anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How long to get thigh definition?

Hi gals, please help me find the patience I need to keep my sanity I'm on the keto diet. My upper body is practically fat-free already and the diet is enhancing my shoulders/arms/back quite a bit. This is not where I want to have more definition. I want my thighs to be cut and tight like my upperbody. I lift heavy. Can anyone tell me how long it took them to start seeing their thigh muscles? Even if you say 6 months or a year, I'll be happy because I'll have a timeframe to work with. Here are some pictures:

Me, I don't like

legs I do like (kimm4 rocks)

SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SouthernLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

Originally Posted by anniesbay View Post
    Hi gals, please help me find the patience I need to keep my sanity I'm on the keto diet. My upper body is practically fat-free already and the diet is enhancing my shoulders/arms/back quite a bit. This is not where I want to have more definition. I want my thighs to be cut and tight like my upperbody. I lift heavy. Can anyone tell me how long it took them to start seeing their thigh muscles? Even if you say 6 months or a year, I'll be happy because I'll have a timeframe to work with. Here are some pictures:

Me, I don't like

First off....You look great

What kind of rep range and what exercises do you use for legs?

I've had success bringing out quad separation with high(er) rep front squats and leg presses, but focusing on peak contraction and constant tension(never locking out at the top). Short stroke walking lunges will help too.

anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you

I'm actually starting my 6th week of P90X so it's a little complicated to lay out for you but basically I'm doing a lot of squats and lunges. The schedule as written has me do legs once a week but I'm working them twice a week the last 2-3 weeks. Here's what the P90X routine looks like:

Balance Lunges 25 reps each leg, 25lb DBs, one leg is extended back straight on a chair.

Calf-raise Squats 25 reps, 30lb DBs

Super Skaters 25 reps each leg. no weights or light weights.

You bend over as you kick one leg back, all the while balancing on the other leg in a forward lunge position. to make it harder you swing your leg behind and to the side, rather than just swinging it backwards.

Wall Squats for 1:30 min, no weights.

Step Back Lunges 25 reps, 30lb DBs or more.

Alternating Side Lunges 12 reps each leg, 12lb DBs or more.

Single-leg Wall Squats 10 seconds each leg for 1:30 minutes. No weights.

you hold one leg out as close as possible to keeping both thighs parallel to the floor. you try to raise your extended leg up as high as you can.

Deadlift Squats One leg at a time, squat down and lean over to get a little dead lift in there, touch floor. I hold a 30lb DB each side. 25 reps each.

Three-way Lunge with Two-Kick Option no weights. 5 times each leg.

In essence, it is a lunge to the left, then at a 45-degree angle to the left, then straight forward. After each lunge, you do a straight leg or bent-knee kick. After all 3 directions, you switch to the other leg and do the same thing.

Sneaky Lunges Walking lunges staying on your toes the WHOLE time, for 20 reps, you lean way over your toes as you lunge, raise arms above head and back down each time. I hold 3-5lb DBs.

Chair Salutations two times, for 30-45 seconds each.

Toe Roll Iso-Lunges 20 each leg, holding 25lb DBs or so

This is a back and forth movement where your body never significantly leaves the starting position, but rather you roll back and forth on the toe of the back leg. The start position is a deep lunge with one foot solidly out front, and the other leg as straight as possible to the rear.

The Groucho Walk Basically a plie squat (or should be if you can), walking forward and back for 4 steps, staying low. I hold a dumbbell between my legs as long as i can.

Calf Raises (3 angles, 15 slow, 10 fast; 30lb DBs)

80/20 Cyber-speed Squats (15 fast then 15 jump)

This exercise is basically just a really fast squat one-legged squat, the 80/20 comes in because you put 80% of your weight on one leg, and only 20% on the other leg. Switch to the other leg and repeat.

On my second leg day I either work them in a fullbody weight class, so high rep squats and lunges OR I go do some machines like standing weight-plate ham curls, leg press, leg extension, step ups, glute press.

Kimm4 also gave me some exercises and said to do something different each time I work legs. Still my concern is how often I should work my legs each week, and after how many weeks could I generally expect to see "quad separation?"

sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    leg extensions, leg extensions and did i mention my nemisis, leg extensions. when you speak of "definition" are you looking for the "tear drop" shape?

i think with your program P90X (i am not familiar with it) you could probably just do the Single-leg Wall Squats you do and take the non weight bearing leg, extend straight out and hold in order to mock a machine extension.
    No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying - Tony Robbins

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Okay, the hard truth is, depending on HOW you carry your weight, you may not get "thigh efinition" until you are at competition level bodyfat %.
    Even then, many female bb competitors do not get "ripped thighs"

So don't worry about definition and focus on development and keeping them tight. A nice shape trumps vascularity and extreme definition on a woman unless you are onstage.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you may have that "smooth thigh" genetic predisposition.
    My wife can get a full six pack and no leg definition.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Okay, the hard truth is, depending on HOW you carry your weight, you may not get "thigh efinition" until you are at competition level bodyfat %.
    Even then, many female bb competitors do not get "ripped thighs"

So don't worry about definition and focus on development and keeping them tight. A nice shape trumps vascularity and extreme definition on a woman unless you are onstage.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you may have that "smooth thigh" genetic predisposition.
    My wife can get a full six pack and no leg definition.
    exactly. women naturally carry more body fat in our lower bodies b/c we bare life. even at body fat below 10%, your upper body will remain more cut than your lower half. it isn't until you get closer to men's essential fat levels - 5% that you may see some evening out between upper and lower halves.
    www.RDFinders.com

Come check out my workouts and progress in my online journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305088761#post305088761

It is my progression for qualifying for November's Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

carissa85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem, genetically all the women on my fathers side of my family have massive thighs, they are also all quite overweight. I am not my ideal bodyfat% at the moment, and not toned at all, but when I was fit in highschool the only thing that seemed to slim down my thighs was faced paced walking, and plain squats & wall sqauts.
    Anything is possible.

bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000) bebeklein is just really nice. (+1000)
    kimm's legs make me drool too...

I'm familiar with the P90X program and like it.

You're fairly lean already so it's more about building muscle.

I work legs twice a week if I want to build and in the past it's taken me about 2 months (similar starting point as you) to get there with a good diet.

For me the key was low rep, high weight. Take a peak at Kimm's journal and see what kind of weight she is pushing. I don't always push myself as hard as I can go until I see what others can do.
    Last edited by bebeklein; 03-25-2009 at 03:10 AM.

ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModuLock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi
    Yeh I agree and disagree with some of the above comments.
    I do believe that fat deposition is definately a genetic thing. Guys store more in their stomach, and girls on their thighs/butt. So as said above it may just be a case of getting leaner and leaner. In my case I hold more on my stomach and back than anywhere else. When I diet the fat from my limbs goes first, then my back, all the while the fat on my gut pretty much stays the same. Sometimes thats just the way it is.

Regarding your training, you said you lift heavy, but looking at your program it really not what I would call heavy. To develop muscle training 'heavy' isn't just about failing on a certain amount of reps. Its about your exercise choices. And looking at your program it seems very aerobic to me.

It's been said a million times on these forums but I'd recommend starting with good ol' squats, leg press and maybe hack squats or leg extensions. If you want throw in some of those lunges and swiss ball squats at the end of the workout to burn em out. But concentrate on the big stuff first. If you develop some solid muscle in your legs it will push against the skin and you may get more shape without having to get uber lean.

Good luck, I think you have great legs btw

crystalleannaperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crystalleannaperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^ he just gave good info. I've been working legs for only 2 months, mostly squats, leg press, leg extensions, adn hamstring curl with some lunges...I am starting to notice a difference!
    "Heal my heart and make it clean
    Open up my eyes to the things unseen
    Show me how to love like You
    Have loved me
    Break my heart for what breaks Yours
    Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
    As I walk from earth into eternity"

thanks everyone that was great feedback. I'll calm down a bit and also try going back to basics. hopefully i can report back in a few months with some nice new pics.

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)

Me, I don't like

people will preach to you about doing lunges or leg extension, etc.. etc.. etc... and yes they are partially right, you do need the muscle. But at the end of the day it all comes down to bodyfat percentage. If bodybuilders obtained definition by doing ceartin exercises, then we would never diet.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thanks everyone that was great feedback. I'll calm down a bit and also try going back to basics. hopefully i can report back in a few months with some nice new pics.

annie you are looking fine, everything will come together with time and of course the thing i lack, patience. besides being thankful for having legs, having them on the smaller side is not such a bad thing (pant styles these days are not made for the thick leg). keep up the good work, looking forward to progress pics.
    No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying - Tony Robbins

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How long have you been training?
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

Time to start building... norinicole's Avatar
    norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ModuLock View Post
    Hi
    I do believe that fat deposition is definately a genetic thing. Guys store more in their stomach, and girls on their thighs/butt. So as said above it may just be a case of getting leaner and leaner. In my case I hold more on my stomach and back than anywhere else. When I diet the fat from my limbs goes first, then my back, all the while the fat on my gut pretty much stays the same. Sometimes thats just the way it is.

Regarding your training, you said you lift heavy, but looking at your program it really not what I would call heavy. To develop muscle training 'heavy' isn't just about failing on a certain amount of reps. Its about your exercise choices. And looking at your program it seems very aerobic to me.

It's been said a million times on these forums but I'd recommend starting with good ol' squats, leg press and maybe hack squats or leg extensions. If you want throw in some of those lunges and swiss ball squats at the end of the workout to burn em out. But concentrate on the big stuff first. If you develop some solid muscle in your legs it will push against the skin and you may get more shape without having to get uber lean.

First, great advice.

Second, holy crap your back could block out the sun!!!

Originally Posted by mavrick77 View Post
    people will preach to you about doing lunges or leg extension, etc.. etc.. etc... and yes they are partially right, you do need the muscle. But at the end of the day it all comes down to bodyfat percentage. If bodybuilders obtained definition by doing ceartin exercises, then we would never diet.
    And this.

I didn't start to see some real separation in my thighs until I was about 2-3 weeks out from my comp, and that was due to my diet.

Different exercises will definitely help with the 'shape' of your leg, but the only way you can get shredded thighs (like Kim's...cause we all want 'em ) will be through diet.

Good luck!
    Mrs. Hessunit as of May 11, 2013

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ModuLock View Post
    Hi

I have to agree with this post. The program you are doing simply isn't conducive to building a great deal of mass. Yes, thigh definition is ultimately about reducing Bf% but that should be a product of your diet, not really your workout regime.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000) sweeth4796 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree ...LOW body fat (clean diet) and hit the legs hard! I am VERY familiar with the p90x program and the diet is pretty good..although I would go with a lower sugar diet if you want better results....they have you eat their high sugar protein bar and high sugar post workout drink....i would ditch it and replace with some complex carbs.

second.....I have dropped 17 pounds in 8 weeks and am pissed off because my legs look damn near the same!!!!! But I know as I get leaner they will shrink...im hoping within the next 10 pounds..i mean **** my ribs are popping out!!! WHY GOD OHH WHY CANT YOU TAKE THE FAT FROM MY ASS AND NOT MY NON EXISTANT WAIST!!! sorry sorry ranting done

but yes go for it girl you WILL lean out just give it time and stick with the program!!!!!

PS you look fantastic..keep it up...WE ALL GO THROUGH IT!!!!!!
    Last edited by sweeth4796; 03-25-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: ADDED
    ***the best journey is one that is a trial to yourself because it makes the end that much more enjoyable***

jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jempalmer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    so if we hold more fat in our legs what if they were lipo sucked to just balance out the upper body to lower body ratio,

im just sick of having striations in my shoulders and a vascular look when im pumped in my arms but naving either normal looking legs (when i dont train them) or huge but hard legs (when i do train them)

i want to be able to walk round with a 6 pack, and leg definition and basically th bf% of a guy all the time not just for a contest
    if youre not screaming youre not trying