needforchange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Metabolism Repair Manual

I read the metabolism repair manual over the weekend by Leigh Peele and I'm wondering if it would be good for me to do or only set me back at this point. I'm in recovery from bulimia and recently I've been really trying to eat more because I know my metabolism is a mess. I've been hitting or getting close to hitting 1500 calories with all clean food and lots of protein. I'm not sure if I still need to up it being I'm such a small person. I'm thinking maybe I just bump it to 1700 or I'm still not going to improve my metabolism?

Anyways, in the program you are supposed to take the first two weeks, stop exercising, and eat at a certain percentage below your maintenance. (I think I calculated according to the book I would eat at about 1150.) At this point though, does it make sense for me to do this and eat less when I finally have gotten myself to eat more? Also, do I really need to stop working out to repair my metabolism? I wasn't an overexerciser before and really didn't start working out very consistently until 2 or 3 months ago. I want to do whatever it takes to get my metabolism working because I just keeping getting bigger rather than losing any fat!

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by needforchange View Post
    I read the metabolism repair manual over the weekend by Leigh Peele and I'm wondering if it would be good for me to do or only set me back at this point. I'm in recovery from bulimia and recently I've been really trying to eat more because I know my metabolism is a mess. I've been hitting or getting close to hitting 1500 calories with all clean food and lots of protein. I'm not sure if I still need to up it being I'm such a small person. I'm thinking maybe I just bump it to 1700 or I'm still not going to improve my metabolism?

Anyways, in the program you are supposed to take the first two weeks, stop exercising, and eat at a certain percentage below your maintenance. (I think I calculated according to the book I would eat at about 1150.) At this point though, does it make sense for me to do this and eat less when I finally have gotten myself to eat more? Also, do I really need to stop working out to repair my metabolism? I wasn't an overexerciser before and really didn't start working out very consistently until 2 or 3 months ago. I want to do whatever it takes to get my metabolism working because I just keeping getting bigger rather than losing any fat!
    Is the book aimed at people who have an eating disorder or regular people who have burned out their metabolism?
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

The author uses a lot of case studies. Many are people that have just been dieting forever, a couple were recovering from eating disorders, so I think it would apply to both.

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by needforchange View Post
    The author uses a lot of case studies. Many are people that have just been dieting forever, a couple were recovering from eating disorders, so I think it would apply to both.
    Ok - have you done any research on the author of the book and their credentials?

Anyways I am seriously far from an expert but I would agree with you in the sense that it would seem silly for you to eat less when you've actually gotten yourself to eat more.

It may be that you are already one step ahead of the book.

As for the working out part - I can see where she's coming in that when you work out you burn up cals but then again working out, speeds up the metabolism and doesn't slow it down.

So does she explain herself as to why you shouldn't workout?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10) emilyslowiak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is this an ebook by any chance?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What I'd do is go to 1700 and lift my arse off. Use the time to bulk. It'll help reset your metabolism and you'll gain lean mass which will also help crank up your metabolism. After a couple of months you'll be able to judge if you've gained way too much fat or just a bit. Adjust cals if needed and keep going. When you do lean out, take it slow, no drastic cal reductions.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    What I'd do is go to 1700 and lift my arse off. Use the time to bulk. It'll help reset your metabolism and you'll gain lean mass which will also help crank up your metabolism. After a couple of months you'll be able to judge if you've gained way too much fat or just a bit. Adjust cals if needed and keep going. When you do lean out, take it slow, no drastic cal reductions.
    agreed and at the moment it really doesn't matter too much if you pick up a little bit of fat.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Yes, it's an E-book. The author also wrote Fat Loss Troubleshoot. I found it from recommendations on this board actually, so I believe that the author is reputable.

sparrow610 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://forums.jpfitness.com/fat-loss-troubleshoot/

This is a link to Leigh's forum. I think she posts there quite frequently and helps people out. Maybe you could ask there.

Thanks for everyone's quick responses. I think I'm just going to take the advice of many of you and just bump up the cals and think of this as a time to gain more muscle. I've never been one for strict formulaic plans anyway like the book calls for.

A couple of questions though...you guys mentioned not worrying about gaining fat. Do you think I will gain that much if I eat clean and lift heavy? I've already gained a bunch because none of my clothes fit anymore. I've never been this big in my life and I'm so uncomfortable at this size. I'm nervous if I gain much more I'm just going to give up on being healthy.

Also, would it be beneficial or not to do cardio? Currently I do cardio maybe 3-4 times a week for about 30-40 minutes. Sometimes I do HIIT 1-2x a week out of those days. I didn't know if that might keep my metabolism from speeding up or not. I'd like to continue to do it because it just helps me feel better mentally.

No if you eat clean and lift heavy, you won't be gaining fat you'll be building muscle. What we mean is you will probably gain just a little.

The reason you are feeling uncomfortable at the moment is because you have never been this big before and it's new to you. You are far from fat so I really wouldn't start worry about the way you look.

It's just gonna take a little getting used - having some mass on your body that is.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some cardio, 3x a week for up to 30 minutes is fine.

Do you have some picts you could post? It would really be helpful. Like Mindi said, big is relative. I should be, and one day will be, a good 10# more than I am now. Yep, I'll be bigger, but it won't be a "bad" bigger. Except the having to buy more clothes part. Which isn't always such a bad thing

Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much weight have you gained since eating at 1500? Because with bulimia, you are going to be replenishing a lot of lost water weight/electrolytes and muscle glycogen and that is going to fill you out and put #'s on the scale. It is also quite possible NONE of it is fat, and you just feel fat because your clothes are tighter?

Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gracehbd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    it would seem silly for you to eat less when you've actually gotten yourself to eat more.

It may be that you are already one step ahead of the book.
    Exactly. I reckon just keep up the good work you're already doing - dropping your cals now would probably make your metabolism far more messed up.

Thanks for all the support and advice!

freebirdmac- I suppose I could put up pics but I'm too embarrassed of my body now and what people will think. I really do think right now I weigh too much for having such a small frame. However, I never want to be where I was before looking scary skinny. I have a much healthier ideal now (By the way, I have read so many of your posts and you are such an inspiration!)

Needatuneup- I have no idea if I gained since starting to eat around 1500. I do know that I've gained from 4 or 5 months ago because clothes I was wearing then don't fit now. I don't know the poundage though because I don't weigh myself. I become too obsessed and will weigh myself 10 times a day if I start. I do know that I went from binging and purging with no actual meals 3x a day to binging and purging a few times a week and starting to eat more in the way of real meals. Somewhere in there I guess I gained the weight. I was surprised because I thought when I cut down the binging and purging I'd actually lose weight. I guess my body is just trying to hold on to everything possible. Would just gaining water really make my clothes all that much tighter?

Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Needatuneup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So, are you still engaging in binge/purges on top of eating around 1500/day? Do you truly know how little/how much you are eating (i.e. do you track it)? If so, there's no real way to know if your intake is too little or too much or why you are gaining or if it is water. I know from experience that unless you stop the B/P, the water fluctuations will continue. Your body will tend to want to hold onto extra water until you are abstinent. If you'd like, you can post your meals and get some great feedback here. I know some do not believe in tracking calories when recovering from an ED, but if you go to any recovery center, they are tracking your calories, and it's for a reason. It is a great tool to monitor whether or not you are under eating and stalling your metabolism

Needatuneup- You're absolutely right about it not really working until I stop. I forgot to mention though, since I've been eating more the b/p has gone down to significantly to 1x a week or less. I haven't been eating 1500 calories and b/p at the same time. The weight gain happened before I really upped the cals and was eating maybe 800-900 calories and binging and purging 3-5x a week. Now I've been b/p less than once a week. The few days I did I also ate much less than 1500 cals. I'm really trying hard to make it none! I'm trying to get through a month without b/p which will be amazing for me. I know I really need to stop if I want to make any progress and I'm determined.

I'm pretty sure my cals and macros are where I'm trying to have them be because I've been tracking them but I'll post for any feedback. I've been trying to eat about 40/40/20. I know perhaps I should not track so strictly, but if I don't I would definitely end up restricting.

1- 5-6 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp flaxseed

2- Apple and 2 lowfat string cheese or nonfat greek yogurt with berries

3- 5oz chicken, 1 tsp olive oil, 2/3 cup brown rice, 1 1/2 cups carrots and peppers OR 5oz chicken, 4 oz sweet potato, 2 tsp nat PB, veggies

4- (PWO)- Smoothie made with scoop of whey and 1 cup strawberries

5-(varies but for example) 4oz lean ground turkey, 1 1/2 cups mixed veggies, 1/2 cup brown rice, a little marinara sauce, 1 tsp olive oil

I think it's pretty good, right?
    Last edited by needforchange; 03-17-2009 at 03:39 AM.