Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skull Crushers.

JohnKnight14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skull Crushers.

I want to start doing this exercise but had a couple of questions on which head of the tricep is worked. Reason I ask is because I want to really stress the long head part of my tri's

1. Does angle of the bench (flat/incline/decline) put stress in different areas.
    2. Does hand grip (overhand or under) also play a role in stressing different areas
    3. Does arm placement play any role

thanks!

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It works them all to some degree.

To place more emphasis on the long head do it on an incline or upright or when flat draw your arms back like this : /\ [as opposed to the standard skulls like this /| ] : so the bar is lowered above your head.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally:

1) i like flat, i feelin incline and decline puts to much stress on my shoulders.
    2) i use an ez curl bar (plate loaded or pre-set) and have my hands close
    3) keep elbows in

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    some more advice, KNIGHT, sir, kindly consider doing a similar alternative, LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS, in which the bar goes behind your head, as you will find that for many people, not all, skull crushers are hell on the elbow because it stays in a fixed position the entire time........

DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaPlasurNDaPain is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    some more advice, KNIGHT, sir, kindly consider doing a similar alternative, LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS, in which the bar goes behind your head, as you will find that for many people, not all, skull crushers are hell on the elbow because it stays in a fixed position the entire time........
    Lying triceps extension also fixes your elbows, otherwise, you're doing it wrong.
    Just make sure your elbow is behind your head to begin with, your arms shouldn't be directly above, but at 45 degree angle with the ground, then lower, while your elbow is fixed, behind your head.

As for the head that's worked, I think if your elbows are tucked in, you'll hit mostly long head. The lateral is hit with flared elbows, as in when doing bench press.

all good advixce thank you all but no one spoke on grip style over or underhand style

Originally Posted by DaPlasurNDaPain View Post
    Lying triceps extension also fixes your elbows, otherwise, you're doing it wrong.
    Just make sure your elbow is behind your head to begin with, your arms shouldn't be directly above, but at 45 degree angle with the ground, then lower, while your elbow is fixed, behind your head.

As for the head that's worked, I think if your elbows are tucked in, you'll hit mostly long head. The lateral is hit with flared elbows, as in when doing bench press.
    I don't know from what i habve read tucked in to the body works the lateral as in pushdowns overhand grip. I am most likly wrong though lol.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnKnight14 View Post
    all good advixce thank you all but no one spoke on grip style over or underhand style
    Because it's irrelevant for the long head. Please use the search feature instead of expecting a spoon feeding. This same question is answered 10x a day.

Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    Because it's irrelevant for the long head. Please use the search feature instead of expecting a spoon feeding. This same question is answered 10x a day.

Um well sorry to say I am not on here every day to know that this has been posted alot. All that was needed was for you to say it was irrelevant. Thank you for the wasted post

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Skull crushers hit the whole tricep but more so the long head. Its the angles you put your arms in that change the area more hit and not so much the hand grip. Skull crushers hit mainly the long head. Kickbacks hit the top by the shoulder more etc... Try different angles with one arm and feel the tricep muscle with the free hand for the change of area that gets hit hardest. This will answer all of your questions.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Um well sorry to say I am not on here every day to know that this has been posted alot. All that was needed was for you to say it was irrelevant. Thank you for the wasted post
    if you had used the search feature you would have found quite a few good answers. he was suggesting it so you dont waste your time bro. but as for your original question just try the different advice you got and see where you feel the different ecercises. GL
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

Originally Posted by MAPjunky View Post
    if you had used the search feature you would have found quite a few good answers. he was suggesting it so you dont waste your time bro. but as for your original question just try the different advice you got and see where you feel the different ecercises. GL
    Agreed I should have did a better search but for him to just assume I did not search and came here for a free hand out oh sorry to be "spoon feed" was a rude comment IMO. But back to topic, I will try all the advice Thanks for the help man.

SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000) SkeetSkeet is just really nice. (+1000)
    I cant stress this part enuff....use an EZ bar and grip it close in the middle. It'll keep you from having to balance a straight bar and keeping your hands alligned equal. Skulls is by far my best exercise, and you gotta get them in your workout IMO as long as they arent too hard on your elbows
    "Don't cry over bagged milk"
    - Huge Jazz

CBMC
    Canadian Bag Milk Crew

~No-Avi Crew~

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agreed I should have did a better search but for him to just assume I did not search and came here for a free hand out oh sorry to be "spoon feed" was a rude comment IMO. But back to topic, I will try all the advice Thanks for the help man.
    The only crappy question is the one left unasked.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by subpolarbear View Post
    The only crappy question is the one left unasked.
    Not true.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Not true.
    Maybe, but its a good quote. Kind of like this one. Confuscious say that man who walks through turnstyle sideways will only get to Bangkok.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP....Dumbbells can also be used. They can help alleviate stress on the elbows.

I suggest experimenting with different grips and lines of push that best gives you a feel for the tris (especially the long head). Usually the best teacher is practical experience.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Maybe, but its a good quote. Kind of like this one. Confuscious say that man who walks through turnstyle sideways will only get to Bangkok.
    Man who fish in other man's well, often catch crabs.
    Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Man who fish in other man's well, often catch crabs.
    Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.
    nice. How about man who falls asleep with itchy ass, wake up with smelly finger.

rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rockchalk420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is my favorite exercise for triceps. I use a BB with added weight. I prefer to do my flat though.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    nice. How about man who falls asleep with itchy ass, wake up with smelly finger.
    And bad breath from sucky thumb.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    not true!!! this is the beauty of true lying extensions, when doing them correctly....you DO allow a slight movement of the elbow joint....this is what makes them safer than skulls......

now, remember, a SLIGHT, otherwise, it will be more Lat than you want it to be.....

but this is almost like a cheat curl in a sense, because your LAT is what gets the bar moving initially, and thereby lessens the stress on the joint when it is in the most vulnerable position, then, the triceps takes over the rest of the movement.....

think of it, similar to shortening a ROM: as in , overhead pressing, where you limit the ROM to where only shoulder is working, as opposed to triceps and traps ( tris at the lowest position and traps at the extended position ).....

so, Lying triceps extensions allows a slight "cheat" at the beginning where your arms come forward slightly, assisted by the lats, and then your triceps finishes the movement.....

the idea is to avoid the most dangerous portion of the exercise, joint wise.....

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For the long head, these kinds of bars are awesome. They have a true hammer grip.

Time To Re-Schedule

I'm glad that Tyrbo posted this pic:

and I must add that this particular bar is also a fantastic substitute for a DB if you do heavy pullovers......by spacing the hands out that way, it takes pressure off of the shoulder joint which tends to get compressed with heavy DB pullovers......

it is a perfect example of the right bar for the right job...my home gym has countless ones with more to come! LOL.....

BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000) BrettT07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Another thing not mentioned, nor asked, but I feel it is relevant, is a thumbless grip can help MMC. At least it does for me. Similar to close grip bench press.

Just be careful and don't slip. I once slipped on close grip bench from the top and had to catch the bar with my forearms. God damn did that hurt like hell.

Edit- I have not used the hammer grip bar, so I do not know how thumbless would work on it. It doesn't seem like thumbless would work on it.
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Bench PRs: 315x2, 285x6, 275x9, 225x18

tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tomdip5 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BrettT07 View Post
    Another thing not mentioned, nor asked, but I feel it is relevant, is a thumbless grip can help MMC. At least it does for me. Similar to close grip bench press.

Just be careful and don't slip. I once slipped on close grip bench from the top and had to catch the bar with my forearms. God damn did that hurt like hell.

Edit- I have not used the hammer grip bar, so I do not know how thumbless would work on it. It doesn't seem like thumbless would work on it.
    thumbless for me helps as well, with skull crushers with the ez curl bar, bench press, close grip bench, lat pull downs and pullups

d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d16daily is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    definitely warm up your elbows good before doing skulls. I usually do them after cable pushdowns

but there are so many variations i would just tell you to try them all, and one of them will sync up and you will feel it

you can do them lying on a flat bench, incline, decline or seated (flat back or slight incline)

use an overhand grip, and keep your elbows tucked in, its ok if they flare out a "little bit" thats natural,

KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like to change it up. Sometimes flat, sometimes incline and sometimes seated like military press straight up and down.

Never actually tried decline

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    For the long head, these kinds of bars are awesome. They have a true hammer grip.

I wish my gym had that bar it would come in handy. I took all of your guys advice and did them today. I couldn't get the angles right with the angles of my arms right with the ez bar (incline or flat). So I did seated cable/ez bar extenstions . Again all good advice thank you now just have to work at them

erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) erokjenkins is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    not true!!! this is the beauty of true lying extensions, when doing them correctly....you DO allow a slight movement of the elbow joint....this is what makes them safer than skulls......

now, remember, a SLIGHT, otherwise, it will be more Lat than you want it to be.....

but this is almost like a cheat curl in a sense, because your LAT is what gets the bar moving initially, and thereby lessens the stress on the joint when it is in the most vulnerable position, then, the triceps takes over the rest of the movement.....

think of it, similar to shortening a ROM: as in , overhead pressing, where you limit the ROM to where only shoulder is working, as opposed to triceps and traps ( tris at the lowest position and traps at the extended position ).....

so, Lying triceps extensions allows a slight "cheat" at the beginning where your arms come forward slightly, assisted by the lats, and then your triceps finishes the movement.....

the idea is to avoid the most dangerous portion of the exercise, joint wise.....
    I like the way you think! repped