sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lumbar strain during deadlift

I just started deadlifting and today was my first day I went for bigger weights (I had been working on for about 2 weeks prior).

I built up to 335x5 on my last set. My question is...

Is lumbar strain normal. I dont know if its strain like I pulled something or just my body getting used to a new exercise.

Is this something I should expect until my body gets used to it?

I checked my form in the side mirrior it I had some rounding in my upper back on my heaviest set, but my lower back was still straight.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Post a vid of you performing the lift. Can't really help much without it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sharkeh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Post a vid of you performing the lift. Can't really help much without it.
    I dont have any, and its gonna be a week

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sharkeh View Post
    I just started deadlifting and today was my first day I went for bigger weights (I had been working on for about 2 weeks prior).

Is lumbar strain normal. I dont know if its strain like I pulled something or just my body getting used to a new exercise.

I checked my form in the side mirrior it I had some rounding in my upper back on my heaviest set, but my lower back was still straight.
    You'll learn to distinguish between pain and soreness.

Because you stimulated with a stress that you haven't tried before, it's probably soreness. A slight strain is also possible.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBadger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If by "checking your form in the side mirror" you mean that you were turning your head to the side during your work set, then you really want to be careful with that... twisting your neck under heavy load is a definite no-no, much better to take a vid or get someone whose opinion you trust to watch your form for you.

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sharkeh View Post

Muscles get sore when you lift weights. As long as it's the muscles and not the spine you'll be fine. Upper back rounding is ok as long as your lower back stays tight.

Originally Posted by TheBadger View Post
    If by "checking your form in the side mirror" you mean that you were turning your head to the side during your work set, then you really want to be careful with that... twisting your neck under heavy load is a definite no-no, much better to take a vid or get someone whose opinion you trust to watch your form for you.
    ^^^^
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams