Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    Again, ratios are unimportant. There's nothing special about the stupid Bill Phillipesque 40/40/20 ratio. Just keep protein constant, drop carbs from 3-5 grams a week, fat 1-2 grams every month, and keep going until you reach your desired effect. You might start out at (protein/carbs/fat) 40/40/20 (although I don't recommend it since the protein might be overkill or the carbs might be too low) and end up at 60/20/20 or 50/30/20 or 100/0/0.

BTW, keto is not a magical ratio. If you eat less than 100 grams of carbs per day, you're in ketosis. Your diet can be low in fat and still be keto.
    You seem to have some misunderstanding about keto and low carb diets.

You might be interested in listening to this...
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2...R_Show_227.mp3

Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale is the guest on this episode and explains a lot about low carb diets. He goes into great detail about the whole "ketosis" thing. It's an interesting listen...

Overall, I agree with you. Keto IS NOT A MAGIC diet. I also agree with Alan's quote in your signature as well. Calorie deficits trump all in terms of dieting.

I do believe that macro's do matter though. I'm a big believer that the OPTIMAL macro numbers for one person may be slightly or even vastly different for another person. I think this goes for bulking as well as cutting.

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Never go more than 500 below maintenance or you will be sacrificing too much muscle and/or go into starvation mode (unless you are morbidly obese)
    Really? NEVER?

These sound like absolutes. While I agree this is a good place to start, you may need to adjust if it isn't working. I've dipped more than 500 cals below maintenance and I'm pretty sure I kept most of my musclez...

tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Would something like hydroxicut help reduce body fat, has anyone had a success with it? Or is it a waste of like 40$. I do take creatine in the morning and BCAA before and after work outs, those are fine with a Cut right?

Thanks again for all this input, really appriciate it

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tehkenneth View Post
    Would something like hydroxicut help reduce body fat, has anyone had a success with it? Or is it a waste of like 40$. I do take creatine in the morning and BCAA before and after work outs, those are fine with a Cut right?

Thanks again for all this input, really appriciate it
    Before Ephedra was banned, I'd say it might be worthwhile.

But now, I'd save my money.

Annoying Middle Easterner Jay Rawd's Avatar
    Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jked4life View Post
    You seem to have some misunderstanding about keto and low carb diets.

You might be interested in listening to this...
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2...R_Show_227.mp3

Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale is the guest on this episode and explains a lot about low carb diets. He goes into great detail about the whole "ketosis" thing. It's an interesting listen...

Overall, I agree with you. Keto IS NOT A MAGIC diet. I also agree with Alan's quote in your signature as well. Calorie deficits trump all in terms of dieting.

I do believe that macro's do matter though. I'm a big believer that the OPTIMAL macro numbers for one person may be slightly or even vastly different for another person. I think this goes for bulking as well as cutting.

Really? NEVER?

These sound like absolutes. While I agree this is a good place to start, you may need to adjust if it isn't working. I've dipped more than 500 cals below maintenance and I'm pretty sure I kept most of my musclez...
    Why would macros matter?

Your macro ratio might change over time if you drop carbs/fat and keep protein constant.

Besides, macro ratios tell you nothing

What if I told you I ate a diet that was 100% protein calories? You'd think that was way too much protein. Then you'd laugh when I said all I had was a protein shake with 23 grams of protein for the entire day. 100/0/0 is the macro breakdown, yet the macro told you nothing about the AMOUNT.

What matters is amounts based on bodyweight or lean mass weight, not stupid macros. A 40/30/30 diet might look balanced and healthy until I told you it was 400000000 calories.

As far as Di Pasquale goes, I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says considering he thinks that the Anabolic Diet is actually good for putting on size.
    The middle of the road, is tryin to find me
    I'm standin in the middle of life with my pains behind me

tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tehkenneth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I usually workout mid day, and i have been eating like around 150 carbs my first 3 meals of day, then i go work out, and the last 3 meals i do alot more protein. Should i spread my stuff out more evenly through the day? My question is does it matter when you eat your protein and carbs or it is just what it equals at the end of the day that really matters?

jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000) jcosley is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
    Personally I've found all the wacky diets out there to be counter productive in the long run and the best course of action is just a well rounded normal diet with a strong exercise routine.

Patience, hard work, and balance will get you where you want to be.

Shortcuts, miracle cures, and snake oil will get you in the same place you are now except you will have wasted a year.

LOL!

I have to agree. Just watch your calories for the day...try to stay under your allowance, workout hard, get your protein and essential fats, keep your carb sources good(oats, grains, fruits, veggies).
    KettleBURN Fitness and Personal Training
    CrossFit Level 1 Trainer (CF-L1)

Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    Why would macros matter?

Your macro ratio might change over time if you drop carbs/fat and keep protein constant.

Besides, macro ratios tell you nothing

What if I told you I ate a diet that was 100% protein calories? You'd think that was way too much protein. Then you'd laugh when I said all I had was a protein shake with 23 grams of protein for the entire day. 100/0/0 is the macro breakdown, yet the macro told you nothing about the AMOUNT.

What matters is amounts based on bodyweight or lean mass weight, not stupid macros. A 40/30/30 diet might look balanced and healthy until I told you it was 400000000 calories.

As far as Di Pasquale goes, I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says considering he thinks that the Anabolic Diet is actually good for putting on size.
    1) Re read my post. I said Macro's still matter. I never said macro ratio's matter. There's a big difference. Therefore the explanation you gave me (assuming I was an idiot) is useless.

2) You didn't listen to that at all. If you had, you would have learned some more about low carb diets. He brings up a lot of interesting things, whether you like low carb diets or not. You also might have realized that you were misguided in your statement about eating less than 100g of carbs a day.

3) Your post reeks of arrogance and ignorance.

owner of saab factory kel_varnsen's Avatar
    kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    Never go more than 500 below maintenance or you will be sacrificing too much muscle and/or go into starvation mode (unless you are morbidly obese)
    is this based on any sort of empirical evidence or is is just one of those things that are just "established facts" and "common sense"?

bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluedo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think what dude was trying to say about the 500 deficit is that if you drop below 500 on a consistant basis your body will use muscle for food. A 500 def for several weeks would most certainly make someone lose more muscle than fat.

there are several ranges of ideas that use negative def and work properly.

owner of saab factory kel_varnsen's Avatar
    kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000) kel_varnsen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yes, i am sure there are plenty of ideas, but is there any evidence to support any of them?

Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jked4life View Post
    1) Re read my post. I said Macro's still matter. I never said macro ratio's matter. There's a big difference. Therefore the explanation you gave me (assuming I was an idiot) is useless.

2) You didn't listen to that at all. If you had, you would have learned some more about low carb diets. He brings up a lot of interesting things, whether you like low carb diets or not. You also might have realized that you were misguided in your statement about eating less than 100g of carbs a day.

3) Your post reeks of arrogance and ignorance.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ketosis=less than 100 grams a day, not an idiotic ratio of fat: protein: carbs.

Originally Posted by kel_varnsen View Post
    is this based on any sort of empirical evidence or is is just one of those things that are just "established facts" and "common sense"?
    Probably because one lb. of fat=3500 calories and 3500/7=500.

So to lose fat maximally without sacrificing lean mass, it's good to go by the 1 lb. of fat loss per week rule. Not to mention that cardio and weights burn additional calories, anyway, so you might come out between 1-1.5 lb. a week.

baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) baseballman86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about short cuts

I see all of you guys talking about how shortcuts and quick fixes are just bad news and obviously the best choice is just a lifestyle change, but what about something like the velocity diet? Where you sort of crash diet for 28 days, lose a lot of body fat, and then at the end you can get into a normal, healthy eating habit of solid food. I mean is that a bad plan?

DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000) DanGK is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

This article has everything you need

easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000) easye7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by baseballman86 View Post
    I see all of you guys talking about how shortcuts and quick fixes are just bad news and obviously the best choice is just a lifestyle change, but what about something like the velocity diet? Where you sort of crash diet for 28 days, lose a lot of body fat, and then at the end you can get into a normal, healthy eating habit of solid food. I mean is that a bad plan?
    You kind of answered yourself there

IMO opinion it just seems like a way to sell t-nation products.. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I have no idea if it does, but honestly, eating nothing but supplements, milled flax seed, and some peanut butter just doesn't seem healthy to me.

Originally Posted by DanGK View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm

This article has everything you need
    Alot of of what I preach comes from that article alone.