Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Achy knees from basketball

I've been playing a lot more basketball over the past year and I've never had a knee injury in my life. I wouldn't categorize my current situation as an injury either... yet.

Every time I play basketball, my knees ache for days afterward. Fish oil and the standard glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin supplementation help, for sure... but I'd like to eliminate the problem completely. Is this just part of the sport or is there a way to combat the achiness?

Thanks.

filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) filipino_muscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

foam roll

Originally Posted by tightend View Post
    I've been playing a lot more basketball over the past year and I've never had a knee injury in my life. I wouldn't categorize my current situation as an injury either... yet.

Every time I play basketball, my knees ache for days afterward. Fish oil and the standard glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin supplementation help, for sure... but I'd like to eliminate the problem completely. Is this just part of the sport or is there a way to combat the achiness?

Thanks.

I'm 37, and the foam roll saved my old-ass knees. The body is a system so, hit your legs from hip to ankle. I've played sports all my life just to let you know, and I stopped doing the glucosamine and fish oil stuff. Just youtube it. Good luck. It's freakin' painful at first.

Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jsmith512 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Foam roller FTW! Things a bitch but it really loosens up your legs, its like a massage.

Recently I got some foot orthopedics too and those have really helped. They change the way you walk and ease the pressure on your knees.

Have you been to physio about the problem?

If the pain is on the sides of your knees its likely just a tight IT band. Do you have tight hamstrings?

If the pain is above and below the knees you could have osgood schlatters disease.
    Start: W240 BF30+%
    Current: W160 BF11%
    Goal: W180 BF10%

"Through Adversity, There is redemption"-KSE

Fullback38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fullback38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fullback38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fullback38 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yupp yupp I have it I sucks I hyper extended my right knee and tore my miniscus and mcl in my left . Ice your knees.

The osgood schlatters is when your bones grow so fast that your tendens strech and pull peices of bone off .

A way you can detect it easly is after you go up and down stairs your knees could hurt . Another is to sit in a chair and if you have a bump under your knee cap.

Ya I have to go in for a MRI on fri because I think I tore somthing again and
    The osgood schlatters hits me hard in the cold. Ice n heat it's amazing
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!

e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Neoprene knee brace, makes mine feel way better the next day, keeps it very warm, so you won't be so achy.
    I smash mics like cornbread, you can't kill me I was born dead.
    USMC

Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My knees don't normally bother me... but stairs definitely suck when they ARE achy and I do have a bump below the knee when I sit down. What are the treatments for this osgood schlatter's disease? I'll definitely look into the foam rolling. I've heard so much about it; I guess it's time to learn how to do it.

ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ninjaa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Is the pain when you bend your knees? Does it hurt just below the kneecap?

If so, then it could be your tendons. I had this pain for a while and still do. I just RICE on training days, and stretch my legs a couple times a day to keep the pressure off my tendons. Could just be inflammation, so check with your doctor.

DRMc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Below could also be patellar tendonitis. I which case, more RICE.

roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Negs current month join date's on sight crew

valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50) valier will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tightend View Post
    My knees don't normally bother me... but stairs definitely suck when they ARE achy and I do have a bump below the knee when I sit down. What are the treatments for this osgood schlatter's disease? I'll definitely look into the foam rolling. I've heard so much about it; I guess it's time to learn how to do it.
    yes id also like to know the treatments for osgoode ****tsers disease please

sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Fullback38 View Post
    Another is to sit in a chair and if you have a bump under your knee cap.
    That can be misleading, everyone has a small bump there. It the tibial tubercle where your patellar tendon connects.

Originally Posted by DRMc View Post
    Below could also be patellar tendonitis. I which case, more RICE.
    Physical therapist can work wonders on this. Often this tendonitis is either caused by your quad being too tight, or a comparitive weakness in your vastus medialis causing your knee to track slightly off center
    Don't think, just eat

Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diskd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OA most commonly shows up in knees before any other joints

the hardwood is obviously high impact and pretty common for them to hurt afterwards

nsaids/ice/r.i.c.e technique is all you can do for some minor pain

Infantry stylin on ya sIghtLines's Avatar
    sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sIghtLines is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by filipino_muscle View Post
    I'm 37, and the foam roll saved my old-ass knees. The body is a system so, hit your legs from hip to ankle. I've played sports all my life just to let you know, and I stopped doing the glucosamine and fish oil stuff. Just youtube it. Good luck. It's freakin' painful at first.
    The foam roller is something amazing..def agree with using it. After you use it for a couple times it feels great
    US Army Infantry Veteran
    Follow me

***Chicago Crew***

srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry to bring an old thread back but I think I'm dealing with something related to the discussion. My knees have been bothering me for a couple of years now, now more often1. I've been playing basketball actively (at least once a week) for a few years now. I played a lot of football before but that never bothered me - I'm guessing because of the moist soil. Feels kind of like there's not enough lube in my knee or something and it's kind of hard to describe where. The only time my knees don't bother me is when I'm actually playing basketball.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon in rockville, md a few months back and he had x-rays taken and my leg around a lot. Unfortunately that day my knees weren't really bothering me so I wasn't reacting to any of the movements. I was thinking of visiting one more to make sure nothing is up. I'll go through some of the advice in this thread too, I'm not familiar with anything (foam roller, RICE, etc)
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore/Washington DC area)

moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I grew 9 inches in like 3 months when I was younger...it gave me really bad osgood. You need to stretch your quads and hamstrings a lot, and I mean a lot. I have been foam rolling and it also helps. When I had my osgood I got electrode therapy with a needle, to relieve all the fluid build up. It worked as long as I didn't do anything atheletic. Just give it lots of rest and stretch it a lot. Wear a high quality knee brace when playing basketball tho.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology - Powerlifter - Strength and Conditioning Coach - Personal Trainer
    Current goals: Bench 400, Squat 545, Deadlift 550

srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) srizvi1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For everyone here with knee trouble from Basketball? Do your knees also bother you after working out your legs in the gym? I deal with that a little - mainly when doing leg presses
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore/Washington DC area)

spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spc425 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post
    For everyone here with knee trouble from Basketball? Do your knees also bother you after working out your legs in the gym? I deal with that a little - mainly when doing leg presses
    I play a lot of volleyball and basketball and my knees kill me afterwards. Like everyone else I have to ice them afterwards or feel the pain for a couple days afterwards. I also have to be very strategic when I choose what days to play so that it won't mess with my legs day. If I play too close to legs day, then I feel it bad in my right knee when squatting. However I do notice the pain goes away once I get thoroughly warmed up. What has helped me it a patella (sp) band when I'm playing.