Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MAkid435 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many grams of fat per day?

I searched the forum and all over the internet and keep getting so many different answers. So I figured I would post here.

Right now, I just have a small amount of fat left on my lower stomach, maybe 1 pound. Been working out for a month or so and its gotten to 1 pound from about 3-4 pounds. Iv been eating about 40-50g of fat per day. I wiegh aprox. 130 pounds and am 5' 10''. Im trying to loose this small amount of fat faster, so how do I do this. Should I cut my grams of fat even more? I don't want to get skinnier, just loose the fat. I run about 1 mile a day, recently. Also I wieght train for about 35-50 min 4 times a week with the running I also eat lots of fruit, cheeses, roast beef, steak and other green vegies. I recently have been taking Muscle Milk.

So my real question is. Should I cut my fat grams intake. Idk, I just wanna loose this stomach fat fast, going to Florida in a few weeks, wanna look cut.

haha,
    thanks.

eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50) eafusion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. The fact that fats are calorie-dense and you went over your caloric maintenance is why you gain fat.

You need to find your caloric maintenance (amount of calories you eat to maintain at your weight). Eat 500 or so calories under that and you will lose weight. The amount of fat grams you eat are irrelevant by themselves, it's the whole picture that you need to look at. A fat gram is 9 calories, but carbs and protein are 4. Those macronutrients can make you fat as well.

Edit: Using logic, since consuming fat doesn't automatically make you fat, reducing fat intake will not automatically make you leaner. Check your diet and make your decision there.

wow, thanks... so what your saying is that fat grams has nothing to do with my belly at all? I can just eat bellow my caloric maint. and lose wieght, obv. im not going to eat 200g of fat a day, or could I? lol..?

Slowly getting bigger!! dkemano42's Avatar
    dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MAkid435 View Post
    wow, thanks... so what your saying is that fat grams has nothing to do with my belly at all? I can just eat bellow my caloric maint. and lose wieght, obv. im not going to eat 200g of fat a day, or could I? lol..?
    A good rule of thumb is 20 to 25 % of diet for fat intake.

DK
    "After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done will have been done!"

for me to lose weight right? so that means that 20-25 percent of the "calories from fat" of my total calories should be so... when it says calories from fat, does that mean there are so many calories in the food per serving from fat because of the fat in grams or is it part of the total calories, or do you add it to the total calories, iv always been confused by the nutritional value charts... lol

thanks btw

Registered User Ripped Force138's Avatar
    Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ripped Force138 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dkemano42 View Post
    A good rule of thumb is 20 to 25 % of diet for fat intake.

DK
    this is an interesting thread because I am trying to drop about 15 more lbs and have been wondering if eating 40-60g worth of fat from walnuts and almonds (raw, spaced out in 2-3 servings throughout different intervals of the day) were making it difficult for me to lose weight or not. Also what is the verdict on bedtime EFA's and dieting? I know you take em when trying to gain muscle but if youre just trying to lose fat how about then?
    Get swole or die tryin!!!

Virginia licensed Attorney
    NASM CPT certified
    Crossfit certified
    Official Powerlifting Raw totals: 529/350/620 -1433lb total (kilo conversion to lbs)

Originally Posted by Ripped Force138 View Post
    this is an interesting thread because I am trying to drop about 15 more lbs and have been wondering if eating 40-60g worth of fat from walnuts and almonds (raw, spaced out in 2-3 servings throughout different intervals of the day) were making it difficult for me to lose weight or not. Also what is the verdict on bedtime EFA's and dieting? I know you take em when trying to gain muscle but if youre just trying to lose fat how about then?

I also have the same question... things like almonds and walnuts and peanuts contain a lot of fat, but apparently are good for you. I stay away because I see the g of fat, idk im just confused...

sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Remember guys, there are different types of fat:

Saturated fats (bad)
    Poly-unsaturated (good)
    Mono-unsaturated (good)

As a general rule, stay away from Saturated fats (e.g. pre-cooked burgers, fast food), and eat good fats (e.g. fatty fish - Omega 3s, for example, Salmon, Mackarel).

Most people advocate 40/40/20 splits - 20% of calories from fat.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your 5'10" and 130 lbs and you want to lose weight?

You are in serious need of some muscle.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

lol, yes, i know... im trying to gain muscle, just dont wanna gain fat.

sin208 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

if you want to get leaner and lose the fat, i suggest you replace the roast beef with grilled chicken breast in your diet because roast beef is high in cholestrol, and reduce your calorie intake, if for example your daily calorie intake is 2000 per day reduce it to 1800 the more you reduce it the faster it will be for you lose the fat, and keep your protein as normal you should take around 120g of protein each day, protein helps you burn the fat and if you already have muscle it will prevent muscle loss, the key thing to keep in mind reduce your calorie intake.

Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sureshk View Post

Saturated fats (bad)
    Poly-unsaturated (good)
    Mono-unsaturated (good)

As a general rule, stay away from Saturated fats (e.g. pre-cooked burgers, fast food), and eat good fats (e.g. fatty fish - Omega 3s, for example, Salmon, Mackarel).

Wrong, saturated fats are good for you.
    We all come from humble beginnings.

Studies everywhere tell you everything, listen to your body instead and you'll succeed.

" So you're thinking that you're all that, and then some...man I got news for you..."

Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol, yes, i know... im trying to gain muscle, just dont wanna gain fat.
    Keep your protein intake up, nothing crazy like 200 grams but 100 grams to 130 grams should do it for you. Also to gain muscle and not too much fat, clean bulk, meaning just add a few calories to your diet until you start to gain size slowly. If worst comes to worst and you gain some fat, you can always cut back down.
    We all come from humble beginnings.

Studies everywhere tell you everything, listen to your body instead and you'll succeed.

" So you're thinking that you're all that, and then some...man I got news for you..."

jstrongdc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've seen the 15% up to 25% coming from daily macros. But does anyone know if there's a particular amount of fat per lbs or per kg of lean body weight? Kind of like how we figure out our protein intake by looking at the grams per pounds of weight?

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ripped Force138 View Post
    I also have the same question... things like almonds and walnuts and peanuts contain a lot of fat, but apparently are good for you. I stay away because I see the g of fat, idk im just confused...
    Nuts are an extremely overrated body building food especially when cutting.

- They have a very high calorie density and a very low volume. (Meaning they suck for keeping you full)
    - The protein from nuts is an incomplete protein
    - The average American already has poor Omega 3 to 6 ratios, the omega 3s in nuts don't help
    - The protein to calorie ratio in nuts is god awful
    - To maintain Test levels you need a saturated fat that nuts do not provide

**** nuts....... Eat some bacon and a steak you'll be happier.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jstrongdc View Post
    I've seen the 15% up to 25% coming from daily macros. But does anyone know if there's a particular amount of fat per lbs or per kg of lean body weight? Kind of like how we figure out our protein intake by looking at the grams per pounds of weight?
    .3-.5g/lb of body weight
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000) Danielbednarz2 is just really nice. (+1000)
    At least, over 9000.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At 5'10 130lbs you are going to look skinny and bad.

Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Naeem11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I feel a strong bump in the force.
    "I think, therefore I am" - René Descartes

AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlexJeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. At 5'10 and 130 pounds, your biggest worry right now is gaining at least 30 pounds, not losing fat. Trust me, the couple months of belly fat will be worth the arms and chest. Abs will have their time, but right now is not the time.

2. But if you dont want to get really fat, which i agree, do a clean bulk. Go on a calorie calculator online (theyre fairly accurate) and go about 100-200 calories above your recommended intake. You should a fairly high amount of carbs but good carbs! Especially a couple hours before and after your workout. Just avoid eating carbs at night to avoid an insulin spike, which will cause fat storage right before you go to sleep.

But back to the fats, they are very important. "Low fat diets" dont work. When your body eats more fat, it becomes more effective at breaking it down. I would say anywhere between 50-70 g of fat a day is more than sufficient. Avocados, tuna, salmon, walnuts, almonds, edamame. Just be careful getting your fats from nuts, bc they are VERY high in calories. (1/4 of a cup of walnuts had 200 calories... Whoa!)

Hope this helps!

activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) activeseven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Electricheadd View Post
    .3-.5g/lb of body weight
    This.

zwill20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eat less carbs more protein and more fat in diet. Any excess carbs are stored as fat whereas fat is used as energy quicker than carbs. Your body doesn't need that many carbs. Some places suggest around 250 grams of carbs per day. Also, look into flax seed oil, fish oil, CLA, Green Tea, and chia seeds. After reading decide which ones you want to incorporate in your diet. Saturated fats are not "bad fats" and cholesterol can be good for you as well. And of course regular exercise. I recently started upping my fat intake and I eat a lot less carbs than I have ever before and increased the protein as well and I have seen a great amount of progress and that irritating last bit of fat is finally going away

I'd rather be riding! sourmash1973's Avatar
    sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000) sourmash1973 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only two things I track are total calories and protein. As long as I eat below my daily calorie allowance and get 1g of protein per Lb of LBM, where the rest of my macros fall, I don't really care. It works for me.
    Beginning Weight (1/13/2013)- 245

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister

"Death created time to grow the things it would kill." -Rust Cohle

5 reason you may not be losing weight/have hit a plateau. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160842471

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to start bulking ASAP. 5' 10" and 130 is insane. I'm two inches shorter than you, but I've got 20 pounds on you with my LBW alone.

"Fats" don't make you gain fat. Going over your calorie limit makes you gain fat. Also, in terms of fat loss, there are no good or bad fats -- it's all the same. If you get all your fat from fried chicken and french fries, you'll lose weight just the same as someone that gets all their fat from nuts and avocado -- so long as you both maintain the same calorie deficit.

Also, as mentioned, start bulking some. That'll help you with your "stubborn" fat. Right now, you probably look borderline emaciated, so any remaining fat sticks out like a sore thumb. If you gain muscle mass, though, your body will expand and that "stubborn" fat won't be noticeable anymore.

PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PrinceofBajans has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick note OP, ignore the broscience by posters #20 and 22. You can eat carbs whenever you damn please, that insulin spike nonsense has no affect on body composition as long as your macros are in check.

And no excess carbs won't be stored as fat, excess calories period will be stored as at regardless of their source. That goes for protein, carbs or fat.

dominiclobban has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I just need to correct you.

Saturated fats are good!

Saturated fat contains medium chain triglycerides and provides the body with a readily available source of energy.

Oleic acid, because it contains one double bond, is also referred to as mono-unsaturated. Fatty acids that have multiple double bonds, like linoleic acid in the first figure, are called polyunsaturated.

Because poly-unsaturated fat is solid at room temperature, it is hydrogenated so that it will remain liquid at room temperature. That is, you saturate it with hydrogen by breaking the carbon double bonds and attaching hydrogen.

Saturated fats (bad)
    Poly-unsaturated (good)
    Mono-unsaturated (good)

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PrinceofBajans View Post
    Quick note OP, ignore the broscience by posters #20 and 22.
    He's gonna ignore everyone. He posted 5 years ago.
    May 3 - 183 ; May 10 - 181; May 17 - 181; May 24 - 181; May 30 - 178.5 ; Jun 7 - 176.5; Jun 14 - 174.5; Jun 20 - 173;
    Jun 28 - 172.5; July 5th - 171; July 12th - 171; July 19 - 170;

Kalinez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Saturated fats (bad)
    Poly-unsaturated (good)
    Mono-unsaturated (good)

That's true, but i would recomend, intake of some satured fats from diary (like milk, greek yogurt, light cheese and etc) for males since it helps for testosterone boost level which increases strength and other benefits

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mavajo View Post
    You need to start bulking ASAP. 5' 10" and 130 is insane. I'm two inches shorter than you, but I've got 20 pounds on you with my LBW alone.
    Lol, that's cute. I thought I had 150 lbs of LBM back then. I wish.
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) ir0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by davidolson22 View Post
    He's gonna ignore everyone. He posted 5 years ago.
    ^This... I Loled hard. thanks.
    Start - 183
    Current - 156.5
    Goal - 154.3
    To lose - 2.2
    Wt. lost - 26.5

17/08: 183.0|22/08: 180.3|28/08: 179.0 - Total: 4.0 lbs
    14/09: 177.0|20/09: 177.0|26/09: 173.3 - Total: 3.7 lbs
    -----October: In bed because of fever----- Total: 8.6 lbs :'(
    07/11: 166.7|21/11: 162.7|28/11: 162.4 - Total: 4.3 lbs
    05/12: 161.8|13/12: 160.0|19/12: 161.5 - Total: 0.9 lbs
    -------------------- January and February - Total: 5.0 lbs