JimStechly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" help

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Etc.

For the actual workouts read below:

Note: This doesn?t include warm-up sets

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
    **2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

But.... I feel like i could be doing something else for 2 more days...like 3 days isnt enough...? Could abs and ardio go in for the 2 days i am not lifting..i am kind of confused on what i should be looking to do to gain muscle mass....Should I just follow the work out as explained...? Also, I feel like i will have a problem eating 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day..Any help would be great thanks!

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JimStechly View Post
    Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday -Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Etc.

For the actual workouts read below:

Note: This doesn?t include warm-up sets

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift
    **2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
    **2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

But.... I feel like i could be doing something else for 2 more days...like 3 days isnt enough...? Could abs and ardio go in for the 2 days i am not lifting..i am kind of confused on what i should be looking to do to gain muscle mass....Should I just follow the work out as explained...? Also, I feel like i will have a problem eating 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day..Any help would be great thanks!
    wait till you've doubled your squat and deadlift numbers. If you still feel like working out on your off days you have my personal blessing. Until then have faith in the program, you've chosen a good one.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    (If you have to ask) Yes it IS too much volume.

(if you have to ask) No, your routine is a haphazard mess, do the one in the link above.
    hehe

ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    wait till you've doubled your squat and deadlift numbers. If you still feel like working out on your off days you have my personal blessing. Until then have faith in the program, you've chosen a good one.
    pretty much

_Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000) _Ishy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Consuming 3000-4000 calories isn't hard actually.

A protein shake can provide a lot of calories (for me I use 2 scoops of whey, two cups of milk and some peanut butter, providing around 500 calories and 62ish g of protein), I have two a day.

Then a large breakfast can provide 1000 calories leaving 1000-2000 calories to be had for lunch/dinner and snacks.
    Career Mod Negs: 4