javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100)

Newbie: 5x5 Starting or 20 Rep Squats

Which do you think is the best routine for a beginner wanting to get bigger fast? I'm currently doing 5x5, but the 20 rep squat routine intrigues me...

IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500)
    Ripptoes starting strength.

then once you plateu then do the 20 rep squat program.

javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for the response! Repped.

I'm doing the 5x5 but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, at least as far as how I load the plates on the bar.

Currently, I'm doing the same weight for 5 sets of 5 reps, then increasing by 5 lbs every workout. I haven't calculated the 10%, 20%, etc and don't quite understand the pyramiding he wants people to do.

Which is why I think I'm doing more the stronglifts 5x5 program...where you start with the bar then add 5 pounds every single workout. That's how I've been doing it, and it's been working great.

I'm 5'6 and 120 lbs....started squatting I could barely do the bar....now I'm up to being able to squat 70 lbs 5x5, and tonight when I hit the gym it's going to be 75.

IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500) IawI is not very helpful. (-500)
    What's your routine?

Stronglifts 5x5 beginner program:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

That's a great routine. Just keep the same weight for 5x5 each time, but when you squat on your second day I would lower the weight by like 20-30% or work your way up to your working set you did on monday. (if you do 70lbs for 5x5 on monday, then wesday do 50x5,55x5,60x5,65x5,70x5) And then go back to normal 5x5 friday.

Make sure you eat like crazy! 7-9 hours of sleep at night. Skies the limit my friend. Hope I was helpful!

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IawI View Post
    That's a great routine. Just keep the same weight for 5x5 each time, but when you squat on your second day I would lower the weight by like 20-30% or work your way up to your working set you did on monday. (if you do 70lbs for 5x5 on monday, then wesday do 50x5,55x5,60x5,65x5,70x5) And then go back to normal 5x5 friday.

Make sure you eat like crazy! 7-9 hours of sleep at night. Skies the limit my friend. Hope I was helpful!
    ^This^

when you do plateau, THEN move on to 20 rep squats, and IMO 20 reppers are the perfect next step after rippetoes. Really utilize the crap out of rippetoes though, I can't say enough good things about it
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great input from the guys.

If you started with the 20 rep widowmakers, you might just burn out too fast.

The 5 x 5 will build up your ruggedness first.

Twenty rep squat program is not to be taken lightly(pun intended).

Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Had probably my best workout every last night, hit 75 lbs with the squat! I know that's not much weight but for a beginner who has a small frame like me I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I hope alternating DB flyes and incline DB bench after my bench press for these workouts doesn't lead to overtraining. I love doing my flys.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by javyn View Post
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Had probably my best workout every last night, hit 75 lbs with the squat! I know that's not much weight but for a beginner who has a small frame like me I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I hope alternating DB flyes and incline DB bench after my bench press for these workouts doesn't lead to overtraining. I love doing my flys.
    Yeah man as IawI said, you would be best on Starting strength at the moment (or stronglifts 5x5). 5x5 with the varied loading over the three weekly workouts is an intermediate program designed for those guys who can basically no longer go heavy 3x a week without frying themselves. As a novice you don't need that - instead of progressing every monday like madcows or texas method 5x5 has you doing, you could be progressing mon/wed/fri, at least for a good few months. Once you stall a couple times on that set up, that's when those 5x5 set ups come into their own. I'd probably leave 20 rep squats for a year or so until your work capacity, mental strength are up and your technique is absolutely perfect.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lewis69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

my programme rocks

my training programme is very similar to this i have to say i do a bit of cv too though i am currently in best shape i have ever been in weighing in at 102kg 8% body fat fairly ripped my programme has taken bits from 4 of my favorite programmes i have done over past few years check them out they are all worth a look would recomend any one of them espesialy if you are looking to cut up and reduce fat

http://wanttobeatthefat.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Will rep more on recharge.

Well today after work is another workout day, but my legs are still a bit sore and wobbly from Monday's squat at a new high for me, 75 lbs.

I don't want to miss a day even though I think I should to recover, so I'm thinking today I will lower my squat weight a bit, then do presses and deadlifts as normal, then go back up to 75 or perhaps move to 80 on Friday.

Opinions? Should I drop my squat weight by 20% or rest another day and attempt squats tomorrow at full weight?

shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50) shaodw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey man, legs will always be sore the first week, just squat with the weight you intended to do, i promise after the first or 2nd warmup set they will be feeling back to normal again. i hate the feeling of the first week after i stop gymming for a bit! good luck

Hell yes! Hit 80 lbs on squats yesterday, and I'm not even sore this morning! I can actually see 1.5x bodyweight on the horizon, this is very exciting for me.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by IawI View Post
    Ripptoes starting strength.

then once you plateu then do the 20 rep squat program.
    Good advice. Follow it up with an intermediate 5x5 and then a 6 week cycle of German volume training and you've got just about the most productive first year of training possible in terms of putting on beef.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hell yes! Hit 80 lbs on squats yesterday, and I'm not even sore this morning! I can actually see 1.5x bodyweight on the horizon, this is very exciting for me.
    If you're numbers are that low, you really should of started on Starting Strength or something similar with less volume.

Coincidentally, you probably shouldn't be doing 5x5 with straight sets.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

That version of 5x5 has the intermediate lifter in mind, and you're ramping the weights. I'm not bashing your program, I'm just saying your much better off running SS then following up with 5x5 linear progression (ramping weights, not straight sets).

Yeah? My weights are low, but well, my bodyweight hovers from 115 to 120 so it's not like I have too long to go before I can squat my bodyweight if I can keep increasing 5 lbs every workout.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah? My weights are low, but well, my bodyweight hovers from 115 to 120 so it's not like I have too long to go before I can squat my bodyweight if I can keep increasing 5 lbs every workout.
    As a beginner, pretty much any half decent program will work for you. It's just that some programs would provide faster, more consistent gains.