Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

'Amazing' books..

I'm looking for suggestions. I want to read something that you would describe as 'amazing'.
    I recently read A Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde and I truly thought it was incredible. I can't describe why but there was something about the way it was written that I loved so much. Similarly, I love books such as The Time Travellers Wife, 1984, Great Expectations.. Books that just have that something special about them.

Soo any recommendations? Thanks in advance

daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you read "The Kite Runner"? Its a great read.

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have you read The Mists of Avalon?

Registered User SearMeCarefully's Avatar
    SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't wait for The Time Travalers Wife to come out (the movie..if it ever does..)
    I love all those books - except Wilde's, I've yet to read that.
    I would suggest:
    Jane Eyre
    I Know This Much Is True
    Their Eyes Were Watching God
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    My Name is Asher Lev
    The Crystal Cave (maybe? it's written really well, it's the story of Merlin - some don't like that kind of stuff though)

Those are some of my favourites that I think, based off what you listed, you may enjoy =]
    They're all quite different kinds of stories/cultures as well so hopefully one of them will perk an interest
    ..perk.. Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's a young adult but so so good lol ahem - Yea books
    Last edited by SearMeCarefully; 02-24-2009 at 03:11 PM.

sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sif is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The Great Gatsby
    Middlesex

both great reads tbh
    I think I'm Malcom X, Martin Luther
    Add a King, add a Junior
    Some bible verses, couple suras
    An AK-47 that's a revolution

pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

here are some....

Classics:
    To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Catcher in the Rye
    Madame Bovary
    Anna Karinina
    Farenheit 451
    Great Gatsby
    The Sound and Fury

Contemporary:
    Virgin Suicides
    The Corrections
    The Bluest Eye, Beloved, or another Toni Morrison novel
    She's Come Undone
    Love in the Time of Cholera
    The Book Thief
    Memory Keepers Daughter
    Poisonwood Bible
    Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius
    Bel Canto
    Making the Cut :: 2009 daily fitness and food journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=275946851#post275946851

SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50) SearMeCarefully will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh yeah I think you'd like Farenheit 451 its very 1984ish lol
    The Sound and Fury is good as well but it can be tough to get used to

dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000) dunkonu9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anything your looking for in a book.

Romance
    Great literature
    Thriller
    Classic

Or just a book you could not put down?

pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pacificgrl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SearMeCarefully View Post
    Oh yeah I think you'd like Farenheit 451 its very 1984ish lol
    The Sound and Fury is good as well but it can be tough to get used to
    Totally agree.

P.S. I know this much is true is amazing!! He released another book in Jan or so. Have you read She's Come Undone?
    Making the Cut :: 2009 daily fitness and food journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=275946851#post275946851

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just read this Monday. I got it hard back copy & cheap ($5.49) at the book store:

http://www.amazon.com/Mistress-Art-D...5568224&sr=1-1

The Washington Post has a summary at the link about the book.

Chaucer meets Patrica Cronwell!
    Last edited by Deborah_Lyn; 02-25-2009 at 05:28 AM.
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10) corzzx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Some suggestions that I have heard a few times before, so I think I may be looking in to some of these.

Has anybody read A Catcher in the Rye? What is that like? I've always been interested in seeing what the fuss is about it.

Anything your looking for in a book.

Romance
    Great literature
    Thriller
    Classic

Or just a book you could not put down?
    Not too fussed on thriller or romance. The only 'thriller', if it would be classed as a thriller, that I enjoyed was 'Small Sacrifices' which was very good but too complex and quite drawn out, which I find most thrillers to be.

I can't wait for The Time Travalers Wife to come out (the movie..if it ever does..)
    Nooo I disagree! I'm afraid that it will ruin such an amazing book buy turning it into a silly 'Notebook' kind of thing. I've seen who's in it, and stills from behind the scenes, and I think it's going to be a bit of a let down. I don't see how it could possibly reflect the emotions that are given over in the book. And the stars are completely wrong, they don't look anything like I imagined Henry and Claire to be.

Originally Posted by daringone View Post
    Have you read "The Kite Runner"? Its a great read.

I keep hearing this a lot. It's sad I'm guessing?

AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmandaFit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    "The book of Negros" Amazing..

"Bookends" Amazing again I just finished it.

Hope this helps
    "Nothing happens until I make it happen"

Amanda

Originally Posted by pacificgrl View Post
    Totally agree.

P.S. I know this much is true is amazing!! He released another book in Jan or so. Have you read She's Come Undone?
    I have read that but it's been so long I need to reread it. I remember really liking it though. I haven't read his newest yet..

Originally Posted by corzzx View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Some suggestions that I have heard a few times before, so I think I may be looking in to some of these.

Has anybody read A Catcher in the Rye? What is that like? I've always been interested in seeing what the fuss is about it.

Nooo I disagree! I'm afraid that it will ruin such an amazing book buy turning it into a silly 'Notebook' kind of thing. I've seen who's in it, and stills from behind the scenes, and I think it's going to be a bit of a let down. I don't see how it could possibly reflect the emotions that are given over in the book. And the stars are completely wrong, they don't look anything like I imagined Henry and Claire to be.
    Lol I know what you mean, it will, of course be a disappointment compared to the book but it will still be fun to see. I don't think it could ever ruin the book itself though, I've read it too many times for the movie to influence future readings lol

I read the Catcher in the Rye and really didn't see anything that special about it. I of course read it after hearing how "good" it was so maybe I was expecting it to really be amazing..? I was highly disappointed and didn't even buy it or read it ever again - however tastes change over time and it has been quite some time.. lol

Chrinealine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hands down Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, ever. and I'm a very picky reader.

i read Catcher in the rye when I was in hs, kinda related to it, could relate to being angsty especially in adolescent years. other than that it's mostly quotable.

ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahez1991 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Im currently reading "my sister's keeper" its definatly not something you read to go to bed on, but it definatly makes you think
    im enjoying it immensely

Originally Posted by Chrinealine View Post
    hands down Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, ever. and I'm a very picky reader.

i read Catcher in the rye when I was in hs, kinda related to it, could relate to being angsty especially in adolescent years. other than that it's mostly quotable.
    I love Ender's Game as well. I read it about once a year (since jr high lol) Most that hate science fiction, or reading in general tend to really like this book. It is an awesome read

Originally Posted by ahez1991 View Post
    Im currently reading "my sister's keeper" its definatly not something you read to go to bed on, but it definatly makes you think
    im enjoying it immensely
    I loved this book as well - totally awesome and would second the recommendation

Yea books, I love reading

Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    *subbed great thread idea!*

Hrm...

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore (conetemporary vampire romanceish)

Neil Gaiman any and all baby!
    Ranked:
    1. American Gods
    2a. Neverwhere
    2b. Stardust
    4. Anasasi Boys

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (book blew my mind)

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Observatory Mansions by Edward Carey

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (quite possibly my favorite all time horror/suspense type book could not put this down)

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (his style of writing is like no other)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #56 ▪█─────█▪

Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwnshft is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just finished reading The Alchemist. Great great book. I highly recommend it!

money lol, lol money BeefyMcNasty's Avatar
    BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mother Night and Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut (Anything by Vonnegut is great in my opinion).

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

And others have said The Road and Farenheit 451, both are excellent.
    You bring the pepper, I'll bring the Angus.

"People will kill you over time, and how they'll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like 'be realistic.' "

**Self-Employed Crew**

**Bert Stare Bathroom Attendants Who Expect Me To Tip Them Crew**

punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50) punchdance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My two favorite books are Catcher in the Rye by Sallinger and Mao II by DeLillo. Mao II is really complex and thought provoking. If you want a book that will really make you think and affect you, you have to read it. Either book will do that for you, actually.

besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    John Steinbeck "The Grapes of Wrath"
    Joseph Conrad "Heart of Darkness"
    William Burroughs "Junkie"
    Patrick White "The Solid Mandala"
    Jose Saramago "The Double"
    Mark Twain "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
    Haruki Murakami "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"
    Margaret Atwood "The Handmaid's Tale"

Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Hishiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by besel View Post
    I heard Atwood's Blind Assassin was good too.

Originally Posted by besel View Post
    Currently 3/4 the way through the Handmaid's Tale, and have to write an essay about it for my English lang/lit coursework

Time to start building... norinicole's Avatar
    norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AmandaFit View Post
    "The book of Negros" Amazing..
    I'm reading this right now, and I cannot put it down!!

Some of my favourites:

Hidden - Victoria Lustbader
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Sevenwaters series - Juliet Marillier
    Nigger - Dick Gregory
    Mrs. Hessunit as of May 11, 2013

Originally Posted by norinicole View Post
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    There's a local bookstore where I live with signed copies of this for sale :P

besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50) besel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by corzzx View Post
    Currently 3/4 the way through the Handmaid's Tale, and have to write an essay about it for my English lang/lit coursework
    I am not surprised, a highly regarded author crossing over to a si-fi genre to write a superb futuristic vision of a dystopian society based of past social norms, a critique on fundamentalism as well as a fantastic read.

Considering most nerds believe women can't write si-fi, the writing of the book is a statement in itself. I loved it.

SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunnyAZGrl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Catcher in the Rye is definitely one of my favorites. Recently, I've also read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton which gives you an interesting perspective on global warming. Another favorite is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig and "Gone Baby Gone" by Dennis Lehane. I also recommend anything by Ken Follett, my favorite being "Code to Zero."

I have a tendency to enjoy historical political fiction, but I also quite like the classics, such as Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye and the Great Gatsby.

If you like 1984-ish books, I believe it's "Brave New World" that is somewhat similar. I haven't read it since high school though.

I seriously urge you all to read A Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde! Honestly, best ever, ever, ever.

MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MuscleSouth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Right now I'm reading "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck.
    Myfitnesspal: dwbees