Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stellaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quit smoking without using any medication

Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don?t have much faith in medications.

ChewieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes course it is. I quit on 3rd Jan, cold turkey. Been smoking since I was at school. Dont even think about the cigs now. Pub smoking ban was a help here too.

I never really felt that I was chemically addicted though, for me it was an enjoyable habbit. I guess I smoked around 15 a day.

Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Stellaa View Post
    Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don?t have much faith in medications.
    It a switch in the brain that you can turn off or on! LOL
    No bull****! I can go a week to a year without a cigarette.
    I've gone five years without smoke, but if unintentionally hit that switch, back to puffing!
    Beware of the "Triggers" that will cause you to want to smoke.
    Last edited by Taichichuan; 02-27-2009 at 04:15 AM.

do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250) do1more has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Certainly its possible. I used to smoke 2 packs a day. 3 years ago I was "ready" to quit, and did so. Just me.

I think the trick is you have to be ready and want to make the lifestyle change for it to work.
    Good Luck. You can do this. It is easier than you ever imagined. You will look back in 6 months and wonder why you did not do this sooner?
    Everything Changes

ChewieT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes thats exactly right, its no good trying to quit unless you are 100 % certain that thats what you want. Its all in the head, you need to make your mind up, be absolutely committed to your decision, no wavering or thinking the odd one wont hurt. Just quit and then think of yourself as a non smoker. If someone asks you if you want a cigarette, the first thing that comes into you head should not be, no thanks I quit, but no thanks I dont smoke.

sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sybaris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Smoked since I was 16. The last time I quit was 5 years ago. Started and stopped several times before that. The worst bout of quitting was while using one of those crutches. Cold turkey is the way to go. The first 3 days are a bitch.

warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Yes it's possible

Sure it can be done, I am living proof!

My wife quit 4 months ago cold turkey and I am still breathing! I did remove all the guns, knives and rope in the house first.
    Be accountable

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I used to say, that there's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. I can no longer say that.
    Last edited by dbx; 02-27-2009 at 06:20 AM.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    I used to say, that there's no such thing as a stupid question of you don't know the answer. I can no longer say that.
    I quit last April, cold turkey. The first 3 days were hard, and the first month I had to make sure I stayed away from them. Now I can be around smokers and it doesn't bother me that much. And your lifts will go through the roof!
    Currently try to cut down to 10% bodyfat
    1/20/2011 - 205.8 lbs - ~21%

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cold turkey January 1, 1995. All through December 1994 I psyched myself up that I would be smoke-free on Jan. 1. You have to decide to do it, when you are ready.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You dont need anything to stop smoking, just set a goal and do it. After 3 days you will be fine.

You have to suffer some discomfort, thats just the way it is.

If you cant do that then try some patch or something. They only delay the problem.

3 days. Suck it up tell yourself no and thats it.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years and walked away. Just make a decision and stick to it.

Or keep smoking, stinking and being a social outcast, all the while knowing that you are too weak to control your own life and leave in the hands of a giant tobacco company. Its your choice.

Dont make a big issue out of it, just put it out and walk away.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's up to you ... I did it, I got the patches and never used them
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I chewed tobacco for 16 years and quit cold turkey 255 days ago today. I still have dreams of 'caving' at least once a week and I wake up feeling sick to my stomach of the thought.

Best advice I can give is anyone can quit when they want to but don't sit around waiting for that day to come when all of a sudden it's easy to be quit. Just tell yourself it's going to be hard and then embrace the suck cause it does suck but it's worth it.

Just like that last rep of the set that hurts and sucks so bad but you actually love it anyway. Quitting should be like that. Something that hurts and sucks but you do it because you can.

Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wanted to quit for so long but continued to put it off until I found a "good" time to quit. Finally at my yearly physical I asked the Dr. for a Chantix script. I went to the drug store and found it was going to cost me around $140 to fill the script.

I'm not the brightest light in the string but I thought "F@#* - I'm gonna spend $140 to quit? - I gotta try this on my own". Quit Jan 6th 2008. Had a few bad days but overall it's been pretty easy.

Good Luck
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. -A. R. Bernard

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
    Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to say, that there's no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. I can no longer say that.
    WOW!!! Really inspirational!!!

Peace...
    God is always with me and I'll never give up...

blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50) blopid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is no question that it is possible... It is as difficult as it is easy... It's like eating right & working out, it's all in your mind... I KNOW that smoking is a physical addiction, but so is sugar although it's not usually thought of that way. If you really want to do it, I mean YOU really want to do it, you CAN & you WILL... Sometimes will power is not strong enough, so there are things out there that help, but nothing is more powerful than the mind... Best to you...

Peace...

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by blopid View Post
    WOW!!! Really inspirational!!!

Peace...
    31 years old...smokes....and their first post here is to ask if it's possible to quit smoking without medication? . The OP needs a lot more than inspiration. What kind of education are our fellow citizens getting these days, for Christ sake? F'cking scary!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) woodlake has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes it can be done. Ive been smoke free for 6 months, no nicotine gum or any other drugs. You can do it too, good luck.
    It may be a small world but I'd hate to have to paint it.

"The difference between failure and success is doing a thing nearly right and doing a thing exactly right." Edward Simmons ...

What kind of education are our fellow citizens getting these days, for Christ sake? F'cking scary!
    I have to agree with you on this point... My wife is a teacher, NY Board of Ed... I can't tell you how incredibly scary it is to hear the things she tells me about the students & how lost some of them are... Still, there are people who need more help than others... Why not help if you have something to offer? No? Just sayn'...

Peace...
    Last edited by blopid; 02-27-2009 at 02:34 PM.

I have to agree with you on this point... My wife is a teacher NY Board of Ed... I can't tell you how incredibly scary it is to hear the things she tells me about the students & how lost some of them are... Still, there are people who need more help than others... Why not help if you have something to offer? No? Just sayn'... ;-)
    Because I'd rather thin the herd. You know, let Darwinism work?

And yes, I'm quite serious. The gene pool here has already been watered down enough over the past 2yrs. I will simply not encourage some to stay here.

And yes, I'm quite serious. The gene pool here has already been watered down enough over the past 2yrs. I will simply not encourage some to stay here.
    Wow... Sounds pretty self righteous to me... (no offense intended...) I don't think that intolerance is the way to go... I think, patience and education is much better... You can't play Darwin anymore... To many factors in our society... Survival of the fittest will never fly in our day and age... So, tolerance and education will work better IMHO...

Sorry to all to have gotten off the topic... Back to not smoking...

Peace...

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    I smoked a pack and a half a day for more than 10 years. I quit several times for months at a time using various methods - cigarrest, the gum, and the patches.

The time I finally quit for good, I didn't use anything - just went cold turkey. I had just decided that time that it was all up to me to choose not to smoke no matter what. I think in my case the various crutches were excuses to avoid mustering the personal fortitude that it took to finally achieve long term freedom from the addiciton.
    Overweight and arrogant

Wow... Sounds pretty self righteous to me... (no offense intended...) I don't think that intolerance is the way to go... I think, patience and education is much better... You can't play Darwin anymore... To many factors in our society... Survival of the fittest will never fly in our day and age... So, tolerance and education will work better IMHO...
    You absolutely have to be a democrat

HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerbSuel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Cold Turkey

Put a rubber band around ur wrist and wear it everyday. Any time u have an urge to smoke, snap the rubber band hard against ur wrist. Reinforce a negative feedback to that urge.

Its a trick I read from various "tips" to quitting and it has helped me. Good luck.
    Phil Hendrie..... comedy gold!~

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    I quit cold turkey after 20 years of smoking, that was 6 years ago. Best advice I can give you, is don't mess around with quitting until you have made up your mind that there is no going back. If you let yourself believe that you will just have one if it gets too bad, then you are destined to fail. You have to want to be smoke free before you can sucesssfully quit. Once you are ready, then just walk away and never look back.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

rawls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

quit cold turkey here as well, smoked 20+ years but did chew a ton of huba buba gum and gained like 35 pounds thats why im back at the gym

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll have to say, not a lot of thought went into this question.
    Do you think no one ever quit smoking before nicorette gum was invented?

I quit a 3 pack a day habit in 1990, a year after stopping active narcotics addiction without medication

xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xMichaelx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ...and...
    Survival of the fittest will never fly in our day and age
    Just a quibble: "Survival of the fittest" in Darwinian terms means the ability to produce viable offspring; it can't logically be applied to forums like this.

Also, it not only "flies" in our day and age, but is pretty easy to see right here in America, where genetic diversity has been, and continues to be, vastly altered through Darwinian "fitness". Healthwise, this is a net positive.

And yeah, OP's question was kinda ridiculous.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tishalicious is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very cool...

My husband has decided to give up after 25 years of smoking, and he wants to do it without the patches and gum.

So glad to see its possible!

I gave up after 2 years, but I wasn't sure about 20+ years.
    I'm Buddha-sized and full of wisdom... and fat.
    ~
    Proud member of "Thick Chicks"
    ~
    Status: Wrist back in action - starting weights again tomorrow morning (light - don't want to re-injure!). On an IBS-friendly diet which is resulting in less sick days, and weight dropping (fricken YAY!)