Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Can't find my lats!

Hey all, my name's Matt and I've recently gotten into weight training with a buddy from work who's been bodybuilding for about 20 years... I've been in the gym a month, we go about 3-5 times a week depending on our schedule. I started off scrawny 140lbs about a year ago and now I'm sort of a shapeless, 170lbs with a slight gut so I'm trying to make some changes in my life!

I've improved since I started already. On my bench press when I started a month ago I could only do 8 reps with 65, now I'm up to 8 with 85. I have been better able to control my muscles with all of this training, but the one thing that escapes me is my back!

Today was back and biceps day, and we started off warming up on the machine row, did 3 sets on the cable row, and 3 sets of lat pulldowns, but I felt the whole time like I was just "going through the motions"... I can't seem to be able to flex my lats without just tightening up my whole body. I understand this is a muscle that's hard to learn to use, but is there some sort of motion I can go through to learn to flex them? e.x. like flexing your pecs you'd bring your arms together and squeeze, the rear delts you'd squeeze your shoulder blades etc etc

I was thinking of starting a pull-up regimen but that's out of the question for a month or so because of a finger injury I sustained at work...

Any advice you guys can give me I really appreciate it, thanks!

jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgrube will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    barbell rows. with good form (make sure elbows are tucked). thats the only thing that got my lats to grow. i used to have the same problem as you.

rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bent over BB rowes, along with deadlifts can target your lats. Chins are also another exercise to consider.

buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) buffryan45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    keep looking, they're bound to pop up somewhere
    Current: (GOALS)

Deadlift: 500x1 (540x1)
    Squat: 450x1 (475x1)
    Bench: 320x1 (350x1)
    Military Press: 230x1 (300x1)
    Barbell Row: 290x1 (350x1)

"Well, nothing makes a gallon of milk go down easier than a box of pop tarts"

Registered User YouKnowWhatItIs's Avatar
    YouKnowWhatItIs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should be able to feel your lats working on Low cable rows....

spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000) spot_skater is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to build the MMC (mind muscle connection). Which seems to be the hardest to do with back, for most people, cause you can't see it being worked. You need to feel your back being worked with every pull up/down and row and any other back exercise you do.

Focus and it will come together.

And FWIW pull ups/weighted pull ups are my favorite for lats

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Close-grip chinups allowed me to find mine. I'm sure there are dozens of exercises that could work, but that was the most obviously effective one for me.

thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DB rows are awesome too...try them braced against a bench or a rack
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com

The greatest unhappiness lies in trading what you want most for what you want at the moment.

3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000) 3MGS6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Deadlifts,pullups,chins & rows(bb, db& t bar rowing) are what I use.The rows are swapped around every 2nd week.
    Train well rest well and eat well.they will grow

Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Then where the **** did you put them?

They might be under the sofa.

Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Jump on the lat pull down or do some rows etc but do the movement really slow, also having your partner tap the muscle with their finger or something, while you do the movement can help the MMC
    " The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Coming back from injury

Current 5RM

Bench 5x80kg
    Squat 5x120kg
    Dead 5x120kg
    Millitary 5x60kg

Drabbard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've found that working the negatives on lat pull help. Gotta be careful, though. I've tweaked my back pretty good doing that and then being stupid by trying to check my form in the mirror. It's one way to learn.

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They'll definitely be in the last place you look. Happens all the time...

thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thebasil is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lat pulldowns might not be the best to help get MMC with your lats...unless its a hammer strength machine. i tend to get better mmc on those
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com

The greatest unhappiness lies in trading what you want most for what you want at the moment.

lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukew55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it just takes time i think, and i think you prob need more muscle mass on your back before you can feel it working. just stick to good form and remember to squeeze them shoulder-blades together on contraction.

machine-work helped me finding the MMC.
    I rep back!

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 3MGS6 View Post
    Deadlifts,pullups,chins & rows(bb, db& t bar rowing) are what I use.The rows are swapped around every 2nd week.
    Train well rest well and eat well.they will grow
    ^^^

This. Make sure you work vertical and horizontal motions.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Attacus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had this problem for awhile. One day I finally got fed up and I spent about an hour trying pulldowns every way I could think with light weight for like ~20 reps until I felt a burn. Wide grip, Medium Grip, Close Grip, Chin Grip, Neutral Grip... every single attachment at the gym. I just put it on the machine and went with it. Letting shoulders roll forward, keeping shoulder blades pinched, etc. Tried all the ways I could think of.

I finally found that supinated single arm pulldowns did it for me, a burn in my lats at long last. From then on, at the beginning of every back workout, after my warm up, I'd do 3 or 4 sets the same way: light weight ~20 reps until I got a good feel for my lats, and then I'd do my workout.

After doing that for about a month, I started being able to feel my lats being activated in most of my pulls. Today I can flex them no prob.

Hope that helps.

Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Matt210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Guys thank you all for the replies, I will try everything suggested here! The BB rows/pullups/deadlifts might be out of the question for now because of my fingers but I will work on any other excercise that I can... thanks again

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One-arm rows are pretty good.