josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000)

Tax question for trainers who write of "image maintenance" expenses

Are any of your trainers/fitness-models/competitors writing of groceries, supps, fitness magazines, and other questionable stuff on your taxes for the sake of "looking the part" or "maintaining the fitness image" ?

Before I decide to do to a tax professional, I wanted to get some of your tips, tricks and opinions on this. I'm about to do my taxes but hear that there are ways to write off your expenses on the itemized deduction portion rather than a Schedule C. I want to keep my pre-gross adjusted income high but still be able to write off my expenses so that my taxable income is lower. I wish I'd done this the past 5 years ! ! ! !

PM would be greatly appreciated]
    Josie "TRAINER JO" Dalton

Site: http://www.TrainerJo.com
    Talk Show: coming back soon
    FB: http://www.********.com/lasvegastrainerjo
    IG: @Ms.Trainer.Jo
    Google Plus: COMING SOON
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/trainerjo
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mstrainerjo

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    We've tried it in previous years. It doesn't fly.

Things like supplements and things that help us "look the part" aren't necessities for our job. They aren't on our job description as trainers. Whilst we may believe that looking the part is important in this industry, it's not actually a requirement, and regardless "looking the part" is a relative phrase open for interpretation.

They're things we take because we want to, not because we have to.

Same goes for groceries and magazines. Magazines are for your interest only. It's a hobby. They aren't job requirements. Groceries are just that. Just because we may eat healthier, doesn't mean we're entitled to anything extra. For all they care, we can eat like **** if we want.

konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50) konkapot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Josephine I tried to PM you but it you've got some type of setting to your profile that doesn't allow PMs.

I do a different kind of training for a living, but I too claim stuff for work that is not, strictly speaking, "required" for my job but allows me to do my job better.

A job related expense does NOT have to be required by your employer. Lots of misinformation out there.

Go to the Instructions for Schedule A, Page 9. They give specific instructions for Line 21.

Quoting directly from the IRS here:

"An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your field of trade, business, or profession. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your business. An expense does not have to be required to be considered necessary."

The key issue of course is that you can document the expenses AND that you don't exceed a ratio of income/business expense. If, for example, you make $30,000 per year but have $28,000 of deductions, that would probably be a problem.

Good luck.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    We've tried it in previous years. It doesn't fly.

Things like supplements and things that help us "look the part" aren't necessities for our job. They aren't on our job description as trainers. Whilst we may believe that looking the part is important in this industry, it's not actually a requirement, and regardless "looking the part" is a relative phrase open for interpretation.

They're things we take because we want to, not because we have to.

Same goes for groceries and magazines. Magazines are for your interest only. It's a hobby. They aren't job requirements. Groceries are just that. Just because we may eat healthier, doesn't mean we're entitled to anything extra. For all they care, we can eat like **** if we want.
    according to my accountant you can write off magazines because they are considered "reference materials" to our line of work........theres alot of gray area when it comes to this stuff....

josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm liking what I hear so far...but what i should have emphasized is how my expenses for fitness modeling and competitions might apply here. As the only reason why I ever did get into modeling was to promote my name as a fitness professional.. like advertising term "name branding". Anyone got any thoughts here?

And thank you for trying to PM me...didn't realize it was turned off

Thank you to everyone so far
    Josie "TRAINER JO" Dalton

Site: http://www.TrainerJo.com
    Talk Show: coming back soon
    FB: http://www.********.com/lasvegastrainerjo
    IG: @Ms.Trainer.Jo
    Google Plus: COMING SOON
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/trainerjo
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mstrainerjo

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Claim your supplements by saying they are your clients as part of their training packages

Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000) Baccaga is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is a case here where tanning oil was allowed to be written off as an expense, but meat and supplements were not:

http://www.walletpop.com/taxes/kipli...tax-deductions

Perhaps request that receipts are made for tanning products instead of supplements when making these purchases...
    I REP BACK (1K+); please write "REP BACK" in comment.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000)

hmmm

not sure...
    have written of sweatpants,t-shirts,sneakers as tax expenses
    if that helps any
    American College of Sports Medicine Certified Trainer
    (ACSM-CPT)

Aerobics & Fitness Association of America
    (AFAA-Certified PersonalTrainer)

Surprise yourself and unleash your potential!!!!!

my limits.... glove up and try to find them!!!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305434971&posted=1#post305434971

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One of my trainer friends was told how to get these tax breaks as business expenses by his accountant.

First you have to start a business. A sole-proprietorship will do (with the intent to sell health & fitness related products)...

Then you purchase all supplements, t-shirts, shorts, magazines (subscriptions), etc... through the business. You have to buy large wholesale amounts so expect to be selling some of these things to your clients or online (ebay). Keep all receipts.

Then the business "sells" the supplements, clothing, etc to you--on paper, no cash has to exchange hands, only receipts.

The Business gets to claim the supplements, clothing, magazines as business related expenses. You without a business, cannot do this...

BTW: The trainer I am talking about buys all his clothes through this method, so all he has is gym clothes and the case of Underarmour boxers he bought...
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com