TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TRun18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question on BW Squats

Something I was just thinking about that I am hoping can get answered here:

For those who need to use their arms for balance out infront of their body during BW squats (without falling back) is the falling back bit more of a flexibility issue, a posterior chain strength issue, or both? I'm curious because for me it used to be really hard for me to squat down and keep my balance without my arms out infront of me. Started working on Posterior chain strength and it's easier now. One way that I found to help me keep from falling back when bringing my arms in was REALLLY flexing my glutes and hams.

For those that cannot do BW squats without their arms infront of them, would this be a good drill to do?: Slowly bring the arms in and concentrate on flexing the glutes and hams to stay up?

If anyone understands my question, help is appreciated
    Last edited by TRun18; 03-22-2009 at 03:36 PM.

dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000) dcamnc is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think it's a balance/flexibility/confidence/practice issue. If someone's goal is flatfooted bw squats, the best thing they can do is sit in the "down" position as much as possible, alternated with the actual bw squats. I think most people have the strength to do them, it's the lack of coordination that's messing them up.
    Last edited by dcamnc; 03-22-2009 at 04:33 PM.