Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bigger, Stronger, Faster. biggerthanlavar's Avatar
    biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Biggerthanlavar's Home Gym Build thread!!!!

Hey all. This is going to be my home gym build/progress thread. I'm a car guy and these types of threads are pretty common in the car scene so I hope it's not frowned upon here for any reason. Hopefully, the noobs will check out this thread too as a point of reference for building their own home gyms. Enough on the intro.

As some of you know (Keetman), I'm building my own home gym in my 2 car garage. It was a big decision but after the wifey and I had a baby this past December, I found it very hard to get into the gym (Powerhouse) with any sort of consistency. This is after about 4 years of being a member and attending with some regularity. So in an effort to spend more time with my family and schedule my workouts around that time, I've decided to bring the gym to my garage. It's a smallish 2 car garage but I plan to have my equipment on one side while still keeping enough open area to park a car (keeps the wifey happy) I'll be posting as many progress pics as I can so hopefully others can benefit from my documentation of the process. I plan to buy as much as I can on the cheap from places like craigslist and ebay.

On to the equipment. For now, nothing special, just the basics per the FAQ-
    power rack
    adj. bench
    Olympic weights/barbells
    Thai bag (for cardio)
    Elliptical machine (it belongs to the wife really lol)
    adjustable dumbbells - I'm waiting on the ironmasters to show up again on craigslist.
    gym flooring/safety mats (whatever is cheapest)

Obviously, I won't pass up any deals on craigslist so I may end up w/ more equipment than originally planned.

I'll try to post pics tonight of the garage so you all can see what I have to work with.
    Obsessed is a word used often by the lazy, in order to describe the dedicated.

Working to get sub 10% BF for the first time in my life!!!

Registered User Curbside_Quiche's Avatar
    Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000) Curbside_Quiche is just really nice. (+1000)
    I give you 6 months and the car will be parked on the street.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    You might want to check this room planner out.

http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/roomplanner

Its fun to play with so you can see how all your stuff fits together before you actually even own it.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) captainmorgan0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same plan as you (parking a car on one side).
    I gradually got more stuff and booted the wifes car out.
    To make her happy again, we are now moving into a new house with a triple car garage, however I've decided the gym will be going in the basement now.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Curbside_Quiche View Post

LOL, reps when I can for making me arbitrarily laugh.

Originally Posted by captainmorgan0 View Post
    I had the same plan as you (parking a car on one side).
    I gradually got more stuff and booted the wifes car out.
    To make her happy again, we are now moving into a new house with a triple car garage, however I've decided the gym will be going in the basement now.

Its a good thing you decided to go to the basement. I'm guessing the space for the third car would've disappeared too eventually!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50) biggerthanlavar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks alot guys...you're right though the Garage will soon be mine!! all mine!!! muahahaaha...pending the wife's approval lol.

On another note, what do you gusy think about calling up my old gym and talking to the owner to see if he'll sell me some of his old equipment that he's getting rid of? I wonder if I could score a deal that way???

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by biggerthanlavar View Post
    Thanks alot guys...you're right though the Garage will soon be mine!! all mine!!! muahahaaha...pending the wife's approval lol.

On another note, what do you gusy think about calling up my old gym and talking to the owner to see if he'll sell me some of his old equipment that he's getting rid of? I wonder if I could score a deal that way???

Uh........if you don't get some pics up in here, this will be your own rant thread and I'm gonna have to call bull****.

Not that my bull**** call holds any weight.....I'm just sayin'.

Besides that, if you think you can.....why would you hesitate calling and asking? Gyms can be really good sources for equipment if its in good shape. Its almost definitely commercial quality and they just want to get rid of it so its seldom a hassle to get a deal. The condition is usually your only concern because obviously their stuff gets used. Oh....clean it well too

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Curbside_Quiche View Post

lol
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just threaten to set up in the living room and she'll give up her parking space.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Ok guys sorry for the lack of pics but I spent most of the evening cleaning/clearing a ton of crap out of the garage. As you can see, I still have a lot of work to do! I will definitely get some better pics this weekend plus I'll make more progress on clearing the space out and cleaning things up. My goal for tonight is to hang up the heavy bag and clean up some more!!!! I also plan to drywall the unfinished portion and paint to make things look a little better. I'd like to hang mirrors as well.
    Last edited by biggerthanlavar; 03-20-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Quick update:

I hung the heavy bag but it feels like I'm going to take down the house every time I punch it - I'll post pics tonight. The hanger I bought is a POS.

Also, I pulled the trigger on this power rack!!!! pretty exicted about that!

I think I'm going to suck it up and buy this bench right now as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-Flat-Incline-Decline-Weight-Bench-GFID31_W0QQitemZ220378033175QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220378033175&_trksid=p328 6.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1 |240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I really wanted to buy as much as I could used off of ebay/CL but logistically, it's such a PITA to go pick stuff up and find the time/truck to do so.
    Last edited by biggerthanlavar; 03-24-2009 at 12:40 PM.

done deal...I just bought the bench...hope it's a decent one.

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    done deal...I just bought the bench...hope it's a decent one.
    I tried one out at a local dealer here and thought it was very good. I compared it to similar ones from Powertec and Keys Fitness and ended up buying the Body Solid yesterday.

Originally Posted by ectoBgone View Post
    I tried one out at a local dealer here and thought it was very good. I compared it to similar ones from Powertec and Keys Fitness and ended up buying the Body Solid yesterday.
    good. glad you also chose the same bench.

Now I just need dumbbells, weight plates and some barbells to get started. Actually, I think I'll wait for the perfect deal on the dumbbells to come along. Until then, I'll just do Compound lifts!!!!!

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lots of people here own the GFID31 bench. They all seem to like it. I had a GFID225 that I just sold. It was a good, solid bench.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

quck update - I've been slacking on putting up pics and I still need weights/BB's to complete m y starter gym. I've only been able to do body weight stuff and punching bag workouts but I've been working hard enough that it still gets me gassed at the end. Enough about that, here are the pics.

I came home one day and found a bunch of heavy ass boxes. it took me a few days but those boxes turned into this:

In the last 2 pics, you can see the 4x6 "Stall" mats I got at tractor supply for $29 a piece. I think they're 1/2" thick.

Just need weights and BB's now!
    Last edited by biggerthanlavar; 04-21-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    So the girl doesn't come with the bench? or she ran off before you got home? too bad. better luck next time.

Looking good!!!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    So the girl doesn't come with the bench? or she ran off before you got home? too bad. better luck next time.

Looking good!!!
    lol, nah, my wife kicked her to the curb.

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh. You can just hang the bag from the roof?
    Damn. I just finished bulding a stand 4'x12'. LOL
    Serious though it is a 150lb bag and I am afraid it would damage the house (at least my ego thinks that )

Power rack and a Thai bag. gym is looking good.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lookin good. I leave the upper leg rollers off my 31 and just slide them on when I need them.They are kinda annoying
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 23 []---[]

"I don't have time to lift, I make time"

Once, at my local gym, I went into the locker room to take a leak. There was this little hairy, naked guy (probably my age) with it swinging down to his knee. He was really showing it off and smiled at me (WTF?!?) and winked. Me, being me, told him out loud, "if you want to impress me with that, have it hold up a barbell with 2 plates a side."

Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    Oh. You can just hang the bag from the roof?
    Damn. I just finished bulding a stand 4'x12'. LOL
    Serious though it is a 150lb bag and I am afraid it would damage the house (at least my ego thinks that )

Power rack and a Thai bag. gym is looking good.
    believe it or not, it's more stable from the ceiling beam. I used a heavy duty wall hanger first and with every punch, the wall of my garage bowed in and out. So I scrapped that idea and hung it from the beam. so much more stable now and you won't bring the house down lol.

Originally Posted by captmorganm6 View Post
    Lookin good. I leave the upper leg rollers off my 31 and just slide them on when I need them.They are kinda annoying
    yea, they do seem to get in the way. thanks for the tip!

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's coming along nicely! Some people say you'll get lazy working out at home and won't have the same motivation. Don't believe it! I've been working out at home for almost 20 years. Home gyms fuking rule!

I just wish you wouldn't have bought that bench yet. That is my current project. A FID bench since everyone loves them so much. LOL Someone here is going to get a hell of a deal on the first one I finish. Probably Keetman. LOL

Originally Posted by Turboboy View Post
    It's coming along nicely! Some people say you'll get lazy working out at home and won't have the same motivation. Don't believe it! I've been working out at home for almost 20 years. Home gyms fuking rule!

I just wish you wouldn't have bought that bench yet. That is my current project. A FID bench since everyone loves them so much. LOL Someone here is going to get a hell of a deal on the first one I finish. Probably Keetman. LOL

Consider me your beta tester for any equipment you make pal

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Turboboy View Post

Damn, I didn't know man!!! I wish I hadn't bought it either! would've saved me some coin I'm sure. I paid the $199 for the 31. I could've used that on bumpers.

I don't think I'll get lazy, in fact i feel like I'll work out more because i'll have instant access to it. At least, that's the hope lol.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=Keetman;320020361]Consider me your beta tester for any equipment you make pal

Awesome! I think you'll like this one. lol

Damn, I didn't know man!!! I wish I hadn't bought it either! would've saved me some coin I'm sure. I paid the $199 for the 31. I could've used that on bumpers.

I don't think I'll get lazy, in fact i feel like I'll work out more because i'll have instant access to it. At least, that's the hope lol.
    I'm sure that bench will be just fine for ya bro. I'm just not a fan of stuff that bolts together. However, it's much easier and cheaper to ship it that way so I definitely understand.

You'll do great at home! Hell, I used to run the sweeper, do a set, take out the trash, do a set etc etc....I know, not exactly hard core but the house was clean. LOL

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    here's a pic of my bag/hanger. it's alot more stable than just hanging it from one floor joist. my bag is only 80#, though, and i don't know if i'm gonna keep it. i just don't use it as much as i used to. the hanger is nice, though!

i got it here:
    http://www.boxingdepot.com/tr-bg-32.html
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000) BRUTUSPLAC is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile Awesome Post Animal !!!!!!!

system wont let me give yuo green !!!!

I want that hanger, afraid im gonna rip my 80 # out of my 3 yr young front porch ceiling. NOW i can hang in in my dirt basement !

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!

hope u have a great week or workouts
    !

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BRUTUSPLAC View Post
    ...THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!

hope u have a great week or workouts
    no problem. i can't remember who posted that link for me, but i was pretty happy with the hanger. be sure to post pics of your fingal fingers in this part of the boards. i like to see strongman gear, especially homemade stuff.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()