Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Working out chest and arms every other day

I know some of you only work out a muscle group once a week, and some of you work it out twice.

I think I have a pretty intense routine but a couple days later I am not sore at all and I can complete the same workout with the same intensity.

Should I still give my body another day to rest? Or can I go ahead and work it out every other day?

For example I did chest and arms on Thursday, Saturday, and am considering doing them tomorrow.

Maybe I should up the intensity? My chest routine is like this:

Barbell Bench Press 4 x 8
    DB Flyes 4 x 10
    DB Press 4 x 10
    Elevated Pushups
    Bent Arm Dumbbell Pullover 4 x 10

Also any other chest and arm lifts you could recommend would be appreciated.
    Last edited by scarletngrey; 03-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Just Starting Out/Currently On:

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In for the lawls - 1 star btw.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50) scarletngrey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post
    Thanks for your contribution.

You have nothing better to do than sit on your computer all day and laugh at beginners asking questions?

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CKJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by scarletngrey View Post

You have nothing better to do than sit on your computer all day and laugh at beginners asking questions?
    Pretty much. You may be joking but looking at a couple of thread yea that's what he does.

Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
    Pretty much. You may be joking but looking at a couple of thread yea that's what he does.
    I admit I am a beginner, but I have read a lot in the section searching for answers.

Like I said I know almost everyone works out a body part once or twice a week. I am just starting out and wondering if I can work it out every other day or should I have more rest in between.

Or should I up the intensity?
    Last edited by scarletngrey; 03-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Lol, sitting around watching the last of the Second Round, and laughing at what is clearly a flame bait question that shows you've put a grand total of zero effort into researching this topic.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

Lol, sitting around watching the last of the Second Round, and laughing at what is clearly a flame bait question that shows you've put a grand total of zero effort into researching this topic.
    Ive read a lot of pages in this section. Funny thing is, in a lot of the threads I see you in them doing exactly what you did in this thread.

A clear flame bait question? No I am new to bodybuilding. Obviously there are a ton of different ways to split your workout up, and im asking for ideas and advice regarding how I can best maximize mine.

I am just wondering if I feel like I can work out my chest every other day, if it is alright to do that or better to take more time to rest.

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Pimp Juice 88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No I don't think you should do that. I started lifting like that and noticed very little gains in size and strength and I was gettin weaker. I workout each muscle once a week, arms on its own day. I believe 12-15 sets for big muscles are enough and 8-10 for small ones and I take each set to positive failure and any more than that, then I would over train. Arms get easily over trained because they receive heavy stimulation from chest and back workouts. LESS is MORE!!
    Always do things the hard way because you never learn things in life by doing it the easy way.

I am just wondering if I feel like I can work out my chest every other day, if it is alright to do that or better to take more time to rest.
    How many people do you see recommending 1 day of rest between workouts on the same muscle groups. There's your answer.

How many people do you see recommending 1 day of rest between workouts on the same muscle groups. There's your answer.
    Does that mean my workout is not intense enough?

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

Does that mean my workout is not intense enough?
    Pretty much, imo you need to hit them 6 am, 6 pm every day. Double it up and you'll see some pretty sweet results.

Pretty much, imo you need to hit them 6 am, 6 pm every day. Double it up and you'll see some pretty sweet results.
    I sense the sarcasm.

I mean am I working them hard enough if I feel like I can repeat the workout only 2 days later?

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Glenn Pendlay

tons of olympic lifting coachs

u serious brah?
    I want to touch the butt.

Chasing that 405 Bench msm172021121's Avatar
    msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) msm172021121 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know some of you only work out a muscle group once a week, and some of you work it out twice.

I think I have a pretty intense routine but a couple days later I am not sore at all and I can complete the same workout with the same intensity.

Should I still give my body another day to rest? Or can I go ahead and work it out every other day?

For example I did chest and arms on Thursday, Saturday, and am considering doing them tomorrow.

DB Flyes 4 x 10
    DB Press 4 x 10
    Elevated Pushups

i say if you're not sore work whatever you want, but i wouldnt workout more than 6 days a week, and you'll find it hard to make time for your whole body. there's more to worry about than arms and chest, but if a certain muscle isnt getting sore or staying sore then work it if you want

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    do you work out your back/legs/shoulders at all?

i guess legs aren't necessary(although i'd reccomend them to get bigger all around), but without working out back your shoulders are gonna hate you(too much pushing exercises + no pulling = bad for the shoulder joint + poor posture)
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
    do you work out your back/legs/shoulders at all?

i guess legs aren't necessary(although i'd reccomend them to get bigger all around), but without working out back your shoulders are gonna hate you(too much pushing exercises + no pulling = bad for the shoulder joint + poor posture)
    Eventually I am going to work out my legs but unfortunately I ****ed one of my knees up real bad a couple of years ago and it gives me problems. I need to see my doctor again and try and figure out what I can do for it, whether it be more physical therapy or surgery.

Yeah I work out my back and shoulders, I was just using Chest and arms as an example for this thread.

Optimum 100% Whey
    Controlled Labs GreenMag
    Universal Animal Pak

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Eventually I am going to work out my legs but unfortunately I ****ed one of my knees up real bad a couple of years ago and it gives me problems. I need to see my doctor again and try and figure out what I can do for it, whether it be more physical therapy or surgery.

Yeah I work out my back and shoulders, I was just using Chest and arms as an example for this thread.
    ok, yeah, i completely understand the injury keeping you off of legs(i have a fracture on my spine so i took about 9 months off any type of lift that effects my lower back after my senior year of football, and even during my sr season i only did upper half rep leg press and leg extensions in the weight room for legs).

as for frequency, it's up to you; if you do this routine and see results from it, then there's no problem with it; the biggest problem you'll probably face is bicep soreness interfering with your back workouts, delt soreness interfering with chest workouts, and tricep soreness interfering with shouler workouts. that's where the key flaw in your program lies; while chest and back will see adequate recovery, your arms and front delts will be utilized every day you lift, so if you don't leave days in between
    (say you're doing:
    m-chest/arm
    t-shoulder/back
    w-chest/arm
    t-shoulder/back
    f-chest/arm)
    some of your muscles will be getting hit all 5 days, due to the nature of compound movements, potentially interfering with recovery.

that's not to say you can't gain on the program, i've put on weight on 4 day a week(MTTF) full body before, so it depends on the individual what will positively or negatively affect you.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Warrior18 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I admit I am a beginner, but I have read a lot
    Or should I up the intensity?
    I don't know if you're trolling or dead serious. Either way, if you ARE serious look at this site.
    http://rawgrip.com/Building-Your-House.html

davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I hate tools like this guy right here...Just give the guy some legit advice or ignore the newb threads.

davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) davidix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Anyways I think you might be overtraining. I used to do chest biceps and triceps every other day and it wasnt enough time to rebuild and heal. I noticed minimal results. You have to give yourself about 48+ hours of rest.

Just my opinion from my experience.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

DB Flyes 4 x 10
    DB Press 4 x 10
    Elevated Pushups

Briefly:

That you can do the same workout every other day indicates undertraining, and I suspect it is in the formatting you have (4 x 8). Are you changing the amount of weight done in the 4 x 8, because the ONLY way to get maximum benefit from that would be if you slightly reduce the weight each successive set so that you are using close to maximum effort every set. (you get weaker from set to set is why you have to reduce the weight to keep getting out 8 good reps).

Look into pyramiding for both optimal training benefits as well as having focus on both strength and size.

Straight sets are boring and blah, and so are the results from them.
    Time To Re-Schedule

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Seamless View Post
    Mark Rippetoe
    Bill Starr
    Glenn Pendlay

tons of olympic lifting coachs

u serious brah?
    As far as bodybuilding goes, you don't see people hitting a muscle group every other day. Full Body workout will not net the physique that most bodybuilders are seeking.Also, volume is down in those workouts, to account for the every other day lifting.
    Originally Posted by davidix View Post
    I hate tools like this guy right here...Just give the guy some legit advice or ignore the newb threads.
    I hate tools like this guy right here...Just unbunch your panties, douche your sandy vag, and learn to lighten up.
    Last edited by chazzy1864; 03-23-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

BernieFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BernieFTW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DB Flyes 4 x 10
    DB Press 4 x 10
    Elevated Pushups

I think you should just increase the intensity of the workout for your arms or any other bodypart if you don't feel the pump. You don't necessarily have to feel sore but it works for me as an indicator if i had a good workout or not.

These are some ways to increase the intensity :
    1. Decrease rest time between sets.
    2.Increase overall number of exercise/sets.
    3.Include negative in your routine.
    4.Supersets.
    5.Focus on biceps first in one day then followed by chest for 1 week, in week 2 focus chest then bicep, etc.
    6.Don't always do the same exercise every week try some variation.

It's better to have a good workout in one day rather than 2 or 3 shabby workout within a week.

And i rest for like 1 week after every month for recovery, then when i hit the gym again BAM huge pump (:

Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hottsauce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    doing 1 muscle group every other day wont nessesarily make it grow faster, if anything it is counter productive

remember we (GROW) when we rest, we breakdown muscle when we workout, how do you intend to grow your chest if you break it down every 2nd day?, it is unessesary to work it our every other day

also working out 1 muscle group every other day means you are probably neglecting your other muscle groups, do not neglect your other body parts!

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)

It depends on a lot of things, in my opinion. I don't think there is one right answer. It also depends on your goals. First, you're 19, so you recover much quicker than me. Second, it depends on how much protein you are consuming. If you are consuming plenty of good protein and your muscles feel fine, then yes I would work them every other day. If you are interested in getting huge, then I would follow the advice of guys who are like that. I'm more interested in looking like a gymnast, so I do a lot of bodyweight exercises, and my arms and shoulders seem to recover in one day. I also do not work them to failure either, so that's another difference. I have a stronger interest in cardio-vascular health as well, so that's more important to me than big muscles.
    Bodybuilders are the only people I know who will consume the worst tasting stuff because they know "it's good for them"...

Originally Posted by davidix View Post
    There's plenty of advice given on this topic in this forum from tools like me. Even a 5 second google search would give him the basics. Coming here with that question is like going to a gun store and asking which end the bullets come out.

DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's plenty of advice given on this topic in this forum from tools like me. Even a 5 second google search would give him the basics. Coming here with that question is like going to a gun store and asking which end the bullets come out.
    Agreed. I hate when people just bash posters too but OP was asking for it with this question.

lmao at chest and arms
    NEW Stacking the **** out of Universal/Animal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156518781#post156518781

Shock Therapy/Storm/M-Stak Log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=144048361#post144048361

andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100) andrew.pace is not very well liked. (-100)
    take more of a rest man. try a one body part/day thing for a week or two and see how you feel everyworkout. but up the intensity alot for that one day on each body part.
    it's always good to switch it up a little to maximize muscle confusion!
    "Failure is a Blessing in Disguise"

mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mingo3403 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    5 star *******

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I'm not in the gym with you, but I have to guess that you are not working hard enough. Crushing your muscles with one workout is going to yield better results then two low intensity workouts.

There is no way (granted I'm 42) that I could hit my chest with the same routine two days after doing it. No way.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.