Kylegmoore71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to unlock/improve hip mobility

I am currently trying to pin point, and fix my daughters hip flexibility/mobility. She is 13 and an absolute beast athlete. She competes in Softball/Track/Basketball/Volleyball/etc....

She has won every sprint event in our area, 100, 200, Hurdles, and is relatively strong for her age. The problem is that I know that she could be so much faster/agile. She has some of the tightest hips I've ever seen.

I am looking for some specific movements/stretches, to help unlock hips. She has a hard time doing squats without a her upper body pushing forward, and I can see when it hinders her lateral movement. Thanks!!

iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iHATEnumberTWO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kylegmoore71 View Post
    I am currently trying to pin point, and fix my daughters hip flexibility/mobility. She is 13 and an absolute beast athlete. She competes in Softball/Track/Basketball/Volleyball/etc....

She has won every sprint event in our area, 100, 200, Hurdles, and is relatively strong for her age. The problem is that I know that she could be so much faster/agile. She has some of the tightest hips I've ever seen.

I am looking for some specific movements/stretches, to help unlock hips. She has a hard time doing squats without a her upper body pushing forward, and I can see when it hinders her lateral movement. Thanks!!
    Search up Defranco's Limber 11. Personally, it's helped me move better than ever before.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It would be pretty unlikely for a teenage girl to have any limits in their mobility. The tightness she is experiencing is most likely a stability issue.

Some breathing exercises would be a good place to start - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoqjoEXaAw
    www.dreesperformance.com

CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deficit stiff leg dead lifts... The number one exercise for stretching the hamstrings! 3x8 for strength, dont let the weight touch the ground for the entire set.

Also there is this stretch where you kneel on the ground, and then lean back until your back is flat on the ground. That is the best stretch for stretching your quads.

another great stretch is to sit on a hard stool and cross one leg over your knee and lean forward.

Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bentley41 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    get her a pvc pipe and have her do over head squats way back on her heels. have her stretch her lower back and hips. get her a foam roller aswell
    **Im always on the misc but nobody knows who i am crew**

R.I.P. Greg Plitt (1977-2015)
    R.I.P Zyzz (1989-2011)
    *+Ranger Panties Crew+*
    Never made a quality post crew

CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CarlsonGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Also speed squats are really great for explosiveness.

8sets of 3 with a moderate/light a few times a week. The idea is to keep the bar speed really fast in each set. 1 minute rest. It's not supposed to be taxing on the body

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Please ignore the rubbish above about speed squats, etc. A 13 year old needs to learn to squat. Please look up Dan John's Goblet squats. If she is a reasonable athlete, the chances are that it is not a mobility issue, but a coordination one. Goblet squats will teach the correct mechanics of the movement.

Ensure that you look up Dan John's descriptions specifically.

Kylegmoore71 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the input guys! We are going to give the suggestions a try! We did the limber 11 last night, and I didn't realize how much I needed it as well,lol.

I actually started her on goblet squats recently, and she does ok with the movement, but needs some work still. I have to admit a little sheepishly that I haven't tried overhead squats.........I have always done them with my throwers, but for whatever reason I've never had her do them.

Thanks again guys!!

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Please ignore the rubbish above about speed squats, etc. A 13 year old needs to learn to squat. Please look up Dan John's Goblet squats. If she is a reasonable athlete, the chances are that it is not a mobility issue, but a coordination one. Goblet squats will teach the correct mechanics of the movement.

Ensure that you look up Dan John's descriptions specifically.

I had no idea that this girl was not already squatting. Anyway, there is no reason why my suggestion is rubbish. I said use a light weight for 8 sets of 3. This is going to enforce the movement pattern and build neural connections which is the aim of speed squats.

Aim to do some form of squat movement 3 times per week... Keep the movement light enough to maintain fast and explosive bar speed!

Surely this is not garbage advice!
    Best of luck!

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CarlsonGee View Post
    I had no idea that this girl was not already squatting. Anyway, there is no reason why my suggestion is rubbish. I said use a light weight for 8 sets of 3. This is going to enforce the movement pattern and build neural connections which is the aim of speed squats.

Aim to do some form of squat movement 3 times per week... Keep the movement light enough to maintain fast and explosive bar speed!

Surely this is not garbage advice!
    Best of luck!
    Originally Posted by CarlsonGee View Post
    Also speed squats are really great for explosiveness.

8sets of 3 with a moderate/light a few times a week. The idea is to keep the bar speed really fast in each set. 1 minute rest. It's not supposed to be taxing on the body
    Your advice was for a 13 year old girl with poor squat form to do speed squats. Garbage.
    Last edited by krakkerz; 05-29-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr83 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Overhead squats are great, you can buy a 7 foot dowel rod from a hardware store to simulate using an Oly bar.

Honestly, just have her spend a lot of time in a deep squat position. Nothing fancy. Have her focus on keeping her back as vertical as possible without rounding the lumbar spine. She should also be stretching and foam rolling nearly every day.

TWO TIME MOD NEG SURVIVOR RunDRL's Avatar
    RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10) RunDRL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you incorporating hurdle walk over drills within her training already?

hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hossjob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If i were you I'd seek a good fitness professional/trainer in your area that can help her increased mobility and core strength as well as stability with a focus on SMR/Foam Rolling and lower body flexibility/strength.
    All American EFX Rep

********: www.********.com/AllAmericanEFX
    Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
    Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.

Registered User EndLineTraining's Avatar
    EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50) EndLineTraining will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A 13 year old girl doesn't need foam rolling or speed squats. She needs to learn to stabilize her pelvis and get a stronger torso. Proximal stability leads to distal mobility.

First thing that needs to happen is learning how to breathe properly. This isn't sexy or fun but it sets everything else up for success. If you aren't breathing properly you aren't going to get maximal benefits from the drills below as they are supposed to be used with the movement to guide the speed of the movement. A full exhale is to be used when moving the limbs away from the body and a full inhale as you bring the limbs back. You can use an exhale or hold the breath for lightly weighted goblet squats.
    Deadbugs
    Birddogs
    Glute bridges
    Planks
    Chinese planks
    Single leg raises
    Goblet squats
    3x5-8 every day with absolute perfect technique with a neutral spine and her mobility will improve night and day within weeks without stretching. Stretching isn't a terrible thing to do it just isn't going to help loosen up your daughters hips. Check out darkside strength's YouTube page for more information on breathing, why stability is most likely the answer for increased mobility and videos of the drills I listed.

Please no speed squats!!!
    CEO/Head Physical Preparation Coach- End Line Training Systems
    M.S. Kinesiology-Sport Sciences CSU Fullerton
    B.S. Exercise Science, USAW1
    www.endlinetraining.com
    www.********.com/endlinetraining
    Former D1 Football Player
    585 Back Squat
    405 Front Squat
    500 deadlift
    355 bench
    http://endlinetraining.com/2013/12/03/the-best-off-season-ever/