dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Shoulder Strain? How long does it last?

Hey,

I think I overdid it last week on the shoulder presses. I used really bad form to get the left DB up in the air on the last few reps of the last set..

It did not really hurt at the time, but now their is quite an ache just moving it around. When exercising my shoulder on certain angles it is also extremely weak.

DB Incline Chest Presses are hard. Dumbell fly's are harder and Side Lateral Raises are almost impossible with any weight on them.

Interestingly enough normal Bicep curls and front lateral raises are not effected at all...

I am guessing this may be the dreaded rotator cuff that everyone talks about. However, it is not that painful, so I think it is just a strain...

Question finally coming.....

What should I do now? Just do light exercise where I can or just leave it some time to recover and focus on the other muscle groups.

I am not asking for a doctor's answer, I am just wondering what some of the rest of you did in the same circumstances and what made it better or worse...? Also any idea on how long these things take to go away..?

Thanks for your time...

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i hurt mine on a Hammer Strenth machine once....it took a good 6 months for mine to heal......hope yours ain;t that bad
    Land of Honalee

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would let it rest, do other things that did not involve it.
    Bodybuilders are the only people I know who will consume the worst tasting stuff because they know "it's good for them"...

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dmtc73 View Post
    Hey,

I think I overdid it last week on the shoulder presses. I used really bad form to get the left DB up in the air on the last few reps of the last set..

It did not really hurt at the time, but now their is quite an ache just moving it around. When exercising my shoulder on certain angles it is also extremely weak.

DB Incline Chest Presses are hard. Dumbell fly's are harder and Side Lateral Raises are almost impossible with any weight on them.

Interestingly enough normal Bicep curls and front lateral raises are not effected at all...

I am guessing this may be the dreaded rotator cuff that everyone talks about. However, it is not that painful, so I think it is just a strain...

Question finally coming.....

What should I do now? Just do light exercise where I can or just leave it some time to recover and focus on the other muscle groups.

I am not asking for a doctor's answer, I am just wondering what some of the rest of you did in the same circumstances and what made it better or worse...? Also any idea on how long these things take to go away..?

Thanks for your time...
    Find out what it is first , different issues require different intervention..

If it is the common rotator cuff a little therapy which means several exercises with very light weight and high reps (google it or on you tube) will help you heal faster..
    Do not stop working out.. just be careful and alternate pressing exercises and pullling from different angles.. for example bench press and standing press
    chinups and rows etc..
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masel99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always been a fan of ice. I would try heating it a little before you do work out. Also be careful, if you tweak it good, you'll be out for a long time. That is not fun.

touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000) touchofevil04 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I fudged my right shoulder up three weeks ago doin overhead db triceps. Don't know the actual name of it but it's the one you grab the db with both hands and lower behind neck to work the tri's.
    Was doin a 3rd set at 90lbs and on the fourth rep i got a sharp pain in my shoulder.
    Been hurting since. Front raises hurt bad always a sharp pain. Basically anything if i lift my arm out it's painful.Sucks.

dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dmtc73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thanks for all the replies

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I see someone else has just posted something similar as well.

I will get it checked out when I get back from my holiday. It seems that I can still do light exercises so I shall do that for now...

There are plenty of areas that need improving, so I shall just have to focus more on my legs and forearms..

Cheers
    --
    Journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113888301

Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you dont over work it, the common problem is everyone wants to hit the gym weekly, and they over look long term problems, I had serious shoulder injury about a year ago, thought everything, rotator cuff , ect, ect, I nursed it for weeks, also threw tri-Flex into my daily sups, the pain was so bad I couldnt even bench 135 for one rep! about 6 weeks later I was good to go. Stuff really worked great! wouldnt hurt to give it a try.

~LG33~

bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Liftergym33 View Post
    you dont over work it, the common problem is everyone wants to hit the gym weekly, and they over look long term problems, I had serious shoulder injury about a year ago, thought everything, rotator cuff , ect, ect, I nursed it for weeks, also threw tri-Flex into my daily sups, the pain was so bad I couldnt even bench 135 for one rep! about 6 weeks later I was good to go. Stuff really worked great! wouldnt hurt to give it a try.

~LG33~
    What's this "tri-Flex" you speak of? I strained my RC three days ago, and although I'm getting better and better mobility each day (with the help of pain meds to manage the pain, I can't take any NSAIDs), I'd like to recoup faster if possible.

Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Liftergym33 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bonknhead View Post
    What's this "tri-Flex" you speak of? I strained my RC three days ago, and although I'm getting better and better mobility each day (with the help of pain meds to manage the pain, I can't take any NSAIDs), I'd like to recoup faster if possible.

Tri-Flex has Glucosamine HCL which is the major compound Promotes joint mobility & flexibility, It worked great for me! - Glucosamine HCL also is one of the major building blocks utilized in the body's synthesis of the lubricants and shock absorbing mechanisms necessary to maintain and restore healthy joint performance. Glucosamine HCL supplementation enhances the body's ability to manufacture collagen and proteoglycans, which are essential for rebuilding joints, as well as synovial fluid which lubricate your joints.

bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bonknhead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tri-Flex has Glucosamine HCL which is the major compound Promotes joint mobility & flexibility, It worked great for me! - Glucosamine HCL also is one of the major building blocks utilized in the body's synthesis of the lubricants and shock absorbing mechanisms necessary to maintain and restore healthy joint performance. Glucosamine HCL supplementation enhances the body's ability to manufacture collagen and proteoglycans, which are essential for rebuilding joints, as well as synovial fluid which lubricate your joints.
    Thanks. I'll check into this, but I suspect with Glucosamine HCL, it'll raise my BG levels, but will research to make sure.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's great but the rotator cuff is a muscle or actually, several smaller ones
    Glucosamine is for the joints cartilage not muscles tissue..

To heal rotator cuff injuries there are only two ways.. surgery if the muscle is tore and/or rehab if it's a smaller injury (partial tear,strain etc..)

It's rare to get a full tear from lifting but even with a small injury
    You could be dealing with RC pain for months and even years
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Mine has gone 3 months and counting. Shoulder horn, DMSO and sled work are your friends.
    Author of The Blueprint - Want BIG gains WITHOUT drugs?

Want to get to Gainsville FAST? - Google Synthagen or theblueprintbulletin

My post reflects only my opinion and is in no way considered required practice - in whole or in part. Specific medical advice should be obtained from a licensed health care practitioner PRIOR to beginning ANY new diet, exercise, supplementation or training program.

jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmac66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a right shoulder impingement that acts up just like yours is every few months. The only thing to do is avoid exacerbating movements for a couple weeks, ice it, gentle range of motion and gentle stretching. If two weeks of that doesn't work, you should see your medical provider for a thorough work up and maybe some physical therapy.

The shoulder is intrinsically unstable in order to accomplish all the motions required of it (flexion, extension, internal and external rotation, ABduction and ADduction). That's why it's so common to have an injury. I see many patients with complaints just like yours...the ones who recover well are the ones willing to bite the bullet and avoid activities that make it worse, and this can take quite some time. Find the motions that do not bother it and stay very strict on form.
    "I won't let go
    of that youthful soul
    despite body and mind
    my youth will never die..."

Creed

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    That's great but the rotator cuff is a muscle or actually, several smaller ones
    Glucosamine is for the joints cartilage not muscles tissue..

To heal rotator cuff injuries there are only two ways.. surgery if the muscle is tore and/or rehab if it's a smaller injury (partial tear,strain etc..)

It's rare to get a full tear from lifting but even with a small injury
    You could be dealing with RC pain for months and even years

Your right bro, but its not known if it is his rotor cuff, I was just adding some light on the issue, one can speculate all he wants on what the problem is, unless it gets looked at no one really knows.

any update? how are you feeling?