Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Days off from the gym ( There is a question at the bottom)

Okay- I have posted a few times and few people seem interested in offer advice to my questions, probably because I am a neophyte and people don't want to spend time helping a rookie on a board that will be gone soon. That's okay. But I need to find some answers to some simple questions once in a while and I am seeking some general comraderie.

I am 42 years old with a wife and two young kids. I have a 45 minute commute to work and back and I work 10 hours a day. Time is at a premium at this stage in my life. I rarely post a lot of personal stuff on Q&A boards, because basically I don't think anyone wants to hear my sob stories about time. We all have them.

I go to the YMCA in the area. Have been religious for two months averaging 5-6 days a week. I started going because basically my body gave out on me. I basically worked sitting down all day and then spent the evenings sitting around heping the kids with homework and other junk.

I am no stranger to hard work. I know what this body building process will take, but I have no peers or other people to talk with about the little things that come up while I am doing this. So here I am asking dumb little questions, mostly because I would like some feed back just to keep it going.

When I go to the gym at five AM its me and ten retired guys mostly. These retired guys are not beefy monsters like the guys on this board. Once I was squatting 410 lbs (badly) which I am sure is kinda puny by any real standard, and three of them applauded me. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, I am not looking for much in terms of long conversations about my questions, just simple answers about some of the finer points.

So here's the question: work is going to get nasty for a couple of weeks. It will probably cut into the workout time. That, I am concerned about. My question is, if I know that I won't be in the gym for a few- five days what should I do about my eating. Currently I am eating about 2500 calories a day, trying to get big. Should I back off on the calories if it is a short break from the workout, or just keep up the pace?

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    2500 is way too low for a guy your size if you are trying to get big. I am eating more than that and I am cutting.

1 week off after 10 straight weeks won't hurt, it might even do you some good.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    2500 calories is fine...wtf.

Keep eating your regular diet...your body will keep building for a week while you're doing your R/L ****.

At 42, we can't eat like younger people...2500 calories to a guy who's 42 is the same as 4000 calories to a 20 year old.

You're doing fine, don't analyze this **** so much. If 2500 calories is working for you, you'll probably gain mostly muscle in your week off. Enjoy the rest and your performance will be even better when you get back.

Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Flapjack17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. I can't imagine eating 3-4000 calories a day. When you sit all day at a tube as near as I can figure, I only needed about 1500 calories.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    2500 calories is fine...wtf.

Keep eating your regular diet...your body will keep building for a week while you're doing your R/L ****.

At 42, we can't eat like younger people...2500 calories to a guy who's 42 is the same as 4000 calories to a 20 year old.

You're doing fine, don't analyze this **** so much. If 2500 calories is working for you, you'll probably gain mostly muscle in your week off. Enjoy the rest and your performance will be even better when you get back.
    respectfully have to disagree with you here

2500 is maintenance for his size, with zero exercise

If he wants to grow he needs to eat more.

I am one of those who ate really low cal to lose weight and ended up screwing myself. I won't do that again.
    Last edited by namtrag; 02-25-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

aneas
    I would not change my diet a week off is nothing.

I did 10-12 hour days for years with a one hour commute each way so I can relate. Keep at it if you can.

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    respectfully have to disagree with you here

2500 is maintenance for his size, with zero exercise
    A middle-aged man can maintain just fine on 1800-2000 calories per day even working out 6 days a week. The metabolism of a 42 year old man is not the same as that of a 22 year old man. I speak from experience.

me too. I am older than you, and I am eating 2600 and have lost 9lbs in 4 weeks.

I got tested, and 1950 is my RMR (meaning I would need 1950 to maintain as a bedridden person), so I still have to disagree with you.

Again, it is probably person by person, as most of this crap is. The O/P is trying to grow, not maintain, at least that's how I read it, so I think he needs to eat more.

I will butt out now! lol

You're special.

A degreed nutritionist would disagree with you for the caloric requirements for the average male in their 40s.

Take care.

Sometimes I think that I should go higher with the calories. I was once a 300 pounder myself and eating loads of food, even if healthy food makes me a little uneasy. I figure since I am just starting out, that I would set theroutine up solid and then start adding calories once I got sure that I was not just going to get fat again.

I figure two more months of this, and then I can see about cranking up the calories. One stage at a time.

You're special.

A degreed nutritionist would disagree with you for the caloric requirements for the average male in their 40s.

Take care.
    I trust degreed nutritionists about as far as I can throw them. Same people who say we only need 60g a day of protein.

When I got tested, the printout indicated that my 1950 rmr was "AVERAGE" for a 47 year old male who weighed 220lbs.

Here is a link to what I had done

http://www.korr.com/products/reevue_printouts_info.htm

Instead of anectdotal evidence, go get tested and then tell me I am wrong.

Again, I reiterate, the OP wants to GROW, not maintain. Read for comprehension bud
    Last edited by namtrag; 02-25-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Oh gees, now I went and started a fight.

Originally Posted by Flapjack17 View Post
    Oh gees, now I went and started a fight.
    I am surprised none of the old veterans on here have joined the fray.

Not fighting, just defending my point of view.

JC is an alright guy!

PS, whose side are you on???? lol

Like you I am an accountant. I am on the side of whoever is paying me.

My stock answer at work for any question is- "Well, that depends"

Originally Posted by Flapjack17 View Post
    Like you I am an accountant. I am on the side of whoever is paying me.

My stock answer at work for any question is- "Well, that depends"
    Good answer: followed by "I will have to get back to you on that."

Or- Can you put that in an email for me? I'll get to it later.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    FWIW everything I have read seems to back up namtrag's view. 2500 is below maintenance for someone of the OPs size.
    Overweight and arrogant

B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would overreach for the two weeks before the time off. The this will allow you to recover and make gains.

Then you can consume the same amount of cals on your time off.

I would however, since you were 300lbs, drop my carbs down and increase my fats on those days.

This is without knowing your present diet and exercise routine...

jmo
    bill

aneas
    You know my opinion. I dont count calories. Boooooring.

Just eat clean and look in the mirror every day. It aint rocket science.

prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would have to agree. That the OP had made the comment that he wanted to get big. Not sure if he meant to bulk (Big) or Cut to look (Big).
    So without knowing exactly his meaning its hard to say what his goal is. He had already stated that at one point he was 300lbs.
    I am bulking myself and take inb 4257 calories a day to gain 1.5lbs a week my weight as of today is 171. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Tim

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    2500 is below his maintenance so it's not going to work if he's looking to get big. But, he can still lose fat and hold onto lean muscle if his eating plan is tight...so the choice is his.

Nothing wrong a week off from training just make sure you stick to your eating plan and you'll be fine.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chasing40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by aneas View Post

x2 and then some....I have learned consistency and intensity far out way a calorie swing.....
    " Your only true competion in life is the person who works harder then you "

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Same here I just eat eat and eat if I am not gaining I eat some more. I was once asked on my journal how many calories do you take in, I said I have no idea. The person ask, you don't count calories I said no but I do count the bar He had no idea what I was talking about
    On the list for Bannukah

By big I mean that I want to gain muscle mass throughout the chest back and shoulders. After losing all the weight I am basically a 225 lb person in a 300 lb skin. Not horrible in cloths, but not beach worthy. I have to fill it up with something. I don't think it would be reasonable to talk about cutting, because there is no real mass there yet. I guess I should put the story of weight loss and intended mass gain in the goals section of my profile.

In the last two months I have noticed a pretty consistent increase in strength each week, but I was starting from nothing. I look loads better and my pants are looser, even though I have gained four lbs. My measurements in the chest and biceps have changed only a little.

The number of calories that people are recommending is absolutely astonishing to me.

Thanks to all, I'll keep at it.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^This.

I was almost ocd about using fitday and taking measurements. I drove myself to distraction.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

It's weird how us fat people count calories, and thin people don't

Ironic in a way.

If I didn't count calories I would shoot back up to 240 in a matter of weeks.

prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10) prrc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not true for me. I count calories because I'm a hard gainer. If I don't keep track of them I just dont take in enough in a day. If I were to stop eating when I was full I would drop weight in no time.Not good for me.

Tim
    Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    It's weird how us fat people count calories, and thin people don't

Ironic in a way.

If I didn't count calories I would shoot back up to 240 in a matter of weeks.

Both of us have our hard times! lol

If I don't count, I eat upwards of 4-5000 a day I bet. I have put on 20lbs of fat in 45 days before when I stopped counting calories.

I think that if you are a person who gains weight easily and has been fat (very fat) and you have managed to lose weight you will always keep an eye on the calories.

I just don't trust them.

The trick is to eat the good stuff, not the crap. I still don't trust them calories. The are kinda shifty looking standy over by the donut shop there.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really? 4000 calories to a 20 year old with my weight and bodyfat percentage that is just as active as me is gonna be a bit on the fluffy side. 2500 calories and I lose weight even though I am 47. Your comparison is totally wrong.
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower