vmhockey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how often to workout arms?

I have been training arms as split muscle groups, biceps and triceps, once a week for a long time now. I have read that the arms may be worked more frequently than other muscle groups as they are smaller, my main goal right now is to increase the size of my arms, should I work them out more? One article in Men's Fitness even suggested up to 3 times a week. What do you think?
    And if so, where should i fit more arm workouts in?

This is my current schedule:

monday chest/tris
    tues off
    wed legs
    thurs off
    friday back/bis
    sat shoulders
    sun off

also I throw in abs about twice a week and calves 2-3 times a week
    Last edited by vmhockey; 03-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    "your lucky boy, cuse its spankin season and I've got a hankerin for a spankerin!" - the simpsons

Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Juan_Epstein is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vmhockey View Post
    my main goal right now is to increase the size of my arms, should I work them out more?

Since this is your main goal, I'm gonna say "yes."

danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    make sure to do like 50 sets of curls and 50 sets of triceps
    facial and body aesthetics coming soon...june 30th, follow me misc i wont let you down.

always pick 5

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can go up to 2 times a week but make sure you have 2 days of rest in between doing the arms. You probably want to change your whole arm routine as it seems you have become used to what you are doing. Without the rest for the muscles to heal you are robbing the full potential.

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you could throw some arm sets in at the end of leg day if you'd like, and everything would still be getting adequate rest.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10) eedre is on a distinguished road. (+10)

You could just follow Jax's example... oh right, technology not available...

Carry on

dave3687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I usually work them chest/tris and than back/bis..but sometimes i throw in a third day to work them out..arms heal pretty quick so 2-3 times a week works for me

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
    you could throw some arm sets in at the end of leg day if you'd like, and everything would still be getting adequate rest.
    This may work but I would not recommend it. Your body supplies whatever area your working out with nutrients and oxygen through the blood. If you do legs your body is going to have more blood flow to those muscles in your legs. If you do arms on that day you are trying to supply to opposite ends of your body. Ive read and believe in this myself and feel the difference if I dont follow this rule. Just an alternate opinion for you.

lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lslars31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think a lot of it is dependent on other factors like nutrition and rest. I used to work out arms a lot and they were slowly getting bigger, but then I got lazy and ended up lifting them less (as well as my entire body). Turns out they started growing faster! Not extreme faster, but I could tell a difference. I attribute this to the fact that my diet and sleep habits couldn't support how often I was lifting weights before.

Of course if I would have been eating and sleeping properly from the get go I would have been a super beast by now.

Nick

Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zay954 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cool

If your trying to increase the size of your arms your definitely gonna wanna hit them up more than once a week. I'm not sure how long you've been doing your current workout routine but i would recommend switching your split- with bi/back chest/tri your killing the opposite secondary muscle for your other workouts, making one of the other workouts not as dynamic. I would suggest you put biceps and triceps on the same day because of two reasons-you don't use either as a secondary workout in pure forms, second with doing this during your workout all blood flow runs to your arms transporting more nutrients allowing them to grow.
    Ex)
    day1-chest with legs or back or shoulders
    2-bicep/tricep
    3-two of either legs back shoulder
    4-bicep/tricep
    5-day1
    Bicep and tricep muscle tissues are smaller and can easily be repaired in 48 hours allowing you to work them out twice a week- But nutrition is also key and how your workout is intricated also.

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    something everybody needs to learn... only you can decide what is best for you! this takes time and trial & error. everyone is different. what works great for me my not for you.

having said that, most people that what to concentrate on the arms will give them a day to themselves, if you're doing a body split such as you are.

here is a possibly improved version of your routine..

mon chest and back
    wed legs
    fri shoulders and arms

vmhockey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks! appreciate the help
    "your lucky boy, cuse its spankin season and I've got a hankerin for a spankerin!" - the simpsons

Registered User CollinFrankford's Avatar
    CollinFrankford has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I use to have the same problem with arms going at different rates, what i found to be useful is to make sure that your form is perfect. With out perfect form you arnt maxing your results, make sure you do the same amout of reps with.each arm same amount of weight and good form and do a weight u can get 8~12 reps with. When it comes to arms i like to give about two days rest. But i also take pre workouts, amino acid(during work out) and post work outs"protien" which helps boost recovery time . Hopes this helps , good luck train hard!

Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50) Caperjay will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vmhockey View Post
    I have been training arms as split muscle groups, biceps and triceps, once a week for a long time now. I have read that the arms may be worked more frequently than other muscle groups as they are smaller, my main goal right now is to increase the size of my arms, should I work them out more? One article in Men's Fitness even suggested up to 3 times a week. What do you think?
    And if so, where should i fit more arm workouts in?

This is my current schedule:

monday chest/tris
    tues off
    wed legs
    thurs off
    friday back/bis
    sat shoulders
    sun off

also I throw in abs about twice a week and calves 2-3 times a week
    Your arms are two of the weakest muscles in the body, so why do you think for a second that they will lead to your muscular nirvana? I would hate to break it to you but all the hormones and muscle producing genes come from the legs, there is no muscle in the human body that produces more testostrone than the quadracepts, if you dont have big legs then your simply riding a chicken.
    Squat 650 , bench 405 , deadlit 665

Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100) Rjwb1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    try this if you want
    Monday whole arm : bicep/tricep
    Tues shoulders and chest
    Weds bicep/tricep
    Thurs shoulders and chest
    Fri bicep/tricep
    Sat: shoulders and chest
    Sunday off
    Last edited by Rjwb1; 11-07-2012 at 03:56 AM.

BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigJon131 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zay954 View Post
    If your trying to increase the size of your arms your definitely gonna wanna hit them up more than once a week. I'm not sure how long you've been doing your current workout routine but i would recommend switching your split- with bi/back chest/tri your killing the opposite secondary muscle for your other workouts, making one of the other workouts not as dynamic. I would suggest you put biceps and triceps on the same day because of two reasons-you don't use either as a secondary workout in pure forms, second with doing this during your workout all blood flow runs to your arms transporting more nutrients allowing them to grow.
    Ex)
    day1-chest with legs or back or shoulders
    2-bicep/tricep
    3-two of either legs back shoulder
    4-bicep/tricep
    5-day1
    Bicep and tricep muscle tissues are smaller and can easily be repaired in 48 hours allowing you to work them out twice a week- But nutrition is also key and how your workout is intricated also.
    Right on the money bro! I was starting to think nobody noticed this. I 100% agree w/NOT working your Tri's on Chest days. Especially if you are trying to build your arms. I would just like to add 1 thing: the tricep is a larger muscle than the bicep (bigger Tri's=bigger Arms). & don't forget; weight is irrelevant, proper form = Results. Good luck bud!

julioav8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IF you eat right, take your supplements and rest enough there is no such thing as over training, train as hard as you want no need for three days off during the week way too much time off..

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by julioav8 View Post
    IF you eat right, take your supplements and rest enough there is no such thing as over training, train as hard as you want no need for three days off during the week way too much time off..
    The OP is from 3+ years ago. I don't think he's around to read your 'advice' - thankfully.