mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Why can't I lose that last 2-3% of body fat?

So I used to be overweight about 3 years ago, I was 190lbs at 5'6. I got down to 140lbs 3 years ago and then ever since I have been bulking and cutting trying to achieve the body I want, I obviously have not haha. I know I should have probably just been bulking up that whole time but I get self-conscious and decide to lose weight (I was overweight my entire life). I am now 140lbs again but with a considerable more amount of muscle. The 140 that I started with and the 140 now is just an incredible difference.

Now my real problem is that I can't seem to get down to like 10% bf, Im probably somewhere between 12-14% now. My question to you is should I just stick with the current cut? Or should I bulk and stick with that? Is the reason I can't lose the last bit of fat because I don't have enough muscle?

If anyone can answers these questions for me I'd really appreciate it Thanks a lot.

mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mark2dx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    12-14% is a pretty good place to start bulking, gives you a decent amount of wiggle room to put some size on without getting too much of a gut.

At 5'6 140...not sure if cutting would be the best of ideas. It's quite possible that there isn't much left to cut down to, and you may end up losing mass if you continue to push your weight down further.

I would suggest bulking, putting on some size, and then cutting back down.

mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mjs21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mark2dx View Post
    12-14% is a pretty good place to start bulking, gives you a decent amount of wiggle room to put some size on without getting too much of a gut.

At 5'6 140...not sure if cutting would be the best of ideas. It's quite possible that there isn't much left to cut down to, and you may end up losing mass if you continue to push your weight down further.

I would suggest bulking, putting on some size, and then cutting back down.
    Yeah it seems like I hit 140 and then my body just stops losing fat. But I really want to lose these bastard love handles. I carry most of my fat there and not on my stomach. I just feel like I'm so close and if I bulk again it's going to be for a long time; not this 6 months and then give up thing I do anymore. I feel like I have to keep going for it and stick it out but it's tough.

bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its just your body type honestly. Bulk then cut again and Im sure you will look leaner at 12-14%. You may still have some love handles(alot of that is genetic) but atleast you wont look fat skinny.

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bluedo View Post
    Its just your body type honestly. Bulk then cut again and Im sure you will look leaner at 12-14%. You may still have some love handles(alot of that is genetic) but atleast you wont look fat skinny.
    This man is right on the money. Sometimes having little to no lean body mass will be your downfall in terms of trying to actually LOOK lean.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's not because you don't have enough muscle (although it may slow you down), it's because you aren't eating right or aren't lifting/cardio enough.
    Toxic Masculinity

sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey man I have the same body dimensions as you and I also have problems going below 14% body fat. When I increase the cardio to get myself out of the plateau, I just start losing muscle.

On my avatar I was at 14% body fat (about 2 weeks ago) when I increased the cardio, lost some of my arm circumference, freaked out, and took a break for a week and ate a lot.

Now I am at 15% BF, my arm circumference went back to normal (so the reduction might have been water or fat loss) and I'm going to try again, only with a milder deficit and more gradual adjustments.

Originally Posted by mjs21 View Post
    So I used to be overweight about 3 years ago, I was 190lbs at 5'6. I got down to 140lbs 3 years ago and then ever since I have been bulking and cutting trying to achieve the body I want, I obviously have not haha. I know I should have probably just been bulking up that whole time but I get self-conscious and decide to lose weight (I was overweight my entire life). I am now 140lbs again but with a considerable more amount of muscle. The 140 that I started with and the 140 now is just an incredible difference.

Now my real problem is that I can't seem to get down to like 10% bf, Im probably somewhere between 12-14% now. My question to you is should I just stick with the current cut? Or should I bulk and stick with that? Is the reason I can't lose the last bit of fat because I don't have enough muscle?

If anyone can answers these questions for me I'd really appreciate it Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by gixxer0.6g View Post
    It's not because you don't have enough muscle (although it may slow you down), it's because you aren't eating right or aren't lifting/cardio enough.
    Well I don't count my calories but I'm pretty good at estimating after years of counting I have things down pretty good. I'd say I eat anywhere from 1600-1900 a day. I think my diet is pretty good I usually get around 140 grams of protein a day with good amount of healthy fats and carbs. I lift 4 times a week and do cardio 4 times a week directly after lifting. I usually run for 20 minutes at like 5-7 mph.

K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500) K_J is not very helpful. (-500)
    Dude you have no idea how much you and I are alike. I used to be 195 lbs and I'm down to 140 now and I can't lose the damn little fat near my stomach.
    - "To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."

Originally Posted by sni2pal View Post
    Hey man I have the same body dimensions as you and I also have problems going below 14% body fat. When I increase the cardio to get myself out of the plateau, I just start losing muscle.

On my avatar I was at 14% body fat (about 2 weeks ago) when I increased the cardio, lost some of my arm circumference, freaked out, and took a break for a week and ate a lot.

Now I am at 15% BF, my arm circumference went back to normal (so the reduction might have been water or fat loss) and I'm going to try again, only with a milder deficit and more gradual adjustments.
    Judging from your picture at 14% I'm definitely closer to 14-15%. If I'm around there I definitely need to bulk because whenever I hit 140lbs it's like my body just can't go any lower. I feel like I'll never get to 10% the way I'm going now, i'd probably have to be 125-130lbs which ain't gonna happen.

I feel like I look really soft which at this weight can't be a good thing. I would think at 140lbs I'd be pretty hard but that's not the case. I think I'm going to try and slowly bulk up.

Originally Posted by K_J View Post
    Dude you have no idea how much you and I are alike. I used to be 195 lbs and I'm down to 140 now and I can't lose the damn little fat near my stomach.
    Yeah it sucks no matter what I do I can't lose it. If I really restrict my cals at this weight I just start to lose muscle so it's like I have no choice but to try and gain some serious mass and then hopefully the fat will come off a lot easier.

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mjs21 View Post
    Well I don't count my calories but I'm pretty good at estimating after years of counting I have things down pretty good. I'd say I eat anywhere from 1600-1900 a day. I think my diet is pretty good I usually get around 140 grams of protein a day with good amount of healthy fats and carbs. I lift 4 times a week and do cardio 4 times a week directly after lifting. I usually run for 20 minutes at like 5-7 mph.
    lolz, maybe this plateau will force you to count eh?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...81&postcount=1

Rob calorie calculator, try it out!

sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sni2pal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Man, I would strongly recommend that you do count your calories and even get a kitchen scale. You might be surprized to find out that you are overeating or undereating.

Man, I would strongly recommend that you do count your calories and even get a kitchen scale. You might be surprized to find out that you are overeating or undereating.
    Yeah I used to count everything and it just got so tedious and really made me hate life haha. I can't do that stuff anymore it was taking over my life having to be so precise all the time. I really can't go back to that lifestyle.

conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50) conwaylucas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well heres what I have learned. after losing a lot of weight, you become scared of bulking cause you dont want to go back to that "thing" I understand... i was there. But you know now how to lose the weight and you could do it again and again forever if needed.

so up your cals and do a serious bulk. after gaining about 20lbs do a cut again and repeat until desired hawtness.

Proud Member of the "I lost 100 Pounds Club"!

My Transformation Thread:
    .... new one coming soon!

rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50) rainierb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got stuck in a plateau a year ago. Here's what I did. I began doing my cardio in the morning just before work and then lift after I got off of work. I know it might be difficult to change your schedule in the morning but try it out for 2 weeks. quick question are you taking BCAA and glutamine? Some people run in the morning with an empty stomach,take 5 grams of BCAA (xtend is a great product) and Glutamine before and after your run. This helps prevent any muscle loss while cutting and doing high intensity cardio. also, maybe adding lipo 6 or hydroxycut hardcore. help this helps

Have you been keeping track of your lean body mass? It's difficult to say what's going on without knowing how many calories you are eating and how your weight and lean body mass are changing. Can you post your workouts.

Don't give up so easily, there are many things you can try. Here are a few if your lean body mass and weight have been stuck for a while:
    - doing cardio more frequently
    - eating more frequently
    - keeping the deficit the same, while increasing cardio and eating more (both speed up the metabolism)
    - carb cycling
    - increasing your protein to carb ratio
    - you can even try keto

I wouldn't give up if I were you (I am you in a way since I have similar body composition and I have the same problem). I'll just keep trying different things for about 1 more month before I start bulking. For how long have you been on a caloric deficit?

Have you been keeping track of your lean body mass? It's difficult to say what's going on without knowing how many calories you are eating and how your weight and lean body mass are changing. Can you post your workouts.

Don't give up so easily, there are many things you can try. Here are a few if your lean body mass and weight have been stuck for a while:
    - doing cardio more frequently
    - eating more frequently
    - keeping the deficit the same, while increasing cardio and eating more (both speed up the metabolism)
    - carb cycling
    - increasing your protein to carb ratio
    - you can even try keto

I wouldn't give up if I were you (I am you in a way since I have similar body composition and I have the same problem). I'll just keep trying different things for about 1 more month before I start bulking. For how long have you been on a caloric deficit?
    I really appreciate all the attention you are giving my questions I don't usually get that on here very often.

I've been cutting for about 3 months probably and have lost 15-20lbs. I've only been running for the last 3 weeks, before that I was either walking or not doing any cardio.

As far as workouts go I do a normal split everything is pretty standard. The only thing is I haven't lifted legs for months because I was having serious problems/pain because of really bad muscle strains I couldn't even squat down for months let alone lift any weight. So I gave up lifting legs to let everything heal up. I'm going to start back up though because all the pain is gone now thankfully. Instead of legs I've been having an arms day to give my 4 days a week.

I am pretty soft though and i've never had big lifts..I haven't tried in a long time but I doubt I can bench my own body weight.

I really don't know what to do I'm going on vacation in 3 months and I really wanted to look half way decent so I'm hesitant to start bulking now.