'd recommend this one.

Clean and Press - Squat down with bar in front of you, feet shoulder-width apart. In a fluid motion, extend knees to bring bar up and pull with arms, shrugging shoulders at top. Rotate elbows under bar to "catch" it, and then push it above your head. (Demo).
    - Like the Burpee, this lift involves an explosive movement. It also works practically every muscle group - shoulders, triceps, biceps, back, legs and abdominals. It is relatively easy to perform once you get used to it, but it can be exhausting. However, that means you know you're getting a lot out of it - it should be a staple if efficiency is your goal. For an added challenge, I like to perform an overhead squat after the "press" portion.

Cable Pullover - Lie on a declined bench, with head on end near cable attachment. Reach back and grasp rope attachment to begin, then pull over chest while keeping arms as straight as possible. Extend as far as you can, keeping abs tight throughout. Bring back slowly. (Demo).
    - This is another lift that challenges your muscles by attacking a line of pull that is seldom touched by other exercises. The unique angle is a great change from traditional shoulder lifts and also provides a massive range of motion. The Pullover is a highly effective compound movement.

Good Morning - Place a barbell behind your shoulders while standing upright. Keep your back straight and bend at the waist slowly, stopping when your torso is parallel to the floor. Return to starting position slowly. (Demo).
    - It seems that the preference of body part splits sometimes leaves the back somewhat neglected. The Good Morning changes that, working your entire posterior chain, from your back down to your legs. While concentrating on keeping my back straight, I like to squeeze my abdominals - you'd be surprised how much you can feel this in your core, too. This strengthens your lower back, which is a bigger part of overall strength than people realize.

YTWLI - Lie facedown on an inclined bench, arms hanging at sides with thumbs pointing up. From this position, bring arms up to form the following letters, five times each, with your body: Y (hands at 10 and 2 o'clock positions), T (hands straight out to sides), W (bend elbows 90 degrees and raise arms), L (elbows bent, raise arms with forearms pointing straight up), I (press hands overhead). (Demo).
    - A word of warning: this will fry your shoulders. This is a great warm-up even unweighted, and is absolutely deadly with weights. Be prepared to use much lighter weights than you're used to, as this is a challenge of your strength and muscular endurance. It's extremely effective, though, because it moves you through every conceivable plane of motion. Once your traps are burning, you'll hate this, but when you realize how much it does for your body, you'll love it.

Facepulls - Stand with arms extended in front of high cable attachment. Grasp rope in each hand and pull it toward your face, squeezing shoulder blades together and keeping elbows high. (Demo).
    - This is an odd-looking but effective exercise for your arms, back and shoulders. It can be used in place of traditional rows. You can feel it in your delts and your upper back; be careful to to pull too quickly or you'll feel it in your face as well.

Reverse Curls - Stand gripping dumbbells or barbell with palms facing down. Press elbows firmly to side and lift until arms are fully flexed.(Demo).
    - You may be thinking that these are basically just regular curls, so why bother use them? Why not? The reverse curl is every bit as effective, and actually targets your forearm more than traditional curls. This is key because forearms are often neglected and can make a big difference in overall strength and grip.

Barbell Handstand Pushups - Set up a few inches away from a wall with your hands on barbells. Kick up into a handstand position against the wall. Carefully lower yourself toward the floor, and then back up again. (Demo).
    - You may get some curious looks while performing this, but it will pay off in strength gains. This provides a challenge for your upper back and shoulders, and the usage of the barbells allows you to reach a fuller range of motion than traditional handstand pushups. In addition, it keeps your wrists in a more comfortable, and less injury-prone, position.

Zercher Squats - Set a weighted bar on the floor and deadlift it to your lower quads. Balance the bar on your quads and slide your arms under it up until the elbow. When it is secure, stand up. Reverse the move and then repeat. (Demo).
    - To be honest, this isn't the most comfortable exercise. But a little pain goes a long way, as the Zercher does wonders for your back and hamstring. It demands a lot from your body, just like a regular squat or deadlift, but the way the bar is gripped is a more accurate reputation of how you'd carry a large object outside of the gym. Having an impressive bench is one thing, but having strength in real-life situations is pretty important too.
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

PhD in Broscience, 2009 soundcheck129's Avatar
    soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) soundcheck129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Part II

Considering how effective these exercises are, it's somewhat mystifying as to why they aren't used more frequently. However, one reason that may explain it is peer-pressure. When a beginner walks into the gym for the first time, he's more likely to immitate what others are doing than to try something new. The popularity of more 'traditional' lifts such as squats, curls and bench presses has created a mindset that if you aren't using these exercises, you're doing something wrong. As a result, people focus on the popular lifts and don't look for alternatives. And if curls and presses are working, people are reluctant to try something different.

The underused exercises suffer from a vicious cycle of unpopularity. Because they are rarely used, these lifts rarely get attention from magazines, websites, and movies, so people don't ever see them in use. Thus, they become more and more obscure. A lot of times when I'll do one of these exercises, people look at me as if I'm an alien; that's not treatment that really encourages you to continue what you're doing.

Another reason for underuse is that some of these lifts require more time or space to set up and perform. Burpees, for example, require a lot of space, and most weight rooms don't have large open areas. The barbell handstand pushups require open wallspace, which can be hard to come by. As for Zercher squats, some may consider the initial steps just a waste of time when they could be doing traditional squats. Rack chins also require you to use both a squat rack and a bench, which can be asking a lot at smaller gyms where there is not a lot of equipment to go around.

Perhaps most significantly, a lot of these lifts are difficult. New and different exercises that demand a lot of muscular coordination are not conducive to 'ego lifting,' a plague that convinces some lifters that the more weight you push, the better it is, regardless of how much you're actually using your muscles. When I first tried the YTWLI, for example, it was a very humbling experience. No one wants to be the guy struggling with 5lb dumbbells. Cable Pullovers can be very challenging as well, and it's embarrassing if you have to stop a set at three reps because you're not used to working certain muscles all at the same time.

Lastly, some lifters tend to focus on working only muscles they can flex, and tend to miss the big picture of overall strength. Having a beach body is nice, but if you don't have the complete strength to back it up, it seems a bit pointless to me. Your back, shoulders and legs may not be the areas that eyes tend to gravitate toward, but they are vital parts of stabilization and overall strength in functional movements and sports.

While they are not as popular as the mainstream exercises, these relatively unknown lifts are every bit effective, if not more. For example, Burpees are far more effective than regular push-ups, as they combine that motion with a jump-squat and a significant cardio element. The Clean and Press improves explosive strength, which is important for sports, and also works a large number of muscles simultaneously. Increasing the range of motion is a nice advantage to the Cable Pullover and the Dumbbell Handstand Pushups. Meanwhile, Good Mornings can challenge your core while they work your hamstrings - something that simple leg curls aren't going to do. With that said, the more mainstream exercises are great too, or else they probably wouldn't be so widely used. However, the exercises listed above shouldn't be underestimated just because they aren't as popular.

I'm a big proponent of these apparently forgotten exercises, so I make sure to incorporate a few into every workout. I still recognize the effectiveness of the mainstream exercises, but I love the extra challenge that things like YTWLI provide. It's also cool to see others catch on to an interesting lift and watch as it spreads around the gym. I like to incorporate a lot of different lifts because I think the body progresses best with variety. I always do Rack Chins instead of seated rows because I like the unique angle. Also, a lot of days I'm pressed for time, so the Clean and Press is a great way to work my shoulders, legs, back and arms all at once, instead of isolating each group. Burpees are another great time saver - I'm not a fan of cardio, but I need to do it to stay in shape for sports, so I'll pound out a few sets and work up a sweat that would have taken hours on the bike. There's no need to remove all of the mainstream exercises from your routine, but recognizing that there are effective alternatives is a good idea because it keeps things fresh.
    ALLMAX Nutrition Rep

Free H:VOL! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165477791

Certified Personal Trainer - PM for Training and Nutrition

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX Nutrition. Consult a medical professional whenever your health is concerned.

BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BTSolutions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Push Ups and Pull Ups

WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50) WRC_619 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    TOPIC: What Are The Best Unheard-of/Underused Exercises?

For the week of: 3/24 - 3/30
    Monday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

I believe that some of the best exercises that are unheard of/unused are bodyweight exercises. It seems that outside of the military, and outside of basic training for those of us in the military, bodyweight exercises get cast aside for the more sexy exercises. These days, no one really cares how many push ups you can do. It is more about how much you can bench.

Many of my favorite comic book heroes do calisthenics for their exercise. Calisthenics seem to be under rated because they are so simple. All they require are time and space. These exercises have turned high school graduates into military men for decades. There is a reason Spec Ops programs measure their candidates using calisthenics. Any a**hole can find a corner and practice his push ups and sit ups.

Bodyweight exercises are frequently underrated and underused simply because the bragging rights that go with them seem miniscule compared to bench press and squat numbers. The "Big Three" of push ups, pull ups, and sit ups seem to be the most underused and underrated of exercises. Yet, if you want to be a SEAL or a Green Beret, you have to be able to perform these three exercises to perfection. Additionally, these three exercises, when properly performed will lead to a balance of strength and agility that is often overlooked by those trying to brag the loudest at the gym.
    The best thing about dying during PT is that you die strong!

WV, CA, GU, and WA for my stomping grounds. WV is the original place I call home.

USN 99-present
    Southern Watch
    Noble Eagle
    OEF
    OIF
    Snipe for life!