xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hammer Strength vs. Bench Press when seeking mass

My question is whether there's a difference between benching traditionally or using Hammer Strength equip. when trying to build chest mass?

Following hockey season I'd like to put on 10+ pounds in the spring. I've been lifting chest using Hammer Strength the past year or so, which allows me to lift a lot more than what I can put up on bench.

Would it benefit my goal of adding mass to start with less weight on the bench and work up OR start heavier on Hammer Strength? Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) KuruptLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like to use both.

Hammer eliminates the need for stabilizer muscles.. thats probably got alot to do with you lifting more on it..

I mean, it's totally based on what you like.

Everyones going to tell you BB bench, but there are guys that have pretty big chests on machines like hammer.

I think the best thing is a combination of both.

I tend to go heavy barbell bench (6-8 rep range, sometimes higher) then move into some higher rep (10-12) on the hammer machine. DO what feels right for you.

87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 87lifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KuruptLifter View Post
    I tend to go heavy barbell bench (6-8 rep range, sometimes higher) then move into some higher rep (10-12) on the hammer machine.
    this is similar to my protocol as well...
    Starting to suck a little less at benching...

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There's no way to equate bench with HS as far as what is lifting "heavier." They do not directly translate. That said, nobody has to bench when HS is a good alternative, but I recommend benching first and using HS as a followup movement in the same workout.
    Time To Re-Schedule

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I had to close I d go with the machine , for mass building, for safety and to be able to push past the failure point easier!

AND BECAUSE IT BLOODY DAMN WELL WORKS!
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) isaidme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use HS because it eliminates the need for a spotter when pushing
    to failure.

Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You want mass?

Eat more. The amount you put up doesn't give you 10lbs. You got to eat for that. Lifting will aid you, but only if you eat too.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hammer Strength is an integral part of my routine, but I would NEVER replace free weight movements with them.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxx_hockey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Hengman View Post
    You want mass?

Eat more. The amount you put up doesn't give you 10lbs. You got to eat for that. Lifting will aid you, but only if you eat too.
    Thanks, however I am already quite aware. I will be everything I can get my hands on. At least the good stuff

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Use both; train chest with barbell bench first, when you're fresh, and later move to machine work, where you can concentrate on simply moving the weight, and not controlling a bar, or dumbbells. HammerStrength chest presses would be a great way to "finish" your chest workout.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 02-23-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    I say do whichever you like and feel works better for you. HS gives your body a more natural range of motion...with the way the handles are angled etc. I like both, but find my elbows get sore on bench.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000) Bnk is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with what most of the posts here have already stated. A combination of the two gives you the best of both worlds. I typically start off with heavy flat barbell bench and then do my incline work on the hammer machines.