bigdave07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Elliptical Question - Precor EFX 546 vs Lifefitness 9500HR

If you were going to get an elliptical. Would you get the Precor EFX546 or the Life Fitness 9500 HR Rear Drive. This would be for my home gym. What is the most you would pay for these machines.

The Precor EFX546 does not have the movable arm handles but does have a ramp that adjusts the height. The pros for the Precor from my research would be that this is a true commercial grade machine and is very solidly build, and the adjustable ramp. The downside that I can see with this one is that I understand that it is 30" wide which will make it a challenge getting it in the basement although it will fit through the door. Which one is more durable and would you have less issues with in terms of repair. Would one be more expensive than the other to repair.

If anyone could please let me know what your experience has been with these machines I would appreciate it. The other issue I have is my ceiling is around 87" high (basement unfinished) so this is to the joists. I believe both of these machines should be okay.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

David

lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lifefitness is the best. However you have to try them out. I went to a 2ndwind exercise store. I hated the octane. Lifefitness was okay. However i loved the pacemaster. Its all about feel.

My friend had a precor. He had alot of problems with the ramp. There'e more that can go wrong with a precor then a lifefitness.
    Lifts:

Squat- Bar
    Bench- Bar
    Dead- Bar

goals for 2008. adding collars to the bar.

bigdave07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for letting me know. I had read really positive things on the Precor. The other thing is that I think the Life Fitness 9500HR Rear Drive will be easier to transport into my house. I just sold my old elliptical that I had bought about 8 to 10 years ago which was manual and had a manual resistance knob. I just didn't find it was stable enough. Has anyone else used both of these?

David

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think this really comes down to personal preference. I was a member of a World's Gym that had the Precors and then a member of a Gold's Gym that had the Lifefitness. In my opinion they had different stride patterns. My preference (from limited use) was for the Lifefitness. My wife's preference (from very heavy use) was the Precor. Guess which one we bought for our home?

We have owned the Precor for about 5 or 6 years and have never had any problems with it.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When it comes to the high end Precor and Life Fitness models, there is no "best". They both have the same positive traits that make an elliptical a great machine. The only difference is the feel and what features you prefer. I prefer the Precor because I dislike the moving arms and the motion is most comfortable for me.

TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TKDC1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have Precor EFX 546 (I also have a basement door that is 30" wide). My wife and I love the machine-the handles came off pretty easily and there were no problems fitting it through the door...but it is heavy and you'll need another person to help carry it. The height of your basement is fine...mine is about 92" high and there seems to be plenty of room.

I paid $550 for mine through a Craig's List sale...I had considered buying something reconditioned from a used gym equipment facility and they were running anywhere between $1000-$1500 so I'm glad I got lucky on Craig's List. I haven't any problems so far so I'm not sure about the cost of repair or maintenance.

Originally Posted by bigdave07 View Post
    If you were going to get an elliptical. Would you get the Precor EFX546 or the Life Fitness 9500 HR Rear Drive. This would be for my home gym. What is the most you would pay for these machines.

The Precor EFX546 does not have the movable arm handles but does have a ramp that adjusts the height. The pros for the Precor from my research would be that this is a true commercial grade machine and is very solidly build, and the adjustable ramp. The downside that I can see with this one is that I understand that it is 30" wide which will make it a challenge getting it in the basement although it will fit through the door. Which one is more durable and would you have less issues with in terms of repair. Would one be more expensive than the other to repair.

If anyone could please let me know what your experience has been with these machines I would appreciate it. The other issue I have is my ceiling is around 87" high (basement unfinished) so this is to the joists. I believe both of these machines should be okay.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

David