chilifreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why do my legs/hips hurt when I do ab work?

Hi

I have a very annoying problem!! when ever I do crunches, especially on the incline bench, I find that the muscle at the front of the hips, connecting the lower body to the upper legs, hurts way more than my abs! I have to stop because that hurts so much, not because my abs hurt. Which sucks, because I don't even think they're getting a workout!

It's really frustrating! Am I doing something wrong?

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chilifreak View Post
    Hi

I have a very annoying problem!! when ever I do crunches, especially on the incline bench, I find that the muscle at the front of the hips, connecting the lower body to the upper legs, hurts way more than my abs! I have to stop because that hurts so much, not because my abs hurt. Which sucks, because I don't even think they're getting a workout!

It's really frustrating! Am I doing something wrong?
    Those are your hip flexors.

They are activated during extension at the waist. Check your technique and ensure the movement is controlled (an uncontrolled movement can engage the flexors to a undesirable degree).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post

They are activated during extension at the waist. Check your technique and ensure the movement is controlled (an uncontrolled movement can engage the flexors to a undesirable degree).
    I have the same issue.. I find I get more pain with a slow controlled movement :s and less with a fast uncontrolled movement ? Both ways though, my hip flexors get more of a workout than my abs :s

Suggestions anyone

RabidRick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RabidRick has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Legs and incline situps

This happened when I started to do incline sit ups again but it went away after a bit... If it's still hurting a lot you're probably using your legs too much to try and help stabilize as you get up. Where are your hands? It might be easier to control the muscles being used if you have them on your chest and not behind your head. You should be able to stabilize yourself to the bench without using your flexors too much.

Just my thoughts...

brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brighamw has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Smile

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post

Follw this advice, technique,form and pace are very important in ab work...

TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TKOtheKDR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hip flexors.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    As others have stated, it's an issue of incorrect exercise form. You hip flexors will always be worked, to an extent, while working abs, but improving your form will help to shift more of the emphasis to your abs. Perfect practice makes perfect.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733