jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

L4 L5 herniated disc exercise help

just got back mri and doctor said had a herniated disc was wondering what kind of exercise i could do that want throw it out any more like for legs and abs thanks for the help

Registered User Javelin Thrower's Avatar
    Javelin Thrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

walking lunges

I currently have an L5-S1 herniated disc and can no longer do squats. I have been struggling to find leg exercises that I can do, but the best thing I have tried is walking lunges. The trick is to drag your back foot so that all your weight is on your front leg as you push off the ground. I do these in sets of about 50 meters or so.

lsc91se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What I found helped in my case (I just had a slight bulge in a disk, and degenerated discs) is doing light weight leg presses. When I would let the weight come down, I would allow my lower back to curve a bit (Not an ideal thing to do but with light weights its not a problem) aka my butt would lift a bit off the back pad. I would then push the weight starting with pushing my butt back against the back pad. By doing that I got my lower disks slight movement and it really helped me feel better. I also did ab work on a ab lounge XL which was really nice since it took all the pain out of my entire back and focused everything on my abs.

Changing how you sleep can help. I am a stomach sleeper and that causes problems with my back to this day. I make sure I have the best posture I can. Overall you should be ok and just take it easy.

jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jxpop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Javelin Thrower View Post
    I currently have an L5-S1 herniated disc and can no longer do squats. I have been struggling to find leg exercises that I can do, but the best thing I have tried is walking lunges. The trick is to drag your back foot so that all your weight is on your front leg as you push off the ground. I do these in sets of about 50 meters or so.
    thanks for the help does it fell like your walking more on one side then the other also are you able to do sit ups like legs raises and hanging knee raises. can it be fixed some one was telling me a epidural shoot would help

ThisIsYourLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThisIsYourLife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a L4/L5 bulging disc. This resulted from me apparently having scoliosis in my lower back, also having a lower back that curves more than most people (just genetic), and doing heavy leg presses. I can't do heavy leg presses or squats anymore. From now on I'm only going to do squats with only the bar, and then maybe eventually light leg press. I will also focus more on leg isolation exercises--leg extensions and hamstring curls. It's definitely a bummer
    BTW doing leg lifts for the abs on the captains chair also irritates my bulging disc problem....

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Which exercises are safe for those with disc problems is a very individualized thing.

Your primary concern should be to not round (as in flexion) your lower back. Make sure to keep it flat or slightly arched (extension) during each and every exercise.

But as a general rule, those with an acute herniation often cannot tolerated squats or deadlifts. However, if taken care of, the injury usually subsides over time... even to the point where one can do squats and deadlifts IF done properly.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

thenxtgrt1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a herniation at L5-S1. My advice is to do as much research as you can. I've done quite a bit of reading but it's been well worth it. It's also good to talk to others who have been down this road. I'm sure you are like most, and want to avoid surgery if at all possible. With the right plan in place, I feel it's highly possible.

There are numerous therapies and treatment protocols available. There's chiropractic care and various methods that can be considered to fall under that umbrella such as traction and Vax-D. Folks have also had success with accupuncture. And something that I've heard a lot of positive reviews about is massage thereapy. The important thing is to stay positive and realize that you can heal.

thanks everybody for the help also wondering im very achieve like most of you should a take some weeks off and do nothing so it can heal or should i just workout and say away from the exercises that hurt it because alot of people tell me to do that put dont know for sure if its good are bad thanks again everyone