Lifter7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest exercises with little shoulder?

I'm suffering from shoulder pain, which is preventing me from doing any chest exercises that use shoulder as a secondary muscle (ie. bench press). Are there any chest exercises anyone knows that use very little shoulder? Thanks in advance.

And yes, I know I need to get my shoulder checked out by a professional.

PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceAric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lifter7 View Post
    I'm suffering from shoulder pain, which is preventing me from doing any chest exercises that use shoulder as a secondary muscle (ie. bench press). Are there any chest exercises anyone knows that use very little shoulder? Thanks in advance.

Sorry big guy, there's no way out of it. Your chest doesn't work without your shoulders unless you know a way to not use your arms to work out your chest..

Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Tuck in your elbows when you lift with the chest.

One of the major reasons people get pec tears and shoulder tears is by lifting wrong.

You can still use chest. By tucking in your elbows, you isolate the chest, and the spine.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by PrinceAric View Post
    Sorry big guy, there's no way out of it. Your chest doesn't work without your shoulders unless you know a way to not use your arms to work out your chest..
    ^^^this. there are ways to reduce shoulder use but no way to leave the arms or shoulders out
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) whitedustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Shoulder is a supporting muscle, no way around it brah. Hangman had good advice.
    Will rep back (even though i have none)

Naked in the bathtub
    Sittin' on the porcelain
    Waiting for that little hurricane to pull your torso in
    The water don't run, just drips like rain
    Still drips like a painkiller drips to the veins

Lifter7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For bench press - would doing a wider grip help reduce the strain on the shoulder?

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Declines will MINIMIZE delt involvement. Try pressing with hands parallel using dumbbells.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steeltoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For bench press - would doing a wider grip help reduce the strain on the shoulder?
    no wide grip is harder on the shoulder, try a close grip instead, that will take stress off the shoulder and shift it to the triceps. also try lowering the weight your using, till your shoulder gets all better.
    Wow your signature is so deep.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Hengman View Post
    Tuck in your elbows when you lift with the chest.

One of the major reasons people get pec tears and shoulder tears is by lifting wrong.

You can still use chest. By tucking in your elbows, you isolate the chest, and the spine.
    Explain how this works to me.

With elbows out, your upper arms are moving out to in. The elbow travels from outward to inward as you press.

With elbows out, the upper arms are moving from down (inferior) to up (superior). From lower on the torso to higher on the torso.

The pec pulls the arms in from without. The shoulder raises it up from below. This is why people do front raises for anterior delt.

Explain to me how mimicking the motion of a front raise with your upper arm would emphasize the pecs instead of the anterior delt.

Using elbows-in powerlifter would seem to limit stretching of the pecs and limit their involvement and make it a more delt-dominant exercise. If it avoids pec-tearing it would be because it avoids pec work. I don`t see how it would minimize delt strain or emphasis.