DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fast Twitch Hypertrophy

Hey fellas,
    What is the best way in your opinion to target fast twitch muscle fibres solely for hypertrophy?
    What sort of rep ranges, rest periods, etc.?
    I am especially interested in finding the ultimate tempo in theory for maximum FT hypertrophy?
    Any help would be awesome,
    Thanks
    "If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cos im gonna burn one down" - Ben Harper

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you after functional hypertrophy or just pure maximal visual size?

DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrGreenThumb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    Are you after functional hypertrophy or just pure maximal visual size?
    Maximum visual size.
    "If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cos im gonna burn one down" - Ben Harper

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Then you're going to want to get as strong as possible within the 12-15 rep range. This will give you maximal visual size but it is not the best way to train for maximal strength.

carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what would be the best rep range to split the difference between the two (visual size and functional strength) ?

Carl.
    To talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. - All Pro

Originally Posted by carl1174 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what would be the best rep range to split the difference between the two (visual size and functional strength) ?

Carl.
    You'd be looking at around 5-6 reps for a balance of both.

clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DrGreenThumb View Post
    Hey fellas,
    What is the best way in your opinion to target fast twitch muscle fibres solely for hypertrophy?
    What sort of rep ranges, rest periods, etc.?
    I am especially interested in finding the ultimate tempo in theory for maximum FT hypertrophy?
    Any help would be awesome,
    Thanks
    I think you got your question wrong...

Working out with resistance that maximally permits 4-6 repetitions increases strength without considerably increasing mass (Matveyev [Matveev] 1981). With these heavy loads the hypertrophy is confined to fast twitch fibres (Wathen 1994a).
    Resistance allowing 8-12 repetitions increases muscle mass (Wathen 1994b; Matveyev [Matveev] 1981). Each repetition should be done at slow to moderate speed. According to Bompa (1993) work on increasing muscle mass is best done in 4-8 sets (the fewer the exercises the more sets), each set done to failure, with 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. The maximum number of exercises per workout is nine.

So if it is purely aesthetics you're after, I believe it is the slow twitch fibres you are targeting.
    My Rippetoe & Wendler 5/3/1 Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113437701

"... The point, however, is this: I was fat and out of shape. And even though I'd recently squatted 1000 pounds, I really wasn't strong. I couldn't move, and I couldn't use this strength for anything other than waddling up to a monolift and squatting." -Jim Wendler

Originally Posted by clay123 View Post
    I think you got your question wrong...

Working out with resistance that maximally permits 4-6 repetitions increases strength without considerably increasing mass (Matveyev [Matveev] 1981). With these heavy loads the hypertrophy is confined to fast twitch fibres (Wathen 1994a).
    Resistance allowing 8-12 repetitions increases muscle mass (Wathen 1994b; Matveyev [Matveev] 1981). Each repetition should be done at slow to moderate speed. According to Bompa (1993) work on increasing muscle mass is best done in 4-8 sets (the fewer the exercises the more sets), each set done to failure, with 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. The maximum number of exercises per workout is nine.

So if it is purely aesthetics you're after, I believe it is the slow twitch fibres you are targeting.
    Pretty much my question is if someone is extremely fast twitch dominant what is the best way of obtaining maximum non-functional hypertrophy? I see articles recommending heavy loads, low sets, fast tempo and others recommending 8-12 reps with 3 second eccentric and explosive concentric for targetting fast twitch for hypertrophy.

clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) clay123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DrGreenThumb View Post
    Pretty much my question is if someone is extremely fast twitch dominant what is the best way of obtaining maximum non-functional hypertrophy? I see articles recommending heavy loads, low sets, fast tempo and others recommending 8-12 reps with 3 second eccentric and explosive concentric for targetting fast twitch for hypertrophy.
    Well to target the fast twitch fibres, you would be doing submaximal loads (>85% 1RM), 4-6 reps, fives are ideal, long rest periods as you won't be able to maintain reps at submaximal loads without allowing the CNS to recover between sets and maximum 6 sets per lift, more than 6 sets typically targets strength-endurance.
    My Rippetoe & Wendler 5/3/1 Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113437701

"... The point, however, is this: I was fat and out of shape. And even though I'd recently squatted 1000 pounds, I really wasn't strong. I couldn't move, and I couldn't use this strength for anything other than waddling up to a monolift and squatting." -Jim Wendler

Originally Posted by clay123 View Post
    Well to target the fast twitch fibres, you would be doing submaximal loads (>85% 1RM), 4-6 reps, fives are ideal, long rest periods as you won't be able to maintain reps at submaximal loads without allowing the CNS to recover between sets and maximum 6 sets per lift, more than 6 sets typically targets strength-endurance.
    That's what I thought, thanks a lot for clarifying man.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    rep ranges:

http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/T...training29.htm

1-5 for strength

6-8 for a nice mixture

8-12(15) for pure hypertrophy

individuals will vary