cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How can I tell if I am in ketosis

I know the keto stix arent that accurate so I have not tried those yet.

I have followed a strict diet for the last 7 days and have not had any of the side effects others report about ketosis. Other than a headache last week after a good workout at the gym.

My macros have been a constant 65/30/5 everyday and my weight hasnt dropped any either.

I am 5'8" 192 lbs and my calorie intake has averaged 2200-2400 a day and I have worked out 40-50 minutes 3 days a week with 2 days of light cardio and still I can not tell if I am in ketosis.

I did start at about 196 last Monday but I attribute that to loads of carbs the Sunday before (ice cream, candy bars, cakes).

Any insight would be appreciated! TIA!

signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cmar1974 View Post

I have followed a strict diet for the last 7 days and have not had any of the side effects others report about ketosis. Other than a headache last week after a good workout at the gym.

My macros have been a constant 65/30/5 everyday and my weight hasnt dropped any either.

I am 5'8" 192 lbs and my calorie intake has averaged 2200-2400 a day and I have worked out 40-50 minutes 3 days a week with 2 days of light cardio and still I can not tell if I am in ketosis.

I did start at about 196 last Monday but I attribute that to loads of carbs the Sunday before (ice cream, candy bars, cakes).

You may or may not be in ketosis. The best indication is that the feeling of having really low blood sugar (fatigue, headaches, general malaise) goes away. Some people also experience a change in the smell of their breath and the color of their urine. It may take 3-7 more days, but you might be in already. I would suggest getting the ketostix to see if you register.

cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmar1974 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yea, I have had none of those side effects other than the one terrible headache last week after my work out....and I never get headaches!

I would think I would have more than just that one episode if I were in ketosis.

wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10) wbmstr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The change in the smell of your breath will be distinct - it's hard to miss. You will also go through a tough shift, some call it the metabolic shift where your body stops relying on glycogen/carbs as the primary energy source and starts burning fats and converting them to glucose to fuel critical functions.

It feels like you are in a bit of a brain fog, you're not "all there" - once you make it through this stage, you will begin to adjust and feel somewhat more "normal".

I found that it took me a while to get to the ketosis stage and I ate almost 0 carbs - it took a full 3 and a half days. The ketostix worked for me.

Headaches are common.
    ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE INNOVATION QUALITY RESULTS

http://www.MUSCLEPRIME.com
    http://www.TESTOFX.com
    http://www.RAPIDCUTSHARDCORE.com
    http://www.QUICKMASS.com
    http://www.ALLMAXCLA95.com
    http://www.LEUTOR.com

http://www.ALLMAXNUTRITION.com

"He who sweats more in training, bleeds less in battle."

207 and melting the BF glycomann's Avatar
    glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000) glycomann is just really nice. (+1000)
    You start to feel better as your body shifts to making its own glucose. Then you drop some water weight as your body stops dumping lots of insulin with all your meals since carbs are pretty much absent. Insulin makes you hold water. Cravings for carbs goes down considerably. Watch your protein intake if it's too low you will start losing muscle since protein is where your body gets materials to make its own glucose.

Here is a reference showing some of the amino acids conversions to intermediates en-route to gluconeogenesis.
    Last edited by glycomann; 03-16-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

See Glycoman's corner at: http://www.moarmuscle.com/forumdispl...omann-s-Corner

Apparently I am one of the ones that it will take a few more days to get into ketosis. Like I said my macros are right on and have been for 7 days, today being day eight, and still none of the side effects mentioned above.

Thanks guys!

Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Douglas_Quaid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm one week into keto and my breath doesn't really taste likle a barbell and I haven't felt like absolute ****. Yet I have lost 10 pounds and seem to be doing pretty well. I always get under 30g net carbs per day probably 30-40 including fiber.
    Should I get ketostix just to see if I'm at least trace?
    Would it be possible that the symptoms are less pronounced in some people?

DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DietSpam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DDJ View Post
    Would it be possible that the symptoms are less pronounced in some people?
    I believe so. I can never figure out the taste thing and never sure if I have keto breath, something I just ate, or I haven't brushed my teeth since early this morning. I didn't feel like crap until the last few days of my second week. If you stick to the diet, you should be in ketosis.

I used the strips when i first started just because I wanted some reassurance that my diet was correct and my body was adjusting. Now I just occasionally check after a carb-up just out of curiosity and i have no other use for these sticks.

OK, so I just got back from the gym and I can certainly tell a difference in my performance.

I couldn't lift what I could last week for as many reps. I had to lift lower weight just to get 6-8 reps each exercise.

I am assuming this is because of no carbs?

PsychoPopeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PsychoPopeye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OK, so I just got back from the gym and I can certainly tell a difference in my performance.

I couldn't lift what I could last week for as many reps. I had to lift lower weight just to get 6-8 reps each exercise.

I am assuming this is because of no carbs?
    You assume right :P

I am on my fourth day, and have had mild symptoms, I still feel pretty ****ing awesome all day though! Waterweight dropped 6lbs in that time ..

Mild headaches .. my mouth is a swamp, not realy smelly, but sticky.