gkboss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help !! Love handles and lower back

Ok guys here is the deal. I am in really good shape and have low body fat. Around 8-10%. I am 6ft 190lbs. I want to slim down and burn some fat off my love handles and lower back. It seems all my fat is there. I damn near have an 8pack but i still have fairly large love handles. Now the thing is i there is not that much fat on them but there is a bulky muscle that makes them stick out. Are my hips too wide or too much muscle and fat??? Do you guys know any excercises to help lean out love handles and lower back and burn some fat? Anything to avoid?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ToshiroMifune is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gkboss View Post
    Ok guys here is the deal. I am in really good shape and have low body fat. Around 8-10%. I am 6ft 190lbs. I want to slim down and burn some fat off my love handles and lower back. It seems all my fat is there. I damn near have an 8pack but i still have fairly large love handles. Now the thing is i there is not that much fat on them but there is a bulky muscle that makes them stick out. Are my hips too wide or too much muscle and fat??? Do you guys know any excercises to help lean out love handles and lower back and burn some fat? Anything to avoid?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Lowering your body fat is the only way. Running helps to evenly distribute fat stores and consequently is the prime stomach/love handle removing exercise.
    Also try building muscle in those stomach regions to give it protection-the bigger/denser the muscle, the more calories it has t burn to survive. An effective love handle exercise is side bends....

1. grab a db in one hand and stand a little more than shoulder width apart
    2. keepin your legs straight, lean toward the side holding the db to lower it
    to knee level
    3. then come back up, keeping legs straight and arm straight
    4. Repeat, bend sideways to knee, come back up(a little past straight),
    repeat

LordClayton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't recommend doing DB side bends with much weight, using heavy weight will probably make your love handles look bigger because the muscle underneath will get larger. You could also naturally have large muscles under there to give you the appearance of having larger love handles than you do.

Even if you are at a low bf % upping the cardio might not hurt. Not sure on how much cardio you do but most likely doing more will get rid of the extra fat storage area's, because on males the love handles is usually the last area that gets lean.

Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kahuna-McAuley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some more experienced bodybuilders can correct me on this if I am wrong but I am sure I once read that there are bodybuilders out there who dont train obliques for the reason that they dont want to have 'handles' or a thicker waist at all.

Personally i prefer to work the whole core but it is something you could consider. It maybe in your effort to get rid of the love handles you are doing a lot of exercises for this region, increasing the muscle mass and making them look bigger.

You could lay off them for a while whilst pumping up the cardio and tightening up your diet.
    Im on a Missison to Get a Six Pack for Summer
    Check Out My Progress at My Body Blog
    http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Kahuna-McAuley

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Kahuna-McAuley View Post
    Some more experienced bodybuilders can correct me on this if I am wrong but I am sure I once read that there are bodybuilders out there who dont train obliques for the reason that they dont want to have 'handles' or a thicker waist at all.
    There are also bbers who leave their forearms underdeveloped because they think it makes their bis look big. And their traps small, thinking that makes their shoulders look better. They end up looking like they have awful proportions.

The size of the waist is more to do with the amount of intra-abdominal fat, and the tension in the transversus abdominis muscle(TVA) than with the size of the muscles. It isn't like the upper arm, where the bone size is small compared to the triceps, biceps, and brachialis.

In the case of the abs, the muscular bulk is only a thin ring around the circumference of the midriff. Since having really strong abs is essential for stabilization of the spine in everyday activities, and particularly in any squats, deads, rows, cleans, presses, and even heavy curls, leaving any section of the midsection weak is just plain dumb.

External fat is not dangerous, but it is nice to look lean. More cardio as part of warmups and cooldowns to your weights might help.

But the best way to lean out is to clean up the diet while still maintaining intensive weight training. Soda, sugar, high refined carb, "low fat" high sugar concoctions are the biggest sin against a lean body any bodybuilder can commit.

Neglecting low back is an even bigger sin.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^Amen^^

Genetics aside, try stress relieving techniques. Cortisol and adrenal issues can result in this fat placement in men.

Give it a google.
    Last edited by tonester; 03-17-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

gkboss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the help guys. I definitely have been lazy as far as lower back workouts go. Any particular lower back excercises that are really good?

I will try some low weight/high rep excercises for my love handles. I do about 30-35 min cardio 4 times a week. I'm going to try up one more cardio session weekly.

vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vynvyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Reverse crunches w/ or w/o weight is good and seated/standing weighted medicine ball twists. How are your lats? sometimes getting the nice "V" shape helps mask the bulge if its not fat and if it's "fatback" just got to clean up the diet.